Towing a light 15

Ron from sa

Fellow Frogger
I may need to tow a Light 15 in the days ahead and was wondering what is the best place to attach a tow chain to the front of the vehicle? I have owned one of these in the past but towing never arose. I don't want to damage the drive shafts or any suspension parts. Any ideas welcome.

Assume you have adequate brakes on the 15
I reckon any chassis point would be fine.
I towed a VW with my Falcon GT years ago.
The VW owner said he had never experienced such acceleration ever before. :headbanger"

I just loaded / unloaded my 'Onze Normale' to a trailer by wrapping the winch cable around the main crossmember /gearbox support which is easily strong enough. Having said that it was particularly easy in my case as there's no engine in it or any front bodywork panels. Definitely don't rely on the bumper-mounting projections and don't allow any pressure from towing loads to fall upon the steering rack immediately behind the main crossmember.
IMG_1742s.jpg

I just loaded / unloaded my 'Onze Normale' to a trailer by wrapping the winch cable around the main crossmember /gearbox support which is easily strong enough. Having said that it was particularly easy in my case as there's no engine in it or any front bodywork panels. Definitely don't rely on the bumper-mounting projections and don't allow any pressure from towing loads to fall upon the steering rack immediately behind the main crossmember.
View attachment 139862
Thanks Baldrick, I had been thinking along the same lines , my main concern being any pressure on the gear box mount, and also lining up the towing vehicle correctly as the chain might lift up and try to wrench of the bumper bar from underneath.
Just to clarify - the distance for the tow is less than 1 km, but its up a steepish uphill gravel road. I also don't have a a towbar on my other car, I would be using the rope loops under the rear bumper bar, nor do I have access to a car trailer.

Thanks Baldrick, I had been thinking along the same lines , my main concern being any pressure on the gear box mount, and also lining up the towing vehicle correctly as the chain might lift up and try to wrench of the bumper bar from underneath.
Just to clarify - the distance for the tow is less than 1 km, but its up a steepish uphill gravel road. I also don't have a a towbar on my other car, I would be using the rope loops under the rear bumper bar, nor do I have access to a car trailer.
Hi :)
I would (probably have) used the bottom front suspension arms. They are substantial and normally take the drive and braking loads and feed them into the front cradle. Possible tie to each side and cross over the tow ropes to the opposite side of the tow car suspension points or whatever you think are strong points. Hmm chains ?? use strong rope it is more forgiving.
Jaahn

towing ... not on a trailer? My grandfather used to have a solid bar that was used between the two cars. I'm not sure what happened to it. I think one end went to the towbar of the towcar, and the other end straps to the towed cars bumper.

Yea well I have a towing bar. It is a 4M length of 2.5" square tube with a coupling on one end to fit a towbar ball and a large shackle welded to the other. I have another shackle to attach it to the standard tow point on most newish cars. I have used it quite a bit over the years. Towed a dead van for 60-70 Ks one time. The advantage of a bar VS a rope/chain is, it stops the rear vehicle running up the back of the tow car if the second driver is not quick on the brake.
Jaahn

Reactions: COL