Two new racecars in NZ

That Garage is waaay too tidy. Shame it's an up to 2 litre class, as long as they're a sensible bunch of guys (well as sensible as racers get) it should be fun. Good Luck.

That Garage is waaay too tidy. Shame it's an up to 2 litre class, as long as they're a sensible bunch of guys (well as sensible as racers get) it should be fun. Good Luck.
Don't worry, he's only been there a year or two. It will mellow with time. :)

Hi All,
I am sorry but time didn't allow me to do any keyboard stuff this week. My excuse is a mixture of car and work-related. Yes, I am on pension but I have been called back and now I'm doing some contracting for them.
The race was a mix of good and bad, so let's make it average. I think my car's age is showing as I have had another cracked crank pulley. Dauphproto, you can now say "I told you so" but somewhere in my mind there is resistance to things expensive and others that is a rip-off. I moved your suggestion of the Ford pulley to the latter but now sucking up the consequences. It happened in November last year but a guy at the track had a welder and welded it for me. Two races later that welding cracked as well and that was after I inspected it and made my new timing marks on it. From checking it earlier in the week to breaking in 5 laps during qualifying. So I was running around frantically at the track trying to track down someone with a welder. Eventually, one guy said he lived close to the track and we can go to his house to weld it. I stripped the back out and got the pulley off, picked him up, and went to his house. He mig welded it for me, the front and back of the pulley. Back at the track, I assembled everything, and when I started the car the welding at the back of the pulley caught against the timing cover. So I stripped everything again and couldn't file it down because the pulley is convex and the file goes over the welding. Then I managed to scrounge around amongst all the drivers and found a bigish ciclip that went over the crank. I pushed it in with the pulley so it acted as a spacer at the back and brought the pulley forward, enough to clear the timing cover. All this and just in time for the last race.
That was not all, My exhaust has now finally collapsed as well after 14 years of racing. (14 seasons)I am now busy building a new one and it has to be finished, and the new pulley from a newer Renault R9, before we go racing again at Taupo on the 25th of November. Taupo is about 4 hours from my house so I would like to have a trouble-free event.
How did it go?? The car was very good in qualifying and I qualified 7th out of 19 cars and I was in the 0-2000cc class. competition ranged from BMWs, Hondas, Toyotas, and through to Daihatsus. My personal best on this track, Hampton Downs is 1:23.0. This time I had 2 of the 4 laps in the 1:23s. In the one race I had, I made a big mistake, I fuelled up for the normal 8-lap race we have and lo and behold I did not see in the program that it was a 12 lap race. I was leading the race comfortably and when I realised that the end was not coming I started to slow down a bit. It did not help as I ran out of fuel on the last lap. I made it to the flag but the car was cutting out and surging with an empty tank Coming home in 6th.
Very eventful, but happy.
The video will have to wait but I will let you know when it is on YouTube.
Photos show the start of the new extractor, the old one with holes, and bragging again with my hoist that works very well, lift the car with a battery drill and tilt it until you have a comfortable height. The photo shows the hoist about halfway up.

thumbnail_IMG_1289.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1290.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1291.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1293.jpg

Regards, Frans.

You got your money's worth out of the Exhaust!!!
Is there no ford Suppliers in your Locality? Mind you I suppose the Ford products Sold in the Antipodes were nothing like Ford Euope, which is probably good.
Other options include, using off the Peg Alloy pulleys from the bearing shop, which you can machine yourself and use a drill for the keyway then a file. Do you know anybody with a CNC lathe????? You can go custom Steel..

It's a simple job to cut a pulley on a lathe, just a bit tedious if you start with a piece of raw stock.
Only hitch is cutting a nice keyway. I came across this problem myself and in the end decided to get a broach. It is a cheap one but these things are expensive. Even the cheap ones. I just chose a size I know I will use again.

In the end I am not sure it would be cheaper for Frans than buying the expensive pulley but if he has to make another one, he will be well on the way to get his money back.

The extractor has moved on ever so slightly. After 473 sit-ups and 57 burns from molten metal droplets, I have now taken it off and the final welding can commence!!

The new toothed wheel is being made and will be done soon. The company's laser-cutting manager said he would drop it off at my house. I asked him how he knew my address. "There is only one little blue car like that and I have driven past your house many times". It sometimes pays to do some shopping in the G. He was so good as to make 3 of these wheels for me because the company's minimum charge is $90.00, and that is how he made-up the rest of the money. He could have made only one and charged me $90.00.
Thi is what happened in the meantime.

thumbnail_IMG_1320.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1318.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1322.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1323.jpg

Now for the permanent welding to be done and then a high-temperature coating.

Does anybody know if there are different colours that might last longer than others?

Regards Frans.

I have managed to complete the extractors and to make a new/secondhand pulley for the toothed wheel. Fitted them up and went racing last Sunday. That is what the new Pulley looks like. I got hold of a pulley from the 1400 R9 and then I machined the outer part off. I had a new toothed wheel laser cut and welded it on. These pulleys have a loose collar that slides over the crank and into the keyway. Then the V-part is held on with a decent size washer. After fitting and calibration of the timing I drilled 2 holes through the pulley and into the collar for the 2 roll pins that are knocked in there and that is to keep the timing in the correct position when I remove it for some reason. I drilled the roll pin holes off-center so that I could not put it back and be 180 degrees out.

This post is just to show and tell you what happened in the last few weeks. In the meantime, I have edited and uploaded the video of the previous race, which is when the pulley broke again on the old weld.

There is a link to the video at the bottom of the post.

This is the double pulley that I removed the outer.

thumbnail_IMG_1284.jpg

The factory weld at the back of the pulley.

thumbnail_IMG_1360.jpg

The front wasn't welded so I did it for security. That is the small radius weld at the crank bolt area.

thumbnail_IMG_1359.jpg

Regards Frans.

The link to the video :

There are 2 more video to do of Sundays race.

That 4 into 1 collector Franz, is that a circle plate, then wrapped in a cone to reduce it to the outlet?

Noice.

Bowie, that I learned at school in Tech Drawing. I don't know the terminology of it but you draw something flat, one-dimensional and then when you fold it up it becomes the object you intended it to be. Then to finalise it you add tabs etc for welding or riveting it.

I made an entry list from the program and took the qualifying times from the transponder list and combined it for you to see the other cars' descriptions.

Qually.jpg

A video of the race with a new crank pulley and new extractors. Got a new PB as well. Apologies for the camera sound.

Regards Frans.

So the extractors are working as planned?
Yes, I would say so, however, I have just copied the old one that I made in 2008. It is now so thin that holes are falling in all over and I can't even patch it anymore. The photo shows the old one before it was fitted to the car. Still nice and in white which didn't last long!

It is a calculated length and diameter and all 4 are within 10mm from one another. The formula I use is copied from a USA book that gives you primary and secondary lengths and diameters.

IMG_0025-1.JPG

The previous one.

Regards, Frans.

Frans.

I hadn't realised the new ones were a copy of the old - I imagined that the PB was the result of extra power!!!

Just watched that new vid Frans. Never before have I seen a better argument for leaving a handbrake in a race car.

You pulled it up like a champion. Glad its ok.