tuned and or modified

Steven King

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
likely french, i reckon - just dunno exactly they were ...
support race '69 French GP.jpg

Last edited:
One of the right looks like a Citroen DS Safari

thats the service car with the spare, race engine in the back,Peugeot 404 wagon in the background .I cant see clearly but that looks like a Gordini script in the race car rocker cover ,is that black thing mounted high above the bell housing an oil cooler ,pugs

Always good to have a spare engine in the boot.
I am having a chuckle at the chap sitting in the back of the 404 smoking his pipe. As ya do.

three French brands in one pic

that is nice. I'd tried to see them as '03 motors but kept coming up short ...

likely french, i reckon - just dunno exactly they were ...
Did you notice the photo is labelled "Support race '69 French GP"?
Or did you mean which track, excactly.

I also zoned in on the guy with the pipe, super cool, just hanging with the guys.
Interesting old photo.

Reactions: IWS
Very cool photo. Simpler times we can relate to a lot better than today's.

Alan, I thought so too but can't say why. Would be interesting if you know what g'box is that, because the engine is in front of it.

Some of the Matra Djets (mid engine vehicle) ran R8G engines and used 4 speed Estafette gearboxes, which I guess is a possibility. I can't really see the gearbox for the great big battery. Today a 1.2 Kg Lithium would be in its place, and not likely to be in the back of the car. Formula Fords started their championship in the UK in 1967 and in Australia in 1970, and most back then ran modified VW Beetle gearboxes with the engines mid mounted of course, and no swing axles.

I think I can see a swing axle trunnion in the photo and it looks to be toward the top of the box, possibly indicating a swing axle box turned upside down which was done reasonably regularly in that period as mid-engined gearboxes were a bit thin on the ground.

Some of the Matra Djets (mid engine vehicle) ran R8G engines and used 4 speed Estafette gearboxes, which I guess is a possibility. I can't really see the gearbox for the great big battery. Today a 1.2 Kg Lithium would be in its place, and not likely to be in the back of the car. Formula Fords started their championship in the UK in 1967 and in Australia in 1970, and most back then ran modified VW Beetle gearboxes with the engines mid mounted of course, and no swing axles.

I think I can see a swing axle trunnion in the photo and it looks to be toward the top of the box, possibly indicating a swing axle box turned upside down which was done reasonably regularly in that period as mid-engined gearboxes were a bit thin on the ground.
Wow, that's 15-20 kg of battery right out the back. Funny end on the gearbox (all you can see). I realise I've never seen an Estafette gearbox except in pieces - strange things incidentally with the main input shaft going through the pinion to the opposite end of the gearbox and driving from there.

Looking at the wheel I can see two nuts too close together for a 3 stud hub. More like a five stud spacing so you may be right with the VW 'box. Wonder why they didn't use 352 or similar 'boxes though the R12 only came out in 69.