Tramlining my 2008

BarryC

Fellow Frogger
my 2008 (year 2017) seems particularly susceptible to tramlining. I’m in Melbourne, obviously. I have replaced the original Goodyears with a less chunky tread Bridgestone tyre, but was now wondering whether any tread profile or “sport” type construction may be less susceptible to this? In the dry, it’s irritating, but in the wet, it could lead to tears if I was not careful. The traction control has stepped in on a couple of occasions. I do try to straddle the tracks, but clearly that isn’t always possible or advisable in traffic. Any comments out there? I have a dreadful memory of my car‘s behaviour in the previous years with the goodyears, so I can’t even make my own comparison with my original tyres. Any comments welcome.

hi
as i live in Sydney we dont have the same issue with trams ,unless you leave in the east.my 2008 which is 2016 diesel had terrible
m+s goodYear tyres from new, they are suitable for Europe weather. they were noisy, and the front ones got low [around 35k]fairly quickly.
they were 205x50x17.i bought second hand wheels from early 2014model 2008[same wheel] they are 16 inch
instead of 17 they are195 x60x16 and that improved the ride.the cost of these size tyre is almost half of the 17 inch.
i will stick to top range Michelin tyres which are more expensive than most other 16 inch.never bothered even looking at the bridgestones.

If you changed the profile, going to a lower profile tyre, yes you have increased the chance you are going to experience tramlining. The closer to a slick tyre you get (shallower grooves), you also increase tramlining. I would suspect you are guilty of both.

I would also check the suspension/steering for wear.