Traffic light speed cameras

dave from bendigo

Fellow Frogger
Which is safer A or B:
A: Running an orange light to avoid being run in the back of or running in the car in front who has slammed on the brakes.
or
B: Slamming the brakes on as the light goes orange to avoid the now $400 fine and 6 demerit points penalty for exceeding the speed limit in order to make it through the amber light and avoid a smash.

You should've put this in General Chit Chat, or is it only Renault drivers that have a problem with running lights :D

Generally speaking, I've always found I can make it through the lights without needing to speed. In addition, you should leave enough space between you and the guy in front if he does stop in an emergency.

Basically the point is to stop people from taking risks darting through traffic lights, and I've seen enough. Red lights have the amber as warning, my only quibble would be a small handful of intersections which are so huge that the time on amber is insufficient to cross the intersection.

Amber actually means stop.. but if you cant, or it isnt safe to do so.. keep going at same speed which is equal too or less than the speed limit.

Usually people think it means accelerate and ignore it :) . Been known to do that sometimes too.. but still.. just more of those Draconians Aussie fines coming to place.

Can someone tell me if the speed camera portion will take your photo if you are speeding through on a green light? Is it a permanent speed camera or only operational on amber/red lights??

From what I can gather, these function as speed cameras too.

You can be booked for speeding even if it's green, that's the impression I got anyway.

The traffic lights in Bendigo must give far less time than those in melbourne, it goes orange as you enter the intersection and is red by the time you reach the other side so it's hard not to be caught out, also does the camera take your picture if you are stuck in the intersection in a traffic jam and the n continue through on red.

Great. I'll keep an eye out for these cameras. Along with the roadside speed cameras, fixed speed cameras, aerial speed detection and cop cars. Geez who knows I might even get time to look at the bitumen occasionaly!! I know, I could slow down :rolleyes:

For all those who seem to be losing sleep over this red light issue. The camera will only take your photo if you ENTER the intersection (ie cross the line) after the light has turned red...... mallet not if it turns red while you are in the intersection....

I recently had an incident in the company car (Toyota Echo) where I had plenty of time to stop at an orange light. Just as I was stopping, I glanced up at the rear vision mirror and saw a 4x4 behind me which was intent on going through the intersection. On seeing this I drove a few feet further forward and pulled as close to the gutter as possible. The 4x4 sailed just past my rear right corner at full speed and ran the red light (pity it wasn't a red light camera intersection).

Often the only thing which stops me from stopping at an amber light is fear of idiots crashing into the back of me. I often make my judgement based on what is in the rear vision mirror, but it really peeves me when there is ample time to stop yet the person behind somehow can't understand this. The fact that many cars in Sydney sit about 5 metres or less from you're rear bumper doesn't help things.

Dave