ULP

mike109

Fellow Frogger
G'day

I have a 20TS and have been using Super (leaded) petrol. Will these engines run on ULP or in other words, do the heads have hardened valve seats? Would this engine run on Premium Unleaded or the new "Ultra" unleaded?

It runs well on Super but it won't always be available. My father put some Ultra in his Peugeot 504 and said it ran poorly on it.

Michael

Hi Mike,

I run a CX2400 and a GS1220 (Citroens), I mucked around with there timing for a long time trying to get them to run properly on the normal leaded, but they both kept pinging and running on.

I eventualy discovered it was the shitty local (excuse for)leaded petrol that we get flogged off to us. Someone told me to try
Shell Optimax unleaded, and altough I had tried unleaded before and it was even worse than leaded this stuff is different. Since I put some of it in my cars tanks they have never run on since, and don't ping.

I don't work for shell or have any ties with them (in fact I think there leaded fuel is shit) but this stuff is good.

seeya.....

Originally posted by mike109:
G'day

I have a 20TS and have been using Super (leaded) petrol. Will these engines run on ULP or in other words, do the heads have hardened valve seats? Would this engine run on Premium Unleaded or the new "Ultra" unleaded?

It runs well on Super but it won't always be available. My father put some Ultra in his Peugeot 504 and said it ran poorly on it.

Michael

The 20TS has hardened seats but you will need to use fuel of a suitable octane rating. Shell Ultra is only 91 octane and the engine will ping. Optimax (98 octane)or normal high octane unleaded (95 octane) from the other manufacturers should be fine. The 504 doesn't have hardened valve seats but lead substitute fuel will be available from the end of this year when leaded is due to be phased out throughout Australia.
Graham