TYRE WEAR - opinions please

renn_205

Fellow Frogger
hello every one

i now have my most wonderful and very excellent s3 15s wheels on. thankyou very much cosmo.

and to those who scoffed at the asking price, there is not so much as a scratch on them. they are in MINT condition, even i'm surprised! :D

further to that i got these 5 with rubbers for what i would get for a set of 4 with rubbers. and they have a lot more tread than what i was expecting. dance

before i get achance to put them on i thought i might ask for some more opinions. one pair is slightly more worn than the other, obviously the previous front ones. they are directional. which one should i put at the front?

my thought is to put the most worn on the nose and then switch to the back in say 6mths or so when they are not to worn to be used at all. then leaving the fresher pair backup the front. this would seem to prolong their use? yes yes??

or

i could put the fresh ones on the nose and just keep replacing the front ones as need be, whilst riding the rear ones out? assuming that i buy more front ones that rear ones, which i'm not sure. what your experience in tyre wear?.

just thinking about it either of those situations don't seem to avoid the chance that by the time the front need replacing so do the rears and i have one massive ouchie to the wallet! cry
i guess i'm asking about wear rate at front at rear. what do you reckon.

anyone used or heard of "Dunlop Dignos D01" before?

Hi there,
having worked in tyre shop, we always recommended to put your best tyres on the front- after all if you lose it (understeer) more because your front tyres were bald(ing) then it's probably too late!

Whatever the reason, but probably more so with a FWD, you want your best tyres on the front end at all times.
Cheers Ben

Yep, best tyres on the front all of the time. I haven't heard anything about the Dignos D01s.

Hi Ben,

It's funny.. I always thought that.. but NRMA recently released a statement saying that new tyres should be on the back... this stops the loss of the rear end...

With older tyres on the front, if understeering occurs, peopels first reaction is wind on more lock and back off the throttle... which is what you are supposed to do....

if you lose the rear end (in a FWD) you are to opposite lock a little and power down.. (pull out of the spin/slide)... but peoples normal reaction is to lift off...

personally.. newer on the front...
Justin

Renault17:
Hi there,
having worked in tyre shop, we always recommended to put your best tyres on the front- after all if you lose it (understeer) more because your front tyres were bald(ing) then it's probably too late!

Whatever the reason, but probably more so with a FWD, you want your best tyres on the front end at all times.
Cheers Ben

thanks all

justin, i hope pugsley is behaving, and not showing to much of his character!

iv'e actually put the slightly more worn ones on the front, but they are only fractionally more worn they are no where near bald. u can't tell visually, i had to measure. both have around 3/4 tread left.

i might change them now that u've said that. but i ws going to wear them a bit more then change around at xmas.

is there a difference between series 1/2 and series 3 wheel bolts? mine fit just stick out heaps.

The S1 wheel nuts are fine, I ran them on my old car without any issues.

S3 nuts look better though.

Justin B:
Hi Ben,
if you lose the rear end (in a FWD) you are to opposite lock a little and power down.. (pull out of the spin/slide)... but peoples normal reaction is to lift off...

personally.. newer on the front...
Guys on a slight off shoot, some/most might not agree, but im not a big fan of the above mentioned "pull out of the spin/slide" or otherwise known as "if in doubt power out"... our first reaction should be brakes,... simply first one to press on the brakes, is ussualy the first one to stop.
I back this up with both track and advance course experiance..
I realse some will disagree, but id hate to find out the hard way.
As for tyres, the only time you will really notice change is when really pushing (ie;-the tread blocks get hot) or in the rain.
But better in the front sounds fair. cheers - chris

<small>[ 18 October 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: CHRI'S16 ]</small>