Trade in Value of 2008 Peugeot?

bil

Tadpole
Hi. I'm looking to trading in our 308 Peugeot 1.6 xs hdi (2008) for Rav4. The Peugeot has been absolutely fantastic and we have done 220000Km in the past 12 years. We have been offered $1500 as trade in but thought it would be worth more. Does anyone have any idea of the value of this car (has leather upholstery and never missed Peugeot service)?

Thanks Bil:)

Hi. I'm looking to trading in our 308 Peugeot 1.6 xs hdi (2008) for Rav4. The Peugeot has been absolutely fantastic and we have done 220000Km in the past 12 years. We have been offered $1500 as trade in but thought it would be worth more. Does anyone have any idea of the value of this car (has leather upholstery and never missed Peugeot service)?

Thanks Bil:)

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about a Peugeot 2008.

Honestly, that's about right for a trade in price, unfortunately. Even though it's been a fantastic car for you and your family for the past 12 years and it has a complete Peugeot service history, Peugeot's (most French cars in general) have horrible resale values and when it come to trading them in, you get nothing for them. It's a 12 year old Peugeot with 220,000km, this alone doesn't help your situation.

If you're wanting more money, maybe try to sell the car privately, though that has it's negatives too ...

Over 200 k most 12 year old cars are pretty worthless unless Roadworthy these days I have found. $1500 sounds fair. Prvately ,if you could roadworthy, you might get $3000 after a lengthy wait.

Twelve years is a good run with a car, let it go to the trade and most likely a small second hand car yard. Peugeots always had weak resale value which killed the commercial user market. A comparable Toyota traded at that age would be worth more but not that much. You have to figure the depreciation in as a running cost. There's worse depreciation around than that.

Many thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I appreciate them very much Bil

For starters: redbook.com.au will give you a valuation on your car. Assuming it is a manual hatch, the value they give (private sale) is $1700-3900 with and expected use of 180,000-300,000. I usually take that to mean that a $1700 car probably has done 300,000 and look like it. Sight unseen, I'm estimating the private sale value of your car at about $3000.

Is this $1500 they're offering as a trade in part of a deal that already involves a discount on the retail price?

In my experience you only trade in a car if you have lots more money than time and can afford to waste some (generally a lot). The car salesman will be paid a commission based on the total profit of the deal so is trying to get as much out of you as he possibly can. If no discount has been offered, I'd try to renegotiate the deal without the trade at $1500 off retail. Then sell the car for $3000 privately.

Don't fall victim to the pantomime that they put on - the valuer they called in to value your trade in was just another car salesman. If you went in next week the roles might be reversed. Never assume anything they tell you is true unless you have solid independent evidence. They lie for a living.

There's lots of dealers out there and at the moment the car industry is suffering a massive decline due to Covid-19. They really don't want to lose your sale.

Just my opinions.

Kim

Interestingly, I went down the same path about 5 years ago.
I had a 2008 308 2lt diesel which had 170 odd klms and I think I got around 3 or 3.5K as a sale.
I bought (actually leased, then bought out) a diesel RAV4 which has now done 128Ks with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Decca

For starters: redbook.com.au will give you a valuation on your car. Assuming it is a manual hatch, the value they give (private sale) is $1700-3900 with and expected use of 180,000-300,000. I usually take that to mean that a $1700 car probably has done 300,000 and look like it. Sight unseen, I'm estimating the private sale value of your car at about $3000.

Is this $1500 they're offering as a trade in part of a deal that already involves a discount on the retail price?

In my experience you only trade in a car if you have lots more money than time and can afford to waste some (generally a lot). The car salesman will be paid a commission based on the total profit of the deal so is trying to get as much out of you as he possibly can. If no discount has been offered, I'd try to renegotiate the deal without the trade at $1500 off retail. Then sell the car for $3000 privately.

Don't fall victim to the pantomime that they put on - the valuer they called in to value your trade in was just another car salesman. If you went in next week the roles might be reversed. Never assume anything they tell you is true unless you have solid independent evidence. They lie for a living.

There's lots of dealers out there and at the moment the car industry is suffering a massive decline due to Covid-19. They really don't want to lose your sale.

Just my opinions.

Kim
Kim, contrary to what most people think, the new car dealer would rather not have your car , or any car as a trade in unless he can wholesale out of it at a profit. If he can't do that , it makes no sense for him to offer more for the car . The smartest approach to take if you wish to trade the vehicle is to get a quote for the all-in price which then enables you to compare the deal being offered against any other dealer's offer. Or , if you can be bothered , sell your vehicle firstly, and then proceed to negotiate.

If you look at the cars on a Toyota dealer's lot, they will be mostly Toyotas with a sprinkle of others, all newish The Peugeot dealer has a similar approach. They simply don't want most of the trade-ins they are offered - they are either too old or the wrong make, or too many kms.

Your car will have to be sold on through the trade, and the intermediary wants his profit when he resells, on top of the dealer's..

I was looking at car sales $3000-5000 hatchs and any car with over 150,000km is cheap whether it is Toyota or any brand! There are even cars under 100,000km in this group up to 2015. I guess they were offered trade-in of between $500 (scrape value) or $1500 rock bottom trade-in and decided private sale was a slightly better option.

I've been looking at the guaranteed buy back prices for Mazda and Toyota. Substantial falls, from 38k down to 22k for a BT50 after 4 years and then it goes over the cliff. The online valuation for a 2019 Peugeot 508 shows enormous depreciation and may not be accurate.

A few years back, a certain Peugeot dealer in Brisbane offered us $1200 for our 5 year old/75k km top-spec 3008 2L HDi, as a trade-in for an ex-demo DS5. They clearly didn't want it.

We still have the 3008. Bought our RCZ instead of the DS5.