Trailer plug conundrum.

SonofPugwash

Tadpole
Hi there.

I have recently installed a towbar on my 2007 307 wagon HDI.

I got the whole setup shipped to the gold coast from melbourne for $200. A lucky deal.

I was naive and thought I would just be able to fit a standard 7 pin flat plug to the wires as that's what my trailer has. I was wise enough to leave some tails on the old fitting to make the transfer easier.

I just need a solution, Does anyone know the name of this plug setup??

I could refit the existing plug but it is quite rusty and corroded.
I have have not been able to find a new version of that plug to replace it.
I could put in a 7 pin flat with a switch but I'll need the wiring diagram for the existing plug to make that work.

Can anyone help with the name of the plug or the wiring diagram. That would be grand.

See photos below

Thanks.

BTW
My mechanic has activated the towbar function in the card brain.

IMG-6538.JPG

IMG-6539.jpg

IMG-6540.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like an Australian Standard 7 pin job.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 7pin plug.jpg
    7pin plug.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 519
Thanks Guys,

It certainly looks like it is the 7 pin round.

What is confusing me is the outer metal pins with the red and the white wire.

It would seem that they make contact with the body of the plug. There are some metal plugs and some plastic.

I wonder if these two wires are meant to be joined by the metal plug when it is inserted, but that doesn't make sense when there is plastic plugs out there.

I'll go to repco tomorrow and have a look how they work.

Thanks Guys,

It certainly looks like it is the 7 pin round.

What is confusing me is the outer metal pins with the red and the white wire.

It would seem that they make contact with the body of the plug. There are some metal plugs and some plastic.

I wonder if these two wires are meant to be joined by the metal plug when it is inserted, but that doesn't make sense when there is plastic plugs out there.

I'll go to repco tomorrow and have a look how they work.

After your deliberations you will suddenly begin to understand why trailers have incredibly random light displays.........

G'day,

There are some metal plugs and some plastic.........

seem to recall from olden times that these fellas came in two styles, 5 pin & 7 pin, the 7 pin were for caravans with their extra requirements and the 5 pin suited the old 6x4.

cheers,
Bob

No that plug is a 7/13 plug really common I can try and find the fitting instructions for you one thing do you have power to the module on the big connector this comes from under the dash and is supplied by a maxi fuse if you have power all ok wouldn’t it be easier to just use a test light and find what’s what let me know I may have a new plug sitting around but just get a 7 pin flat with the switch output like a commodore uses you can get them with a tail of wires so they are we’ll sealed

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

the 5 pin standard sholdn't exist (the fact the wiring diagram is different to 7 is ridiculous). These days the 7 pin flat standard is the way to go. What I do with my towcars is fit a 12pin flat and 7 pin round plug. This covers 99% of the possible stuff you will try to tow. The 12 pin flat allows you to connect both 7 and 12 pin plugs (they have the same wiring standard, only the 7pin plugs into half of the socket). 7 pin round for all the old stuff. Anything that doesn't have 7 pin round or flat, I chop the connector off and add a new plug too.

seeya,
Shane L.

the 5 pin standard sholdn't exist (the fact the wiring diagram is different to 7 is ridiculous). These days the 7 pin flat standard is the way to go. What I do with my towcars is fit a 12pin flat and 7 pin round plug. This covers 99% of the possible stuff you will try to tow. The 12 pin flat allows you to connect both 7 and 12 pin plugs (they have the same wiring standard, only the 7pin plugs into half of the socket). 7 pin round for all the old stuff. Anything that doesn't have 7 pin round or flat, I chop the connector off and add a new plug too.

seeya,
Shane L.

You can buy adaptors from the round style to the 7 pin flat style. :2cents:

You can buy adaptors from the round style to the 7 pin flat style. :2cents:

way cheaper and easier to wire a second socket to the car. It avoids everyone pinching "borrowing" your expensive adapter ... or leaving hte thing in the wrong car ... or connected to a trailer/caravan somewhere (bloody D shackles are bad enough ... I must buy 50 of those things a year, and there still isn't one here when I hook my trailer up).

my towcar has a 12 flat, 7 round and anderson plug connector. You generally don't worry about towing anything in a pinch. non-standard couplings will still bite you though (eg: mchitch, treg etc...). I generally keep a spare 7 pin flat or round plug in the boot with my tools. That way if you have to tow something with with a weird connector ( or you drop your trailers drawbar on the damn plug :rolleyes: ... you can fit the spare ).

I had to tow the trailer yesteday .... No damn D shackle to be found .... The towcar is still in a million bits and I still only have the mighty ( mighty god damn leaky ) CX to use. For the first time ever at the sand/soil place I don't watch them load the trailer. I pull out of the place and start accellerating to find one very unhappy CX .......................... leaking and breaking down is one thing .... but the mighty CX is NEVER unstable.

attachment.php

Look how the asshole loaded my trailer. The first and only time I don't watch and check..... If I'd been watching I'd have made him go get a shovel and shovel 1/2meter of wet blue metal dust by hand to the front.

I crawled home through the bush at 20kms/h and had to stand on the drawbar to get the coupling undone .... then leap out of the way quick enough so the drawbar didn't smack me in the teeth as it headed for the sky ........ Seriously what sort of moronic fool loads a trailer like that :eek:

Attachments

• dust.jpg
    dust.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited: