turbocharging a 1985 505 GTi.

jacques de mort

Fellow Frogger
I have rebuilt the suspension, brakes and steering on my car. Next is the engine, gearbox and differential. What is the possibility of fitting a turbocharger to a newly rebuilt 2.2 4cyl engine and drivetrain?
I understand that turbo models were made in lhd form, but could not be made with rhd.
I am not looking for big bhp, rather than increased torque in the 1000 to 4000 rpm area that I drive in. Any ideas or advise?

I saw this set up at a French Car Day on 2013 in Brisbane. I know it's a 504 and not sure what motor, but thought I'd post it if in case it may be helpful

P1100871.jpg

P1100872.jpg

The turbo was for a different motor but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Perhaps you could trawl EBay US for parts.

Thanks for your reply, pugnut1. this looks like a tidy set up. will make enquiries nat turbo dealers, but would still like a Peugeot turbo.

The 505T had a linerless Simca block (N9T). Having a head gasket that holds up may be an issue with the open face liners. That's probably why Peugeot went with the iron block Simca engine.

Renault turboed the Douvrin engine with success.

The 505T had a linerless Simca block (N9T). Having a head gasket that holds up may be an issue with the open face liners. That's probably why Peugeot went with the iron block Simca engine.

I believe the owner of the car in the photo is a a member here, just cant recall his handle.

That's my Peugeot 504 with the turbo. It's a 2 litre cast block XN2 engine, completely different to the 2.2 litre motor. Ask Stew. He turbocharged a Peugeot 404 with the 2.2 litre motor.

I had a 504 turbo in the late 70/s and once the heat from the turbo melted the rubbers in the brake master cylinder and I had to fit a heat shield after that .Maybe that is why they were not made in RHD .

I have rebuilt the suspension, brakes and steering on my car. Next is the engine, gearbox and differential. What is the possibility of fitting a turbocharger to a newly rebuilt 2.2 4cyl engine and drivetrain?
I understand that turbo models were made in lhd form, but could not be made with rhd.
I am not looking for big bhp, rather than increased torque in the 1000 to 4000 rpm area that I drive in. Any ideas or advise?

The same motor iis n my car, slightly warmed up with after market efi, extractors, mild head work etc etc, and it is a ball tearer in NA form, especially in the rev range you quoted.

The dream was to go turbo one day, but I didn't even get as far as fitting high comp pistons (the next step in NA) before it just got too powerful to be sensible or to bother taking it further.

I wonder how much more you would need??

Renault turbo'd that motor, but there were a few mods they did to the block…. enlarged piston oil squirters, strengthening brace over crank caps.

If you want to go forced induction, would a little super charger off a late model car be worth considering??

Jo

If you keep the stock pistons I wouldn't go much past 10 psi. If you ran a Garrett gt2860rs with integrated waste gate, it will spool up very quickly and be fairly efficient at the power levels you are after.

The turbo is pretty easy to hook up as you can run the oil feed directly from one of the oil circuit block off ports on the exhaust sie of the block. You can run the oil drain straight into the Renault dipstick tube location that is normally blank on the pug version iirc. There is a water line running alongside the manifold that offers easy connectin for cooling.

I had a 2.2 with 9.7:1 cast pistons in the Fuego with a T3 hybrid running 8psi. It had minmal lag due to the high c/r and by 2500 it was like you'd inserted another 4 cylinders under the bonnet. Really was a torque monster for such a simple install. It did have a large oil cooler and very efficient intercooler which probably helped the factory internals survive. I'm sure you wold be more than satisfied with the power gains 8psi gives.

You can get a cast Turbo manifold from a Renault 21 Turbo. It will.bolt up but you will need to machine the ridge from the turbo flange flat

Unfortunately, turbo grunt tends to be addictive and you start chasing more. On the first motor I eventually had a piston ring land fail at 16psi (although a boost control issue may have contributed to some boost spikes)

I've now gone for overkill with the n
ew motor build with Forged Pistons and High Strength liners (a weak poin the on the open deck wet sleeve configuration) should see it handle 30psi

Last edited:
There have been a few froggers over the years with various turbo setups on the 505, sharpen up your google skills and find the gold:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/technical-performance/100970-how-much-powahhhhh-can-take-505-a.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/26523-twin-turbo-505-v6.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/technical-performance/18124-505-turbo.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/cars-sale-wanted/29532-eoi-505gr-gti-turbo.html

The Executive GTI models were on paper an optimistically rated 150 hp from the Douvrin engine, you'd need to ask someone with one to check the details of the injection system, so it was possible to have fun N.A.

For fun check out the EB2 engine with 3 cylinders at 10.5:1 and some silly amount of boost above 20psi to get its 130 hp out of 1.2l and roughly 100kg package weight.

Thanks to all fellow froggers who have replied. A mountain of information and tips to consider.
I foolishly thought a 505T engine was a 505 GTi engine with a turbo fitted.
Obviously not so.

I will not be rebuilding the engine and transmission until next year, so, much time to think.

Improving the gas flow of the cylinder head and/or forced induction are options. I know a lot more about them thanks to your help.

A Seniors Card holder, responsible driver and Peugeot enthusiast for many years, I still look forward to the joy of pissing B.M.W. drivers off.

Executives were still rated at 130 hp. The most powerful standard 2.2 Douvrin had 140 hp, in the 12 valve Renault Safrane.

There have been a few froggers over the years with various turbo setups on the 505, sharpen up your google skills and find the gold:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/technical-performance/100970-how-much-powahhhhh-can-take-505-a.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/26523-twin-turbo-505-v6.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/technical-performance/18124-505-turbo.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/cars-sale-wanted/29532-eoi-505gr-gti-turbo.html

The Executive GTI models were on paper an optimistically rated 150 hp from the Douvrin engine, you'd need to ask someone with one to check the details of the injection system, so it was possible to have fun N.A.

For fun check out the EB2 engine with 3 cylinders at 10.5:1 and some silly amount of boost above 20psi to get its 130 hp out of 1.2l and roughly 100kg package weight.

Don't forget that you'll either have to change over to carbie(s) or seriously upgrade the injection. Seems like a lot of work just to annoy BMW drivers. My experience is that just being there with a 30yo daily driver seems to cheese off all sorts.

Have fun,

Rob.

LPG is another option.

If you convert to LPG you can use a Gas Research throttle body. They work well in a blow through configuration, are simple to setup and adust and far easier to get registered.

There was a 505gti in the PCCV with a Gas Research bolted to the factory manifold. It seemed to fit well. If it ran anywhere as well as the Fuego it'd be a hoot.

Thanks, mistareno,
this is an option I know nothing about, but can research it. Any more info appreciated. I really don't like the idea of drilling into oil feeds and blanked off coolant galleries.
Your point about registration,(and possibly insurance), was an interesting point. Thanks.

Assuming you currently have an auto (via a vis transmission ), I would consider an upgrade to manual transmission first.
I did this with my GTI Executive a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk