Turbo whistle

nJm

Guru
1000+ Posts
I am curious to know why my 505GR sounds like a WRX... has sounded like this since I bought it, and its since had a comprehensive service at a Pug place, and it still has a turbo whistle. Its always there, from idle up to the redline.

I've heard a few other carb 505's and they don't seem to have it. I'm pretty sure all my vacuum hoses are new and connected propperly. What else could it be?

thanks

Have you looked at the brushes on your alternator? you can try disconneting the exciter feed and starting the motor, alternator should be load-free then. Other possible items could include belts, water pump bearing.... cooling fan(?)... passanger whistling on the back seat? wink

nJm:
I am curious to know why my 505GR sounds like a WRX... has sounded like this since I bought it, and its since had a comprehensive service at a Pug place, and it still has a turbo whistle. Its always there, from idle up to the redline.

I've heard a few other carb 505's and they don't seem to have it. I'm pretty sure all my vacuum hoses are new and connected propperly. What else could it be?

thanks
Nick,

Most of these Pug pushrod engines have that noise. Many people comment on it, especially people who have been in my car when I give it heaps, but personally I can't hear the noise.

Maybe the fact that I've been travelling in these cars since I was 2 years old has made this noise inaudible to me. Or maybe I just associate this noise with Peugeots and not turbos, so when I get in a turbo car I might think it sounds like a Pug rather than the other way around!

When a friend of mine fitted twin Webers to his 2 litre 404, he was dissapointed because it no longer made the "turbo sound".

Dave

This noise doesn't occur on C3 gearbox models, I had thought that it was the clutch thrust bearing.
That is until I put a diaphram clutch on a C3 box, using a carbon thrust (with an Austin 1800 throw out pad). The noise was stil there!
I can only conclude that it is the fingers of the diaphram pressure acting like a siren.

Regards, Graham Wallis

Sorry, that should read diaphragm pressure PLATE

Graham

Believe me, the noise is VERY audible, and it always there, clutch in or out, in every gear. It is pretty cool though, cause it really does sound like a WRX engine... :D

So far as i can tell, it is coming from somewhere on the drivers side, near the firewall and under the brake master cylnder. Nick and i dont think it's anything major, but it is very different to most other 2 litre 505's...

Pug505exec:
Believe me, the noise is VERY audible, and it always there, clutch in or out, in every gear. It is pretty cool though, cause it really does sound like a WRX engine.....
I had an exhaust leak once that sounded like a turbo blow off valve. That was way cool!

Dave

Pug505exec:
davemcbean
I had an exhaust leak once that sounded like a turbo blow off valve. That was way cool!

Dave
Probably what it is...[/QB]
..but as with a blow off valve the noise only occured while changing gears, and was most audible when accelerating hard and changing gears.

Dave