Tyres for 150x390 rims, Pug 505 STI

dbc

Fellow Frogger
A friend who owns a 1984 505 STI needs to replace the tyres. They are Michelin 190/65 HR 390 tyres on 150x390 alloy ‘Cromodorm’ rims. The alloys are made in Italy, wherever the hell that is. His problem is that replacement tyres are very expensive and he was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. What other size tyres might fit this rims? I read in a previous discussion that the easiest(?) way may be to buy new rims to replace the metric STI rims. If this is the case it could be cheaper to buy new tyres, and keep the metric rims, which do look quite good.
Has any one else had faced this problem?

If this is the case it could be cheaper to buy new tyres, and keep the metric rims, which do look quite good.

The metric rims do look great, BUT and what a BUT.......

Firstly the tyres for them seem to be thin on the ground at the moment and Secondly they cast an arm and a leg..... almost literally RE $200+ :eek: I seem to remember.

Where a set of not so nice but practicle steel rims will set you back about Maybe $100 a set (a wild guess but cannot see it being more than that) and if you get a decent $100 tyre on each wheel you still come out in front.

So $500-600 for steel rims and tyres VS $approx800 for metric tyres.

BTW most of the prices are estimates but you get he idea..... Also possible to get STi rims changed to other sizes by cut and weld its in another thread somewhere on here.....

Jono :D

you are looking at closer to $400 a tyre so it's really $1600 for a set

superlight wheels are around $250ea = $1000 so for $600 left over is a good amount for new tyres

Liam Wishart said:
I've got a better option - take a holiday in Queensland and buy the 14inch alloy wheels I've got for sale http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8736 :mallet: banging head on desk - I can't believe I've these for sale since August last year, and they haven't sold!! :confused:

and they are $300 cheaper than another identical set for sale on the board as well :D

pugrambo said:
superlight wheels are around $250ea = $1000 so for $600 left over is a good amount for new tyres

15" Superlites should cost no more than $210 each, $195 for 14". So brand new alloys are looking an even better option.

John

peujohn said:
15" Superlites should cost no more than $210 each, $195 for 14". So brand new alloys are looking an even better option.

John

yeah i was just working on a worse case scenario

i think i was quoted $230 a while back for 15" through a tyre dealer but i'd say if you went straight through the manufacturer you would be better off

they are a great looking wheel though

Ray Bell said:
Liam... what's the actual tyre situation on these rims?

Please be specific.

Ray, there specifically are no tyres on the alloy rims - I sold them about 18 months ago. There is a horrid bridgestone 195/75/14 on the steel spare wheel. I can repost photo's on that thread if you are interested.

dbc said:
A friend who owns a 1984 505 STI needs to replace the tyres. They are Michelin 190/65 HR 390 tyres on 150x390 alloy ‘Cromodorm’ rims. The alloys are made in Italy, wherever the hell that is. His problem is that replacement tyres are very expensive and he was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. What other size tyres might fit this rims? I read in a previous discussion that the easiest(?) way may be to buy new rims to replace the metric STI rims. If this is the case it could be cheaper to buy new tyres, and keep the metric rims, which do look quite good.

I recently went through the the exact same problem.

The only real cost effective resolution in keeping the current rims is retreads, which is not recommended.

The Michelin 390 TRX tyres are bloody expensive, as Pugrambo suggested, $400 odd per tyre. The plus side of these tyres is that they wear very slowly due to their hard compund. The negative is that they are terrible in the wet. Sheesh, from my experience, they aren't great in the dry either.

The answer is simple, get rid of those rims and tyres. I know it might be a bit painful as the rims do look good.

If you do want to keep the same style of rim on the STI, start hunting around for a set of 505 GTI 15' rims. These are the same style as the STI rims, but fit 'normal' tyres.
The only problem you will face here is actually finding a set and depending on condition, you'll be up for around $900 for an average set and $1500 for a good set. That's not including tyres.
I got lucky and found a set of the GTI rims at PugWreck in Bayswater for $700. Before that, I was going to by the 14' Amil rims that Liam is selling.
I'd suggest going for these, they look good and are a damned good price too.

TRX

TRX is one option; another, perhaps better, option is the AVON tires that are available in the Sony Betamax;), err I mean TRX Metric size. The AVONs, aside from being cheaper than TRX tires, also have a softer compound.

See if there are any AVON tire suppliers Down Under. They're made in GB.

M. Tippett said:
TRX is one option; another, perhaps better, option is the AVON tires that are available in the Sony Betamax;), err I mean TRX Metric size. The AVONs, aside from being cheaper than TRX tires, also have a softer compound.

See if there are any AVON tire suppliers Down Under. They're made in GB.

there are AVON suppliers here but the prices for them are pretty close to the same for the michelins

there isn't a lot of difference in the price and as far as i can gather the AVONS are a softer tyre

i'd nearly want them made of gold for near $400ea and as for the grip levels either wet or dry the TRX leave a lot to be desired

i have had a couple of the AVON tyres as well and they were a bit softer but still no where near as good as other tyres for near 1/3 of the price

if your mate was near willing to spend $1600 on tyres then i'd say he would be better off getting hold of the makers of the superlight wheels and go from there bearing in mind that is still a fair price for wheels and tyres but the benefit is you can get the superlights in 15" as well and for around $800 for a set is a cheaper alternative to the 15" version of the TRX wheel that you might find 2nd hand

Hi all,
new to this forum as a user but have been a frequent, and impressed, visitor.
Having suffered 505 wheel woes since 84, and last time I looked unable to find suitable replacement mags at reasonable price, I am interested in the Superlite wheels mentioned. Does anyone have a picture/description (an internet search brings up old style and expensive UK wheels) and supplier details?
Advice appreciated.

givita_burl said:
Hi all,
new to this forum as a user but have been a frequent, and impressed, visitor.
Having suffered 505 wheel woes since 84, and last time I looked unable to find suitable replacement mags at reasonable price, I am interested in the Superlite wheels mentioned. Does anyone have a picture/description (an internet search brings up old style and expensive UK wheels) and supplier details?
Advice appreciated.

ok check this site out and you will get an idea

http://www.performwheels.com.au/super_lite_wheels.htm