Tool Talk

Hi folks,
I am replacing my angle grinder and have a choice of buying (for a very good price) one of two hardly used 4 inch ones....a Makita or a De Walt

They are each about $ 100 new.

Which would you go for ?
I would get both. Saves changing disks. Cutting disk on one, flapper or grinder on the other. Just like one needs two battery drills, one for drilling one for the bitl. ;) (y)

I would get both. Saves changing disks. Cutting disk on one, flapper or grinder on the other. Just like one needs two battery drills, one for drilling one for the bitl. ;) (y)
Totally agree.
my 100mm has a diamond masonry wheel permanently attached, and the 150mm has the thin metal cutoff wheel, which gets changed out for a grinder disk as needed. So I guess three would be better!!

I don't yet know the model numbers, Col. Are you suggesting I look up reviews of them ?

I see the point you other guys are making about having two. I think the best option is to keep my old Ryobi and get one other....not sure which, but probably Makita.

The Ryobi is just a hobby one and the screws holding the head on vibrate loose after a few uses, :eek: but I shall Loctite them.

I don't do that much mechanical work any more, but the option of buying one of these others quite cheap came up, and it's difficult to pass by.....

So I guess three would be better!!

memory... :) tells me there are five here, and I'm still looking to change out the occasional wheel... !!

But, what is common is, the plug in outfits have mountains more grunt than the battery units.

Oh, forgot the two drop saws - qualify as fixed purpose grinders, perhaps.... :)

Bob

I don't yet know the model numbers, Col. Are you suggesting I look up reviews of them ?

I see the point you other guys are making about having two. I think the best option is to keep my old Ryobi and get one other....not sure which, but probably Makita.

The Ryobi is just a hobby one and the screws holding the head on vibrate loose after a few uses, :eek: but I shall Loctite them.

I don't do that much mechanical work any more, but the option of buying one of these others quite cheap came up, and it's difficult to pass by.....
Yer look up some reviews. The quality of power tools changes over the years, what was the go to brand 10 years ago may well be the brand to avoid today.

Both are decent brands, but Col is right, it depends on the model number.

De Walt has an interesting story. After Black & Decker trashed their own brand, they bought De Walt to have a quality brand. De Walt's range was initially fairly limited, so they bought the high quality German brand Elu to expand their line with quality power tools. Some De Walt power tools are actually Elu tools in De Walt yellow. I have several yonks old Elu power tools still going strong.

My old Makita 9 inch power saw has had a noisy bearing for more than 20 years but keeps going.

Roger

Hi folks,
I am replacing my angle grinder and have a choice of buying (for a very good price) one of two hardly used 4 inch ones....a Makita or a De Walt

They are each about $ 100 new.

Which would you go for ?
My last makita one lasted for probably 20 years, did a great job and was well balanced and easy to use. replaced it with an el cheapo one that does the job, but much bulkier and not as nice to use. Haven't tried a modern Dewalt. The modern brushless motors seem much lighter to use.

Crucial question - corded or cordless?

If you’re also having to buy batteries and chargers it can make a big difference. I have corded and cordless for key tools like grinders and drills and like others often have different wheels on each grinder for example.

Reactions: COL
My old Makita 9 inch power saw has had a noisy bearing for more than 20 years but keeps going.
Sounds like the Bosch alternator in my old Pug 504. But the Bosch alternator in my friend's VY Commodore burnt out at 150,000 Ks., so I see the point Col is making about change in quality over the years. I shall find the model numbers.
They are both cordless.

Reactions: COL
Oh, I thought at the price you mentioned they would be corded. If they are cordless and you have both kinds of batteries, I would indeed get both. But be careful, some cordless angle grinders are much gruntier than others.

If you only have one kind of batteries, get that one. If you have neither batteries, step back and think about your overall cordless tool needs.

Roger

memory... :) tells me there are five here, and I'm still looking to change out the occasional wheel... !!

But, what is common is, the plug in outfits have mountains more grunt than the battery units.

Oh, forgot the two drop saws - qualify as fixed purpose grinders, perhaps.... :)

Bob
I agree on the two drop saws 100%, Mine have different blades, third one I gave away. The only multiple power tool I went to buy was two drills, the others I have inherited. Re inherited tool, I made a starter tool box out of the hand tools that I had multiples of and gave to my mates then recently married son, figuring tools are a low priority for the wife of a newly married young man and he is a guy that is going to use them.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought at the price you mentioned they would be corded. If they are cordless and you have both kinds of batteries, I would indeed get both. But be careful, some cordless angle grinders are much gruntier than others.

If you only have one kind of batteries, get that one. If you have neither batteries, step back and think about your overall cordless tool needs.

Roger
There are adaptors available for some brands of battery power tools, so that you can run different brand batteries in different brand skins.

1069AE2C-9B9E-4592-96B8-F3E4AE2355EF.jpeg
Trade tools advertised these for $109.00 for the pair

guy up the road has this variation...

ConcreteRamp.png

big concrete blocks don't tend to go rusty, nor unstable with surface conditions... :)

Bob

Either of those options would be great for changing gearbox oil where the car has to be raised, and level with the engine running.....

Cheers

Justin

Does anyone have favorite pullers/puller sets they like to use. Its driving me crazy not have a usable 2/3 legged puller here ( that I haven't already broken).