Tool Talk

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys.
I think I need a new screwdriver.

Anyone ever heard of Sunflag branded tools????

Jo

I'm holding one in my hand. A fine tool it is too. Lovely narrow blade. I have just been using it to screw the door back on the computer cupboard. Number 888, 5.5 x 75 mm, if you must know exactly which one.

Roger

Hi Guys.
I think I need a new screwdriver.

Anyone ever heard of Sunflag branded tools????

Jo

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'll have to post some piccies of my new toy .......................... I've managed to find all the manuals for it ............... The only problem is I haven't paid for it yet :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wonder if the owner can find where I live now :evil: :tongue::tongue:
seeya,
Shane L.

Well here's the new toy here ..... I can give you a good reason why I'm itching to tinker with it but can't for a bit..... the reason is kinda obvious ...

attachment.php

Yep, you can't see the reason why I can't tinker yet right :rolleyes: That's the new toy in there .....

attachment.php

Maybe this'll help some more ??

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've managed to find all the manuals, including the gearing combinations for metric thread cutting .... but gee's, reading the manuals (from 1937) makes my head spin ........ So much to learn :cool:

attachment.php

I was wondering what to do about breaking my neck trying to get into the shed of a night...... I figured it out.... the two fluro's at the front of the shed.... Well I chopped the lamps off the shiity old sensor light, and wired them to the fluoro lights up in the roof. Now when I lift the roller doors after dark the two of the lights turn on .... I'll just wire in the other lights and were set :)

Ever so slowly getting there .... Not forgetting I still need to empty the last trailer load from my fathers shed ....

attachment.php

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1030933.jpg
    P1030933.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 4,633
  • P1030934.jpg
    P1030934.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,610
  • P1030937.JPG
    P1030937.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 4,594
  • P1030936.jpg
    P1030936.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 4,642
  • P1030938.JPG
    P1030938.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 4,528
  • P1030939.jpg
    P1030939.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 4,420
Nice pick up Shane! That and the old scalper drill press and before you know it you'll start rebuilding RWD Citroens, pre war of course!
The Sunflag screwdrivers maybe helpful, I'm not as Jo has reopened "Blokesworld" and let the banter begin.:roflmao:
p.s. SWMBO really hates this thread as I seem to find new toys to buy/lust after all the time!:cheers:

The person that sold me the lathe .... You all know him, he has a shed full of weird and wonderful stuff... You need to see the old tractor in his shed for example.

seeya,
Shane L.

You think that stuff is weird and wonderful, wait until you visit the farm. There's weird and wonderful stuff my grandfather and great uncle owned.

Roger

Jammy bugger. I inherited a six inch steel rule, a No.4 hand plane and a couple of blunt chisels. Not having any "hands on" family in striking distance always seemed a rough deal.

Jammy bugger. I inherited a six inch steel rule, a No.4 hand plane and a couple of blunt chisels. Not having any "hands on" family in striking distance always seemed a rough deal.

It would be pretty rare these days to inherit a shed full of old tools unless your parents own a farm .............. My grandfather was a mechanic his whole life, there isn't many tools left at all. You see they get lent out over the years .... but rarely returned.... to the point where most "disappear" to various friends and relatives.

If that old stationary engine is anything to go by, I believe you could spend a week at Rogers farm exploring :)

seeya,
Shane L

I haven't inherited any of it yet. The old man is 87 and showing no signs of checking out.

There is quite a lot of hand tool overlap between his collection and mine. When I moved to New Zealand in 1994 I had few tools and I missed the ready access to his tools. So I started accumulating my own. But it recent years I have tried to buy only tools that neither of us possesses, in the knowledge that eventually the two collections will be merged.

Interestingly, of all the people who have looked around the yard and in the sheds over the years, I reckon only two have really appreciated all the stuff. You would need an abiding interest in old farm machinery to get really excited about it. It looks like a museum, but everything has been bought to use, not as something to add to a collection.

Roger

PS addo, come down and help us fix up the house and you can have a guided tour of the stuff.

You blokes bring to mind that old saying to which I wholeheartedly subscribe “ He who dies with the most toys wins.”:cheers:

Joggler

Before the Great Calamity of 2010 there was some talk on AF about Jogglers / flanging tools.

I finally bought one taking advantage of the strong A$. It was cheaper to get it from the US than any Australian retailer, even given the postage costs. It is air operated and combines a punch and a flanging tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f0436e05f

It cost me US $38.95 plus US $31.40 = US $ 70.35

It is seemingly well made and a delight to use.

Attachments

• joggler.jpg
    joggler.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 707
Shane, I should have offered to swap the lathe for your mighty half ton grinder.

Roger

PS those Sunflag screwdrivers are fantastic. I just used the #2 "Phillips" (i.e., JIS) and it gripped the screws tenaciously.

Shane, I should have offered to swap the lathe for your mighty half ton grinder.

Roger

PS those Sunflag screwdrivers are fantastic. I just used the #2 "Phillips" (i.e., JIS) and it gripped the screws tenaciously.

Hi Roger,

the lathe is worth far, far more than the big old grinder .... We'll talk about it later :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I haven't inherited any of it yet. The old man is 87 and showing no signs of checking out.

There is quite a lot of hand tool overlap between his collection and mine. When I moved to New Zealand in 1994 I had few tools and I missed the ready access to his tools. So I started accumulating my own. But it recent years I have tried to buy only tools that neither of us possesses, in the knowledge that eventually the two collections will be merged.

Interestingly, of all the people who have looked around the yard and in the sheds over the years, I reckon only two have really appreciated all the stuff. You would need an abiding interest in old farm machinery to get really excited about it. It looks like a museum, but everything has been bought to use, not as something to add to a collection.

Roger

PS addo, come down and help us fix up the house and you can have a guided tour of the stuff.

Sounds like my kind of place - Incidentely Roger, do you have a spare shed that could be used to store the weird stuff that needs to be moved out from this home....... Sounds like it would fit in there, (maybe):D

I'm sure there are some gems in there if a I could find them.........:confused:

Ken:wink2:

G'day Michael,

Before the Great Calamity of 2010 there was some talk on AF about Jogglers / flanging tools.....

tell me about it mate, just what exactly does it do ? never come across this one

cheers,
Bob

Sounds like my kind of place - Incidentely Roger, do you have a spare shed ...

Isn't that an oxymoron, Ken? There is no such thing as a spare shed. As soon as I had one I would fill it up and it would no longer be spare. I am about to build another shed on the farm so I can fill it with all my stuff from Bendigo.

And if you are ever heading to Warrnambool, get in touch and come round and see how much of the stuff you recognise.

Roger

Hi Guys,

has anyone tried one of these ??

http://the2terrys.com/supersnipper.html

I have a bent shaft whipper snipper.... and now have a million and one trees to clear the grass around..... Given I HATE loading the line into the head of it..... and you can't get a plastic blade brush cutter without spending big $$$$ on a straight shaft stihl (or equivalent)... This maybe a good alternative.

I have a straight shaft brush cutter here, but it's a massive industrial 50cc thing that weighs way to much, so you can't use it for any length of time :) The shitty little bent shaft brush cutter is far easier to use.

seeya,
Shane L.