Tyres for 2008 (2017 model)

David M

Fellow Frogger
The tyres are Goodyear in 205/50R17.
I wrote initially from memory (bad) with a view to check before posting.
That’s why the size was not originally included.
I hit “send” before I checked. My bad
So as per the original post what are other people’s experience with replacing M&S tyres with a a more conventional car tyre for this model.

Last edited:
David M,
My son has recently installed four Michelin tyres on his Toyota RAV4 and now has very good braking and more refinement compared with the original tyres which were Hankook (I think).
John505

I have the same tyre question and the same car - 2008 Allure year 2017 with the Goodyear directionals. I've already concluded that any advantage they were claimed to have really only may show in European winter/slush/snow conditions, and that in OZ they're really overkill or even inappropriate.

I'd also like a tyre that (perhaps) could still do the occasional muddy country event car park/paddock but mainly normal sealed highways including country travel with the occasional dirt road - with less noise than these Goodyear directionals. However, the Goodyears seemed to have quietened down recently - maybe because I've done 30K on them? Local tyre fitter also implied that directionals "aren't made any more". Maybe true.

I'm happy with any reasonably good brand with perhaps a chunkier tread than the average eco-type tyre that is marketed by most brands. I recently put Yokohamas on my 207 (four for the price of three!) to replace Michelins and they seem fine. Maybe I don't even need the "chunkier tread" criterion.

The traction control feature is always set to "on" and I have a feeling that this works quite well when (for example) you need to get one wheel into the gravel on a narrow dirt road. car seems to take that scenario very well indeed which I put down to the traction feature.

Last edited:
I had a set of Michelin pilot sport 3 on my 308 which were awesome, I replaced them earlier this year with a set of Michelin Primacy and I am equally impressed and happy with them. The Primacy tyres probably aren’t as sporty as the previous pilot sports, however, they are quiet, probably a bit softer on the road but still turn in well into corners and feel great in the wet and dry.

It would help if people would identity the tyre type they speak of. Michelin is a brand, not a tyre, Primacy is a range, not a tyre (a Primacy LC is different to an ST, Primacy 3 or the new Primacy 4). It also helps to identity size as the 2008 has at least 2 sizes & the size tyre options vary radically.

cheers! Peter

To clarify, I was referring to the following tyres;
Previous Tyre - Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Current Tyre - Michelin Primacy 3ST
Tyre size 205/55r16 (most likely different to the 2008)

Yep, ta.
Interestingly, if the 2008 in question had 16" wheels then the tyres seem to be 195/60. One thought I had was shifting to (near identical circumference) 205/55 as that move gives access to a vastly superior range of tyre options without any downside that I can see.
(Ride would be near undetectably affected.)
Pointless exploring this though if the wheels in question are 17". Which, it has been clarified, they are.

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
In 205/50-17, you have a splendid short list available. I agree with you that moving to regular passenger tyres of a mildly sporting sort is warranted. Some of what I recommend sound, in name, overly sporting but would not, I suggest, "rattle your teeth". Go too far down the comfort path & the price is soggy response. Price (excluding promotions) will be 200-250 each.

In my judgement, the tyre which most suits your desired profile is Michelin's Pilot Sport 4. At the moment, it & the Conti PremiumContact 6 are class leaders but the PC6 (although listed by Jax) might not be available. If it is, I'd choose it if a "$100 off for a set of 4" promo obtains when you are ready to buy. Michelin do these promotions as well (just not now on the PS4).

Go to the following links & hit the "all tests" tab.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Tyre Reviews

Continental Premium Contact 6 - Tyre Reviews

So, that's the short list.

But there's a very good shortish list as well.

First up is another Conti, the SportContact 5. Despite the different seeming names, the best way of thinking of it is as the predecessor to the PremiumContact6. Some deliberate category blurring is being done (& the SportContact6 is decidedly more sporting then either). Were a promo to obtain at purchase time, you might wish to consider the SC5. It was class leader for a good while & is particularly strong as a "wet tyre".

Continental Sport Contact 5 - Tyre Reviews

A small step down in wet grip but a bit crisper in response is Bridgestone's Adrenalin RE003. I consider this to be a very nice tyre in every respect except longevity (the usual trade-off for wet-grip). (I'm fitted several sets in 215/60-16 to my wife's & a daughter's Foresters.) I mention it because Bridgestone can do some lovely promotion deals. Check at the beginning of the next month if nothing seems to be offering (like now). Jax is the easiest website to do this on.

Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 - Tyre Reviews

As it's not a European line, there are not any listed tests (my data come from Australian sources like Choice & the oz motor magazines) but some of the user reviews might be of interest though are to be viewed with some caution.

Below these, there's a very good "medium list" But I can't see why you should choose any of them over the above 4 - given your stated priorities. If anyone has an unmentioned-by-me suggestion, then I am willing to give my reasons for not supporting it. Mostly, these are drawn from the tests summarised at the Tyre Reviews site.

cheers! Peter

I have the same tyre question and the same car - 2008 Allure year 2017 with the Goodyear directionals. I've already concluded that any advantage they were claimed to have really only may show in European winter/slush/snow conditions, and that in OZ they're really overkill or even inappropriate.

I'd also like a tyre that (perhaps) could still do the occasional muddy country event car park/paddock but mainly normal sealed highways including country travel with the occasional dirt road - with less noise than these Goodyear directionals. However, the Goodyears seemed to have quietened down recently - maybe because I've done 30K on them? Local tyre fitter also implied that directionals "aren't made any more". Maybe true.

I'm happy with any reasonably good brand with perhaps a chunkier tread than the average eco-type tyre that is marketed by most brands. I recently put Yokohamas on my 207 (four for the price of three!) to replace Michelins and they seem fine. Maybe I don't even need the "chunkier tread" criterion.

The traction control feature is always set to "on" and I have a feeling that this works quite well when (for example) you need to get one wheel into the gravel on a narrow dirt road. car seems to take that scenario very well indeed which I put down to the traction feature.

I think that the tyre which might suit that brief best is BF Goodrich's T/A Drive. (I can pass no empirical comment on noise beyond observing that most manufacturers minimise things by irregular spacing of the tread elements & avoidance of compressible air traps. This tread seems to comply with those principles.

It is well outclassed as a road tyre (especially in the wet) by the tyres that I have earlier mentioned but is not rubbish & certainly looks more dirt-traction capable than others available in the size. It also has the merit of being an "extra load" variant. The usual way of achieving XL rating is to have 2, rather than 1, sidewall polyester plies; this increases its chances of resisting sidewall trauma without rupturing.

A small bonus at the moment is $50 off (on a set of 4).

BFG is a division of Michelin.

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
Interesting. Reputable tyre dealer I've used whom I visited on an unrelated matter the other day (daughter's car with nail in tyre - excellent and prompt fix) mentioned these as an option outside the Muchelin/Conentinental/eco offerings. I've about another year or so left on the Goodyears and I may try the Goodrich unless the goalposts have moved again. Didn't realise they were owned by Michelin. Thanks

I think that the tyre which might suit that brief best is BF Goodrich's T/A Drive. ( I can pass no empirical comment on noise beyond observing that most manufacturers minimise things by irregular spacing of the tread elements & avoidance of compressible air traps. This tread seems to comply with those principles.

It is well outclassed as a road tyre (especially in the wet) by the tyres that I have earlier mentioned but is not rubbish & certainly looks more dirt-traction capable than others available in the size. It also has the merit of being an "extra load" variant. The usual way of achieving XL rating is to have 2, rather than 1, sidewall polyester plies; this increases its chances of resisting sidewall trauma without rupturing.

A small bonus at the moment is $50 off (on a set of 4).

BFG is a division of Michelin.

cheers! Peter

Thanks so much Peter.
I have read the reviews that you posted.
My preference will be for the MPS4 as I have just had them fitted to a newly acquired Renault Latitude. On this car they provide the parameters that I wanted for the 2008. Really good grip on acceleration out of corners and a huge leap over the roadworthy Dunlops that were fitted before purchase.

David

Thanks so much Peter.
I have read the reviews that you posted.
My preference will be for the MPS4 as I have just had them fitted to a newly acquired Renault Latitude. On this car they provide the parameters that I wanted for the 2008. Really good grip on acceleration out of corners and a huge leap over the roadworthy Dunlops that were fitted before purchase.

David

I can't imagine that you'll anything but happy with them but you might want to wait to see if there's a promo on them in August.

You might also pass on your impressions of them after they've settled a bit.

Be aware that tyres vary in ways which mean that you might want to modify the front/rear pressure relativities to get the behaviour profile you want. I'd predict lower fronts &/or higher rears might he advised if you like the current balance on the current tyres.

Well, last week we had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 fitted to the Peugeot 2008.
It had Goodyear Mud and Snow tyres as OE. They were probably overkill for our use which is mainly outer suburban travel accessed via 2km of gravel road.

Cost $210 per tyre, $840 all up less the $100 cash back for November.
The car has just ticked over 50Kkm.

First impression of them is that they are significantly quieter on smooth surfaces.

They also appear a bit more supple in the sidewall. Speed humps are travelled less harshly, seemingly working the suspension less. Far less intrusion through the cabin and more comfortable.

Cornering is fun. Grip levels are high, it’s easy to change line in a corner at speed. The car feels really planted.
Road imperfections mid corner don’t affect the handling nearly as much as the previous M&S tyres.

Overall, the tyres are expensive. The current Michelin discount helps a bit. There has been a really noticeable improvement to the handling and comfort of the Peugeot. It’s an extra level of confidence and control that was clearly lacking in the Goodyear’s. It’s a worthwhile change we think.

I would like to thank Peter (4cvg) for his advice in this thread, as well as a couple of PMs. Our local tyre suppliers wanted to fit the harder Primacy tyres (of which there were 3, from memory) for about the same price. I have the PS4s on my Renault Latitude so I was pretty confident to choose them again.

My suspicion from what you say would be that the Goodyear OE tyres have a double ply (so-called XL) sidewall.

Nice to hear that the PS4 suit.

Last edited: