TRX Wheels

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
All,

I seem to remember reading here about people getting TRX Wheels machined down so they will take 15" tyres....

Any iformation on this topic would be much appriciated question

Cheers

Ben

I am also interested. I have found a Pug wreckers that have HEAPS of TRX wheels from 505 STi's, and they look so good, but those damn tyres :mad:

i am looking for a place to do this
there used to be a bloke in vic somewhere but the name escapes me that used to do them as well
maybe one our friendly vic memebers here might be able to think of who that was or is
if i had access to a lathe with enough centre height with or without a gap i'd be abble to do it but i don't
they aren't hard to do and there isn't much that has to be done to them
i have the same problem on the g/f's 604 with the trx wheels
she loves the wheels but can't justify the expense for tyres when they really aren't that great a tyre anyway
IMHO there are other tyres for less money money than michies that do a better job (sorry michelin fans) BTW i'm not a pirelli fan either

best bet is to get hold of one 15" alloy wheel and do a compare between that and the metric one
from memory there is not a lot between them hence as i said before there is not a lot of machining to be done on the metric wheels to get 15" tyres to fit
you need the saftey lip dia, outer lip/rim dia, and internal wheel dia
if someone on here has both types and can supply these dimensions would even be a good help as well

The difference between 390mm and 15" is 9 mm, which sounds like a fair amount to take off to me, though I guess its 9 divided 2 really - 4.5 mm, as it comes off all round.

Maybe you could reduce this a little further still and still get the tyres on - say a 4mm machining job.

Cheers

Rod

If anyone is happy with used tyres, the TRX tyres and widely availiable from BMW wreckers/Mechs.
I got mine and they still had about 85% tread left and in good nick. They were about $30 each

Some BMW wheels are also 390mm and here in canberra, one of the workshops in Fyshwick has a shipping container full of the used tyres, real cheap! (to the last of my knowledge)

If anyone is interested, let me know and i will try to find the name of tha shop

rod
that's true but from memory the difference between the wheels is closer than that hence the idea that if someone has both types sitting in their shed if they could obtain all the measurements and post them it would be very helpfull in working out exactly how much needs to be removed for the conversion
i do recall that the rim/outer lip needs more machined off than the rest of the wheel
there has to be someone around that has both types of TRX style wheels sitting in their shed without tyres on them
i only have the metric ones and they all have tyres on them so that makes it a little hard to measure :D
82' 505 and Crusin'
can you let me know the name of that shop please
i would be very interested in talking to them about what tyres they have sitting there
thank you