Trains, planes and automobiles

56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
By golly, Louis sure had a substantial enterprise going on back in the day. Enjoy :approve:

grue_1500kg_chassis_1.jpg
moteur_industriel_20_40cv_4cyl_1.jpg
moto_pompe_10cv_1.jpg
char_type_ft_I.jpg

The RAF had something to say about the tanks. The morning after the Renault plant was bombed. Full of tanks being converted to German armament for use against the Soviet Union. The light Renault tanks were useful to the Germans for the invasion of the Balkans and Greece as our
Renault%20plant%20after%20bomming.JPG
6th Division found. French tanks were quite good and the Germans appreciated the way they were left for them fully armed and fueled, only had to change the markings. There is a picture of Somuas occupying Oslo.
One source says Georges Paulin's network provided the intel for the RAF raid.

Last edited:
It's all in there friend.

View attachment 125481
OK, I'll bite: What are we looking at here? What's with the three banks? The blocks at the front seem to indicate a V12 with, perhaps,a one-intake-per-cylinder setup in the middle. But the assembled versions look like all three equal banks (one in the centre and one each side). I must point out I don't know much about aero engines, but wtf???

P.S. And does anyone know of the almost inevitable post war "put-it-in-a-car-to-go-really-fast-before-dying-in-an-anecdote" Special that someone surely made?

Cheers,
Tony.

They are W18 aero engines from the late twenties or early thirties. A couple of manufacturers produced them. The last time one was produced for automotive use was a design used by Bugatti in the 90s for their concept cars but the Veyron ended up with a W16 engine.

Numerous (many) racing and record attempt cars were fitted with Aero engines from the very early days.

Last edited:
They are W18 aero engines from the late twenties of early thirties. A couple of manufacturers produced them. The last time one was produced for automotive use was a design used by Bugatti in the 90s for their concept cars but the Veyron ended up with a W16 engine.

Numerous (many) racing and record attempt cars were fitted with Aero engines from the very early days.

Thank you Kim. So they really are W18s! I didn't think those centre bores were laterally offset enough to be cylinders. Interesting stuff.

(I still don't allow VW their "W" engines - unlike these aero engines, they're just Vees with alternating slightly offset bores...:geek:)

Cheers,
Tony.

They hit this one with the ugly stick a few times I reckon..

mm-57c9c18.png
Goodness..... The polite adjective is utilitarian. The street sweeper I saw was alligator bonnetted and its Rudge wheels were off in England being refurbished. It looked a bit like that without the tank.

Speaking of industrial engines - the Toro GroundsMaster
It's good that just a few of us have this fascinating information - I heard they used early R4 stuff because they could drive the rotary disc from the crank handle shaft out the end of the gearbox. I've never actually seen one.

I have just learned of the 807 was used by Mercruiser