Tool Talk

i've worked out what the scrap metal I've purchased is .... That took something searching of the internet. The previous owner never worked it out and said he thinks its german.

this is the exact thing here looking at the power post.

attachment.php

This is how it works.

DM-C-Ash-Ltd-Web1.jpg

just as the seller described, the ramps drop away allowing the car to be suspended. I honestly don't know if that will be much use, I'll see I guess. Another project that I'll waste lots of time and money on no doubt :)
That hoist you have looks very similar to the one the late John Prins had at Tanganyika automotive engineering when I worked for him 42years ago,the locking rails with dropping ramps was great for suspension or brake work while vehicle on hoist.yes his was European made but can’t remember the brand name.should be a good thing for you Shane when it’s up and running….jim

A Mini leak oil.😲😲😲

The hoists came with plastic drip trays that slot between the ramps.👍👍👍

the modern 4post hoists I reckon would be great as you can fit wheels to them and move them around with cars on them too. It sounds like you need to build some more shedding :whistle: :whistle: :dance: It sounds like you wife wants you too :clown:

the modern 4post hoists I reckon would be great as you can fit wheels to them and move them around with cars on them too. It sounds like you need to build some
Mine came with the dolly wheels but I chose to bolt them down. The shed has two more bays without hoists, just means I'd have to buy two more Minis (or similar) to stick up in the apex of the roof.🤔
more shedding :whistle: :whistle: :dance: It sounds like you wife wants you too :clown:
Errrrr, no.😔

index.php

Well I walked into the shed this morning and saw this .... my brain straight away thought "top seal leakage return" ...... Why on earth did I ever think high pressure would go not only through a rubber line .... but to the top of the ram (it has to go to the bottom ... beneath the piston.

20220724_112107.jpg

The effort this took is crazy. I should have driven up to my brothers place and said "can I borrow your plasma cutter".

20220724_112137.jpg

And this answers everything. A threaded hole (high pressure) and no doubt a high pressure blowoff relief valve it. And just like the tractor steering gearbox, this tank would have had muck and water in it for years. So why on earth does it all appears to be clean rust free .... and the seals inside the ram sure seem to be "sealing". I don't understand this "leave it wet for years, but I'm fine" caper.

So the original setup must have been fluid in the bottom of the tank, a high pressure line down through the fluid to this port.... and the pump assembly and motor mounts into the top of the tank.

Gee's that took soem getting off that big tank ....

Hi Shane

If you like I can do some calculations for you to predict the PSI needed to overcome the load.

Can you please advise:
The rated maximum load of the hoist if it has a rating plate
The OD of the cylinder rod
The OD of the cylinder
The length of the cylinder

Cheers.
Hi Shane.

He are some calculations based on my stated assumptions.

The hydraulic cylinder wall thickness is determined by the hoop stress calculation for the design pressure. For this application I think the hydraulic cylinder will have either 3/16" or 1/4" wall thickness. Therefore if as I have assumed the pistion is 3" Dia, then the cylinder OD will be either 3 3/8" or 3 1/2"

Your proposed power pack has heaps of pressure reserves to overcome the total load for either cylinder ID.

If you have a 3" ID cylinder, then the 10 Lt oil tank is close to the displaced cylinder volume.

Please ensure that the hydraulic hose and fittings are rated for the max pressure of the pressure relief valve. So will likely be double braid.

1658646366040.png

Hope this assists.

Cheers.

1658646920277.png

Attachments

• 1658646172513.png
    1658646172513.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1658646616766.png
    1658646616766.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 1658646839993.png
    1658646839993.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 77
That's probably about right. I'm guessing the deck with jacking bars is probably closer to 400-> 600 kgs .... its 6 heavy "I" beams plus the top cover plates... and two lots of "I" beams to carry the ramps and jacking beams.

It'll be interesting to see if the seals just blow in the ram the first time I try it. I probably should try to dismantle and re-seal the ram, but I'll way until ti blows 10litres of fluid over the shed and strands a car up high before I do that..,, no doubt :clown:

That's probably about right. I'm guessing the deck with jacking bars is probably closer to 400-> 600 kgs .... its 6 heavy "I" beams plus the top cover plates... and two lots of "I" beams to carry the ramps and jacking beams.

It'll be interesting to see if the seals just blow in the ram the first time I try it. I probably should try to dismantle and re-seal the ram, but I'll way until ti blows 10litres of fluid over the shed and strands a car up high before I do that..,, no doubt :clown:
Hi.

It is unlikely there will be any external leaks from the hydraulic cylinder. Any bypass of the piston seal will be collected in the annulus of the cylinder and will return to tank via the hose from beneath the gland at the top of the cylinder.

I have pasted the updated spreadsheet with the additional deck mass below.

1658659068573.png

That hoist you have looks very similar to the one the late John Prins had at Tanganyika automotive engineering when I worked for him 42years ago,the locking rails with dropping ramps was great for suspension or brake work while vehicle on hoist.yes his was European made but can’t remember the brand name.should be a good thing for you Shane when it’s up and running….jim
Jim,
You probably lifted my dad's R16TS on that hoist 🙂

I recently bought a new mill vice from Vector which is Chinese I think. It arrived at my door from somewhere in Oz in 3 days, all 16kg of it via TOLL but I only paid $131.99 for it. Check out some of their other goodies.

Ordering anything directly from China is very hit and miss these days but this crowd has it covered.

1659420308482.png

Last edited:
It's Chinese, and ships around the world. An astonishing variety of stuff in every field.

I recently bought a new mill vice from Vector which is Chinese I think. It arrived at my door from somewhere in Oz in 3 days, all 16kg of it via TOLL but I only paid $131.99 for it. Check out some of their other goodies.

Ordering anything directly from China is very hit and miss these days but this crowd has it covered.

View attachment 208367
Is it Vevor branded? I'm going to buy a 240volt hoist pump from them soon. $300 delivered seems incredibly cheap ... :confused:

I see they even have some foundry equipment like a 4kg capacity foundry and crucible. 4kg, 4kg, pffft! Please!

it'd be alright for melting coins I suppose. 4kg :rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

1659423147657.png

Remember when we had real silver coins? They were mysteriously teleported to the far east.

Is it Vevor branded? I'm going to buy a 240volt hoist pump from them soon. $300 delivered seems incredibly cheap ... :confused:

buyer beware.... the brand gets quite a bit of bad press in the model engineering forums. Cheap oriental, cheap anywhere I suppose, is suspect at any time, you need to do your homework. Although I have a couple of Chinese 240v motors off ebay via local resellers/rebranded that seem to be the job.
I note that with engineering tools Taiwan is getting more mention now as a 'better' choice, how the wheel turns.... :) India is also getting into the market in a big way - nice presentation in little wooden boxes.
My last employer always said "buy the best you can afford", Dad's system was never buy the base model.... :)

Bob

if you have a hoist with a 3phase power pack .... the 240volt version is $270 including delivery today.

how the hell can build a 3hp single phase electric motor, build a high pressure hydraulic pump, build the relief valves, and reseviours and post them out for $270aud ??

someone is making money, and it won't be the poor people making this stuff in factories!

if you have a hoist with a 3phase power pack .... the 240volt version is $270 including delivery today.

how the hell can build a 3hp single phase electric motor, build a high pressure hydraulic pump, build the relief valves, and reseviours and post them out for $270aud ??

someone is making money, and it won't be the poor people making this stuff in factories!
???😉

images (49).jpeg