Tool Talk

I coulnd't help myself.... More chinese merde. Bloody ALDI!! Time will tell if the screwdrivers will be hard enough, but they are certainly a million times better than the last stanley set I bought (they were such garbage the slotted screwdrivers with to thick to fit into screws, and the tips rounded straight off the phillips). It also has precision torx screwdrivers in there

I bought some there about two years ago and they have been excellent. I think the suppliers vary.

The only Aldi hand tools that have disappointed were some Allen keys that sheared off on a stiff screw.

I have a hodge podge of good quality screw drivers collected over 50 odd years, so went & checked them out @ the local Aldi 100 pieces for $29. There is lots of stuff one won't use but they do look good quality & have a nice handle grip.

I have a hodge podge of good quality screw drivers collected over 50 odd years, so went & checked them out @ the local Aldi 100 pieces for $29. There is lots of stuff one won't use but they do look good quality & have a nice handle grip.

I bet you use all the odd stuff now you have it. They are torx screwdrivers ... everywhere on modern cars!

That screwdriver set has pozidrive screwdrivers in it. I'll be damned, I paid quite a bit of money recently to buy them individually (more than this set cost for sure). A lot of the interior fixtures in older european cars are pozidrive.

It is quite strange how the tool world seems to be inventing new drivers, I bought some assorted screw sets recently from Aldi and only noticed when I got them home that they have square drive slots - fortunately I do have small sets of screw drivers that will fit them, shades of the way Australians over the years had to have Whitworth, BSF spanners, then add S.A. E. spanners and unified U.N.F. to the mix and then of all things Metric, not to mention the boxes and tins of different nuts and bolts of the various thread variations back to the old gas threads and suchlike.

Is it really necessary when all is said and done, or just a ploy to sell us suckers a new "dohicky" tool or fastener. As long as Aldi tools are of reasonable quality and price, they suit older Australians as I don't think I will wear or break them, in the rest of my working lifetime and if I did you merely replace them at little cost.

Time to declutter my garage and get rid of all the vintage tools I have managed to accumulate over the years.

Ken

The different screw heads were all invented to solve industrial assembly problems, particularly with powered drivers. Phillips reduced cam out and slip building aircraft, and other manufacturers saw benefits. Pozidriv comes from the 60s, as Phillips were still camming out on assembly lines. Phillips owned the Pozi patent. A pozi driver doesn't seat in a Phillips head.

Self-centring and torque are still big issues on assembly lines. Lines don't wait. The car assemblers now have less trouble with Torx. None of it has much to do with fixing cars as one-off jobs using hand tools.

Last edited:
G'day,
Aldi suckered me in just the once on hand tools, the panel saws had no set on the teeth and the handled screwdrivers were so soft as to be useless...
cheers,
Bob

I've had the same hand saw experience from Bunnings. Hand tool companies here are now importers.

G'day,
Aldi suckered me in just the once on hand tools, the panel saws had no set on the teeth and the handled screwdrivers were so soft as to be useless...
cheers,
Bob
I've had the same hand saw experience from Bunnings. Hand tool companies here are now importers.

They probably did that because they know you will be back for a saw setting tool :)

They probably did that because they know you will be back for a saw setting tool :)
there's a number of saw sets here, going back to grandad, but they're useless on hardened teeth.

cheers
Bob

The different screw heads were all invented to solve industrial assembly problems, particularly with powered drivers. Phillips reduced cam out and slip building aircraft, and other manufacturers saw benefits. Pozidriv comes from the 60s, as Phillips were still camming out on assembly lines. Phillips owned the Pozi patent. A pozi driver doesn't seat in a Phillips head.
How many of us have camed out JIS screws (typically found on Japanese bikes) before we figured out what they were.

Attachments

• JIS screw head.jpg
    JIS screw head.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 139
How many of us have camed out JIS screws (typically found on Japanese bikes) before we figured out what they were.

Ok, so is there a JIS driver?
I know the difference between Philips and Pozidrive (which have a cross stamped on them), and seen the little dot but didn't relate it to anything.

Attachments

• Hilda unit.jpg
    Hilda unit.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 138
Ok, so is there a JIS driver?
I know the difference between Philips and Pozidrive (which have a cross stamped on them), and seen the little dot but didn't relate it to anything.
According to this article, JIS screws are supposed to have that little dot next to the 'cross'.
The drive cross is shallow compared to the Philips . . . as we usually find out when it's too late. At least that's how I found out. :(

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/difference-between-japanese-jis-phillips.html

I meant the Pozidrive has a "cross" stamped for identification between the main cross of the actual screw head.
Pozidrive are different again from Philips and JIS, and are easily recognised by parallel ground flutes driving on the sides of the slotted screw head.
Like the JIS, if you use a pozidrive driver on a pozidrive head, it works.

pozidriv_vs_supadriv_screwdrivers.png

Thanks for the tip about the JIS, I do remember them from a lot of Japanese stuff, especially carburettors and motorbikes, but wasn't aware of the difference. I wonder if one of my "favourite" tools, the old double-ended screwdriver found in Mazda and Toyota car toolkits, was actually a JIS or a Philips?

Cheers.

G'day,

Bought one of these Hilda units a while ago.

It's basically a larger (400 watt) Dremel with a chuck so you can use common 1/4 inch shank bits as well as smaller 1/8 inch ones. Lots of jobs need more horsepower than a standard Dremel can provide. Been pretty happy with mine.

The Dremel with grunt here is an Archer, been here for years...
https://www.hobbytools.com.au/archer-rotary-power-carving-kit/
very versatile with the little chisels, but that price is scary, don't reckon I paid that much for it !!

The Jacobs chuck on that Hilda unit would get in the way a lot of the time - the slim lines of a collet system and small diameter hand-piece makes handling a breeze with the Archer.

Bloody JIS, replaced all the mongrels on my Honda with socket heads, no idea what they were way back then in my youth...

cheers,
Bob