toyota superchargers

davemcbean

Guru
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know where in Sydney are the best places to buy those superchargers from the 1GGZE or 4AGZE toyota engines?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave McBean

David,

Just a couple of places that frequent the mags.
SSS AUTOMOTIVE(02)9896 6111

JUST JAP AUTO (02)9545 0532 justjap@attglobal.net

ICHIBAN performance engines
www.ichiban.com.au
All worth a call ichiban should have what you are looking for have called just jap before but they mainly deal in imports and half cuts.

Murat

David,

Just a couple of places that frequent the mags.
SSS AUTOMOTIVE(02)9896 6111

JUST JAP AUTO (02)9545 0532 justjap@attglobal.net

ICHIBAN performance engines
www.ichiban.com.au
All worth a call ichiban should have what you are looking for have called just jap before but they mainly deal in imports and half cuts.

Murat

Murat,

Thanks. I've heard they usually sell for around $400. I wonder if that includes the bypass valve, so the engine can breath when the blower is switched off.

Dave

Dave,

I am not sure if they include the bypass
valve but i know for a fact that they don't
mind you taken small items for free with your purchase it is no suprise as there is so much stuff going to waste.The price sounds about right for the supercharger,I have no experience putting one on a car but
it would be much easier than a turbocharger setup.

Murat

Hi everyone,

I went to Ichiban performance, in Moorebank, today. The guys there are really helpful and they took me into the warehouse to show me a 4AGZE supercharger. They didn't have any 1GGZE superchargers in stock.

The superchargers sell for $395, but they told me they should really be used with an intercooler, as the air can get very hot without one. The 4AGZE intercooler sells for about $495. They don't stock the bypass valves very often and they are not really large enough for the engine to operate normally over the entire rev range, when the supercharger is turned off. The outlet of the bypass valve is apparently only an inch or so in diameter and the valve is built into the 4AGZE pipework, so it is hard to adapt it to other vehicles. They said that alot of guys run the supercharger all the time and so don't need the bypass valve.

They also sell turbochargers for around $400.

All in all it looks as though adapting one of these superchargers to run reliably on an everyday road car is a $1000+ job, probably more. Ad that to the fact that the supercharger is not small and thus hard to disguise and it means you really have to get an engineers certificate which would blow yet more hundreds of dollars. In my case it's not worth it. If my car was alot nicer and I had alot more money I might consider it, but as it stands I think an engineer would want me to change alot of things on my car (like the bodyshell!!!) before he'd pass such a modification. Anyway it's a modification worth keeping in mind for the future.

Dave

does anyone know how wild cams can be with a supercharger before the charger is useless, i'm not sure of the technics of it but the overlap of the cams means the forced induction does not make any gains, i'm getting lost here but anyway if you know what i mean give me an answer
smile.gif

Andreas,

Generally camshafts designed for supercharged applications have less overlap than other performance cams. Most standard camshafts work OK with superchargers, but I'd say a stock R17 Gordini cam or Alfetta 1.8 cam would definitely have too much overlap. Since the advent of antipollution laws about the most overlap you will get on an engine is 50 degrees and even that is unusually high these days. Most manufacturers tend to rely on large valve area (i.e. 16 valves) for breathing ability rather than high overlap, now that exhaust emissions are a big consideration. I think superchargers were used successfully on 2 litre Cortinas using the standard cam (50 degrees overlap). The power went up from about 93 to about 140hp, which is about a 50% power increase.
Wade camshafts in Melbourne have special turbo and supercharger camshaft grinds (low overlap, high lift). Their phone number is 9328 4001, ring them for advice.

Dave

I forgot to mention that that power figure for a supercharged 2 litre cortina was developed using about 6-7psi maximum boost, sucking through a 32/36 DGAV Weber and with about 8.2:1 compression. The power figure was actually about 145hp (SAE rating) which is about 140hp, or a bit more, using the DIN rating system.

Dave

Hi Dave
Wade Cams did a grind for my Blown 16TS engine
The specs are
Grind No 154B Angle 114.5 deg
Lift at lobe .264"
Running clearance ex .016" in .016"
ex opens 71 deg closes 24 deg
in opens 22 deg closes 73 deg
Lift at TDC No 1 inletfollower .040"

Running 10 lb boost & at this boost around 11.5 : 1 CR

It has been pointed out to me that the Toyota Superchargers are not suitable for Suck through installations unless grease nipples are fitted to the bearing casing on the end of the units. As the petrol washes the grease out of the bearings, giving a life expectancy of around 20,000 km of every day use before destroying themselves. The bearings are a non replaceable item as they are epoxy glued into the housing.
Damien

[This message has been edited by Damien Gardner (edited 08 July 2001).]

Damien,

Thanks for those specs and the bearing info.

Did you get all those water injection article pages that I emailed you?

Regards,
Dave

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Damien Gardner:
It has been pointed out to me that the Toyota Superchargers are not suitable for Suck through installations unless grease nipples are fitted to the bearing casing on the end of the units. As the petrol washes the grease out of the bearings, giving a life expectancy of around 20,000 km of every day use before destroying themselves.

This being the case, the fitting of a bypass should be simple. It's the ideal way to supercharge, in my opinion.

Why, by the way, would you need an engineer's certificate?

In NSW, engine modifications (except for exhaust) to a post mid 70s car, are illegal without an engineers certificate.

Many modifications aren't obvious to a non-Peugeot person, so on 504s you can do many things without an engineers certificate (even though technically you should). I think however, that superchargers and turbochargers are generally a pretty obvious modification.

I thought I might be able to "disguise" a small supercharger on the underside of my 1978 504 engine, as some kind of other accessory, but after looking at the Toyota superchargers, they are not quite small enough.

No one is likely to be looking in my engine bay, but if I have an accident, an insurance inspector will, and I will be liable to all costs.

Dave