Torque converter failure types

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Who's got experience with torque converters? I've got one with an odd failure...

Just fitted up the reno DPO I overhauled, and the trans itself seems all good. But the recent reconditioned converter that ran well when i came out of the Xsara it was in is now now happy...

Nasty rattle at idle that goes away at higher revs, and the engine stalls (or could be made for a while to go into drive, but the engine labour and chugged under the load...).

Lockup clutch jammed on? Is that even a thing? Computer tells me the lockup solenoid is inactive.

Either way, the box is coming out again. Sigh...

Sorry to hear.. I've sold my recond AL4 torque convertor and never got to try it out.
Never mind. I put the new one in because it’s good practice. But the failure of the old trans was a burnt out clutch pack and there wasn’t anything much in the way of debris in it when I stripped it and the fluid was still even decent. The clutch pack let go quite suddenly apparently and it wasn’t driven around on a slipping trans.

Anyway, what I mean to say is I think the original converter is ok to reinstall…

It’s still not a fault I’ve ever heard of before. I’ll call Manuel Automatics and see what they say.

Update - converter was fine, it was a control problem. Replaced the solenoid and all was well.

So it does turn out that a healthy converter will rattle at idle if its being locked.