Towing with 2019 Koleos

boleropilot

Fellow Frogger
G'day youse lot - we bought a Koleos in 2019 because (a) I'm a nut for Renaults, and (b) it has one of the best towing specifications for an SUV. Apparently, the 2,000 kg maximum towing weight is only half the story. Recently we bought a boat, fibreglass half cabin, 18 foot, 140 hp outboard. The total weight of that unit (not weighed yet) should be under 1,500 kg, so I thought all was good - not, actually...

One of the major specifications for towing is the manufacturers stated maximum towball weight - this is basically what the weight of the trailer will push down onto the towball. The standard number is around 10 percent of the total weight of the load - so if your loaded trailer weighs 1,500 kg, the maximum towball weight "could" be 150 kg, but ONLY if the vehicle manufacturers towball specification will allow this.

Our lovely Koleos has a "legal" listed maximum towball limit of 75 kg. What that means is that we are not permitted to tow any trailer/caravan if the towball weight exceeds 75 kg. According to every trailer and towing expert I have spoken to, that is a ridiculously low towball weight limit. That 75 kg limit means that at the general average of towball weight being approximately 10 percent, using that equation the amount to be towed would be about 750 kg - that is a LONG way away from the stated maximum tow capacity of 2,000 kg. The 10 percent is an arbitrary figure and could be anywhere from 5% to 15%, but with the Koleos the figure is not even 4%.

Having stated all that, the towball weight can be adjusted by either (a) moving the load (boat, in this case) further back on the trailer, (b) modifying the trailers axle position, or (b) adding weight to the rear of the boat. None of these options fill me with any joy. And if all that is not enough, some of the 'experts' I have been talking to are of the opinion that a 75 kg towball weight on a load weighing 1,500 kg is way too low.

So, here I am, looking for advice from the froggy sages, who I am sure will have a lot to say about the above. Naturally the situation I find myself in will be open to more conjecture once the boat/trailer has been over the weighbridge, set to happen on 27/10/21.

Cheers,

BP

I've just realised we won't be able to use the foot operated tailgate release but that really doesn't matter because the damn thing only works when it feels like it anyway - which is "not often"...

Trailers with boats normally have a lower ball weight than an equivalent trailer/caravan because of the heavy outboard motor right at the rear. You might find that the ball weight is ok. Stability won't be ideal but should be ok for a trip to the boat ramp.

I’ve got 2015 model and the Hayman Reece bar for it is 2000kg and 200kg TBW.

What do you tow and what is the ball weight? I'd suggest 200kg hanging well over a metre back from the centre of the rear axle might be a bit of stretch even for a mighty Koleos? Maybe not?

Last edited:
Trailers with boats normally have a lower ball weight than an equivalent trailer/caravan because of the heavy outboard motor right at the rear. You might find that the ball weight is ok. Stability won't be ideal but should be ok for a trip to the boat ramp.

No they shouldn't ... not ever. You need to move the axle back if you don't have enough nose weight (boat trailers are designed in a way that allows you to move the axle!).

This is why almost no-one tows with a european car. They only have 75kg on the tongue. Really though, I woudl have thought being an Xtrail this would be better. Its not easy to find with google the tongue downweight capacity of an xtrail, one site hints at 100kg.

Most European caravans are designed to be towed with less than 75kgs on the towbar.

If you think this is fun, start looking at the twin cab utes everyone uses these days. They might say "tows 3500kgs" .... but that is only if there is nothing in the car .... if you load the car and use the utes tub, you must reduce the tow and tongue capacity to match otherwise you'll be over the cars GVM.

Myself, I'd just ignore all the specs and load the thing so it tows safely :)

I am getting a heavy duty towbar fitted in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

https://parksidetowbars.com.au/TOWB...ON/8510-5ee163f4-31e3-4fdb-98fd-f0462bd17484/

Parkside Towbars have been around in WA for over 50 years, the towbars are made in Victoria now I think, may even be Hayman Reese.
They are very regulated now, and I understand it is the towbar manufacturer's responsibility to co-ordinate with the vehicle manufacturer to ascertain the weights they can put on the towbar certification plate. In this case it is also 2000kg towing, and 200kg ball weight.

I just checked in my 2019 owners manual and confirm that it does list standard towing capacity of 750kg (unbraked) and 70-80 kg ball weight. However, for an unbraked trailer they only list a calculation formula, and to refer to your dealer for further information. The manual also gives an example of the vehicle ID plate which gives the max permissible weights. Guess what, my ID plate lists 0000kg for Gross mass, 0000kg for GVM, 0000kg for front and rear axle loads, so work that one out yourselves, customers, because we aren't going to put our necks on the line for you to pursue litigation after your accident.

Personally, because the similar powered Nissan with the same engine/driveline is rated at 1500 or 1800kg, I don't think the Koleos would be all that flash towing 2000kg. But if the plate says it can, then legally you can use it, which might be handy occasionally, remembering that anything over 750 kg will need a trailer braking system.

I think Renault have been happy to openly endorse the 750/75kg limits for unbraked trailers, and leave it to the towbar people to get engineering approval for the higher weights. The main thing is to get a towbar with that plate attached, or it will be an illegal tow.

What do you tow and what is the ball weight? I'd suggest 200kg hanging well over a metre back from the centre of the rear axle might be a bit of stretch even for a might Koleos? Maybe not?
I don’t tow with it Kim, I just checked with H/Reece website. I suspect the 200kg is their rating as I just found on Renault Au website a specifications page for current model allowing for 0-150kg.

I am getting a heavy duty towbar fitted in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

https://parksidetowbars.com.au/TOWB...ON/8510-5ee163f4-31e3-4fdb-98fd-f0462bd17484/

Parkside Towbars have been around in WA for over 50 years, the towbars are made in Victoria now I think, may even be Hayman Reese.
They are very regulated now, and I understand it is the towbar manufacturer's responsibility to co-ordinate with the vehicle manufacturer to ascertain the weights they can put on the towbar certification plate. In this case it is also 2000kg towing, and 200kg ball weight.

I just checked in my 2019 owners manual and confirm that it does list standard towing capacity of 750kg (unbraked) and 70-80 kg ball weight. However, for an unbraked trailer they only list a calculation formula, and to refer to your dealer for further information. The manual also gives an example of the vehicle ID plate which gives the max permissible weights. Guess what, my ID plate lists 0000kg for Gross mass, 0000kg for GVM, 0000kg for front and rear axle loads, so work that one out yourselves, customers, because we aren't going to put our necks on the line for you to pursue litigation after your accident.

Personally, because the similar powered Nissan with the same engine/driveline is rated at 1500 or 1800kg, I don't think the Koleos would be all that flash towing 2000kg. But if the plate says it can, then legally you can use it, which might be handy occasionally, remembering that anything over 750 kg will need a trailer braking system.

I think Renault have been happy to openly endorse the 750/75kg limits for unbraked trailers, and leave it to the towbar people to get engineering approval for the higher weights. The main thing is to get a towbar with that plate attached, or it will be an illegal tow.

The towbar people can only rate a towbar at the cars towing capacity. If it can tow 1000kg and have 50kg on the tongue by manufacturers specs.... if you have the biggest heaviest duty 4ton ...400kg tongue weight towbar built and fitted to the car. It wil have the capacity of 1000kg and 50kg on it.

Why did you think I ended up with a shitbox range rover here :) ... because it'll legally tow most things I'd want to drag down the roads!

Our Scenic's handbook rates the car at 1400 kg towing weight and yes, if I recall about 75 kg towball weight. HOWEVER, Renault supplied towbars rated at 1000 kg in Australia....... I'd endorse whatever Parkside towbars say Mr Fordman - good people IMHO.

It's quite a tin of worms, likely only a problem if you have your accident of course. But then you'd better be compliant.....

I've towed a 16' van around Gippsland behind my 1974 Renault 12 1255cc wagon with it's bum nearly touching the ground. Flat out at 105km/h on the flat but totally stable.

You folk who think Koleos towing ratings are nuts, try this. I have been looking at a DS23 Safari brochure. Rated towing capacities: braked 3698 lb (1680 kg), unbraked 1100 lb (500 kg), nose weight 66lb (30kg)!

30 kg, that's pathetic! And this on a car that will self-level with half a ton of bricks in the back. I think I recall someone doing a calculation that showed the rear of a DS sedan could self-level with a load of 750 kg (including the weight of the back of the car). A Safari has larger rear suspension cylinders so would be able to lift even more.

Roger

Its a European thing ... The range rover classic can tow 4000kgs .......... They doubled the "standard" european tongue download weight..... it has a staggering 150kg allowed!

It's not all European cars. An XM has 110 kg maximum tongue weight. That's with 1800 kg maximum braked trailer weight, from memory. But it is one of the better ones.

Roger

he he silly things we have done, Renault 1.4wagon towing tandem trailer with rolling 504shell on it. big negative had to stop Mont Albert rd Balwyn rd intersection for right turn up hill taking off on and of throttle for traction while wiggling steering slightly, plenty of tyre smoke, got around park said 504behind our milk bar in Balwyn.next day mechanic from servo over road comes in says he saw some idiot in Renault wagon towing tandem with smoke coming from front tyres. he knew it was me bit of a dig and a laugh, otherwise car towed trailer fine...... jim

It's not just we drivers sometimes doing questionable towing feats. The manufacturers actually encourage us! That same DS Safari brochure suggests it would be good for towing a horse float. Those things have massive nose weight! Look how far back their axles always are. This is because if a horses moves you don't want to lose nose weight suddenly!

Roger

Hmmm, reading all this i think i might have done the wrong (by law) towing a horse float with two medium sized horses with a V8 Statesman from Melbourne to Myrtleford. Did it easily without drama or unsafe feeling, used 21l/100km.

A former member of RCCD was renowned for using his 351 Falcon GS to tow a 16' van up and back to Moulamein sitting on 90 mph, slowing down only for hump-backed bridges and towns. A fast trip was a good trip, according to Ron!