Traction Rust

bobjames

Tadpole
Tadpole
I have a Traction with some rust in the footwell. Is there anyone in Brisbane who is interested in looking at the job and advising me?

Rust in the footwell is usually a result of leaks through the firewall. Have you removed the battery and battery tray to have a look behind? Here is what I found on my relatively rust-free Arizona 1954 11BL

200111 Rusty Firewall.jpg

Rust in the footwell , common problem . I think mine exacerbated by sun roof drainage points getting blocked. You could get some one to fold up a nice flooring section and just weld in . under the carpet and trims its not got be clinical IMO.

Rust in the footwell is usually a result of leaks through the firewall. Have you removed the battery and battery tray to have a look behind? Here is what I found on my relatively rust-free Arizona 1954 11BL

View attachment 121390
The first and most common place of moisture entry is a leaking scuttle ventilator door. Water does not usually find its way into the battery area unless forced. That corrosion is most likely caused by leaking battery acid.

The first and most common place of moisture entry is a leaking scuttle ventilator door. Water does not usually find its way into the battery area unless forced. That corrosion is most likely caused by leaking battery acid.

True, however, once the area behind the battery tray is compromised, water will find its way onto the tray below the instruments and then onto the floor. FWIW here is what the firewall of my 11BL looks like today.
200601 Firewall Repair Complete.jpg

Very Nice! Here is mine. It just drove out of the garage last week for the fist time since buying it as a wreck in 1973. Literally everything that has been done to it was done by me in the garage pictured behind. It has practically all brand new working parts collected over many years. Also it has been kept absolutely original with no alterations or modifications (such as Rzeppa joints, alternator etc.) The only concession to modernity is the addition of indicator lights that operate through an early D mechanical timer switch on the dash. The indicator circuits are wrapped in with the hand made wiring loom and link onto original Citroen junction blocks. Perhaps I might start a thread on the restoration process if people want this, but I feel a lot has already been said about TA restoration in other threads.
Cheers Gerry
DSC_10031.jpg

Last edited:
Very Nice! Here is mine. It just drove out of the garage last week for the fist time since buying it as a wreck in 1973. Literally everything that has been done to it was done by me in the garage pictured behind. It has practically all brand new working parts collected over many years. Also it has been kept absolutely original with no alterations or modifications (such as Rzeppa joints, alternator etc.) The only concession to modernity is the addition of indicator lights that operate through an early D mechanical timer switch on the dash. The indicator circuits are wrapped in with the hand made wiring loom and link onto original Citroen junction blocks. Perhaps I might start a thread on the restoration process if people want this, but I feel a lot has already been said about TA restoration in other threads.
Cheers Gerry
View attachment 121413
Of course we want to see a traction thread. :dance: :dance: :dance: I can't think of a single traction thread here ... that is even remotely close to finished!

Looking great Gerry. More pictures please. Were the black guards etc an original option?

Black Guards for early 11A and 11AL were original. This one is poetic licence. Not normal on an 11B or BL. However as cars were sometimes shipped to Australia in primer and then painted to the taste of the dealers such a combination is not inconceivable. Both are Citroen colours AC 108 Gris Paladium and AC 200 Noir.

I’d be happy for any info on Traction restoration as I’m in the process of doing one now.

Attachments

• 01048A73-4754-454E-A432-7ED4AC7EBFD2.jpeg
    01048A73-4754-454E-A432-7ED4AC7EBFD2.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 159
I would suggest that you outline any areas you need clarified and start a thread so that you may receive assistance for your needs. Lovely 6cyl BTW. Year?

I looked at a chart which had pretty much all later cars as Black, black or black? Guy I know has a French 11BL and he painted it white much to my muttered disapproval. So what colours were they in the late forties, fifties?

Paris built cars were Black with ivory wheels post war until the change in boot lids in 1952. Some Australian cars were delivered in primer as previously stated. Some were painted black, some mist green, and some gris irise ( iridescent grey). From 1952 on from Paris there are some other colours in addition, Blue RAF. Gris Perle, Bleu Nuit. No post 1952 cars with the large boot were officially imported from Paris.

Last edited:
I recall that as Gerry says , the dealers did trick up the 'standard' versions postwar (11Bl's) sometimes adding Light 15 , Slough accoutrements ie chrome grilles etc

I recall that as Gerry says , the dealers did trick up the 'standard' versions postwar (11Bl's) sometimes adding Light 15 , Slough accoutrements ie chrome grilles etc
So did a number of owners as the years went by. We probably appreciate originality more today trying to recapture a past era.

I would suggest that you outline any areas you need clarified and start a thread so that you may receive assistance for your needs. Lovely 6cyl BTW. Year?
it’s a 6 1951 engine is out as it needs a full rebuild, stuck valves, bent push rods and the rings rusted to the liners.