Tool Talk

I'm after some pointers on an inexpensive 1/2 drive Socket set with metric sockets ranging from 10mm to maybe 22mm. Nice options would be extension bars, flex joint, ratchet drive handle, spark plug sockets, carry case, and an extended range maybe down to 8mm. Prefer a set with only metric sockets if possible. Chrome vanadium.

Most sets seem to include useless AF sockets.

The set is for someone new to turning their own nuts and bolts (ahem) as a gift so price is a factor.

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers

Justin

I like a set which is in a compact case, easier to carry around or put in a tool box, rather than the now common spread out in a large flat molded tray. Molded tray, yes, but compact. Just my preference, and a factor to consider.
Cheers.

Not sure the link is right but they want $138.95 now
yeah, don't get the kit with the torch and I bet its $110. its always $89 when advertised on facebook going back a year or two (but postage is easily $20). Its a remarkably good kit for what it is. A bag is MUCH better to fit into your car than a toolbox!

yeah, don't get the kit with the torch and I bet its $110. its always $89 when advertised on facebook going back a year or two (but postage is easily $20). Its a remarkably good kit for what it is. A bag is MUCH better to fit into your car than a toolbox!
I would agree with that , about the carry bag - when the charity shops re-open you can find plenty of women's strong preferably black beauty cases, small and compact in all sorts of sizes usually cost between $2 and perhaps $4, they have a zip top and carry handle and fit in any corner of the boot.

They are strong and if you opt for the small set of quarter ratchet size sockets and will hold spanners and a few screw drivers of the size that are useful in working on your car while away from your workshop.

Chuck in a few assorted nuts and bolts a pair of side cutters and a small adjustable wrench. A nice neat package that takes up very little space.

Ken

G'day,

Well, I dunno, I reckon that the right way to go is the best you can afford - there's something about the feel of a real spanner, say, a Stahlwille, in the palm of the hand... :)
On the other hand, in this place, they tend to get bashed, welded and ground into submission....

cheers,
Bob

I have had fairly good service from modern Repco sets of sockets.
Personaly, I like the thin walled 12 point sockets. Sooner or later, the thin wall comes in handy.

My kit has old school 1970's sidchrome handles and bars, those Repco cards of sockets, and a box of thick walled impact bits

I have an old Kinchrome set from 7mm all the way to 32 in a flat tin box, very good quality, made here (when we still made stuff) and it wasn't expensive. Either way it would have paid for itself many times over and it also includes the goodies you listed. Everything in it has been used extensively including the sizes you would think you'd never need. I am sure you can still buy it, but not sure where it would be made these days.

Stahlwille were great & out of a full metric ring set bought in the late 60's, that were ALL full name engraved, I have only one left.
Indicates others thought my tools belonged or were better in their tool box.
On the other hand I have engraved tools, that were not purloined, but given to me by a departed mate [an auction hound's] wife.
Many collectable WW2 Snap On, Blue Point, Vlcheck & other US classics.

Interesting to see how many owners mark their individual tool with one two or three grind marks, or punch marks, I have seen some with up to eight marks, I always wondered if the first owner added a single marking and the 7 thieves or "subsequent owners" added the rest. As far as tools go even with etched names on tools, it was rare in my line of work to ever find any "lost or stolen tool" reports in the Victorian Police Database.

Then again it was a good starting point if you recovered a significant number of tools with MMBW stamped on the side and some Government Departments had a habit of stamping inventory numbers on things. Hard for the perp in possession to explain why all their tools were marked or painted in certain ways. The older property tracing personnel trained on hand searched card systems were a mine of information in those days.

In speaking with the property tracing guys, engravings on personal items like wedding rings and wrist watches, were more likely to result in the true owner being found. Quite a few lost or stolen were recovered and returned to the rightful owner multiple times.

Alas, with tools the majority of owners didn't even bother reporting the theft of their identifiable tools or if they lost them by the roadside... That last was an interesting thing, as my first job as an 8 year old was delivering Bendigo Advertisers, we had to be there at 5am to get the papers hot off the press and deliver most of them in the dark.

Amazing how many tools I picked up beside the roads as I headed home after delivering the papers, I guess no one then bothered to report their loss either!

Used to regularly check the Lost reports in the Advertiser, but found none. Guess the owners just wrote off the tools in their mind.

Ken

Interesting to see how many owners mark their individual tool with one two or three grind marks, or punch marks, I have seen some with up to eight marks, I always wondered if the first owner added a single marking and the 7 thieves or "subsequent owners" added the rest. As far as tools go even with etched names on tools, it was rare in my line of work to ever find any "lost or stolen tool" reports in the Victorian Police Database.

Then again it was a good starting point if you recovered a significant number of tools with MMBW stamped on the side and some Government Departments had a habit of stamping inventory numbers on things. Hard for the perp in possession to explain why all their tools were marked or painted in certain ways. The older property tracing personnel trained on hand searched card systems were a mine of information in those days.

In speaking with the property tracing guys, engravings on personal items like wedding rings and wrist watches, were more likely to result in the true owner being found. Quite a few lost or stolen were recovered and returned to the rightful owner multiple times.

Alas, with tools the majority of owners didn't even bother reporting the theft of their identifiable tools or if they lost them by the roadside... That last was an interesting thing, as my first job as an 8 year old was delivering Bendigo Advertisers, we had to be there at 5am to get the papers hot off the press and deliver most of them in the dark.

Amazing how many tools I picked up beside the roads as I headed home after delivering the papers, I guess no one then bothered to report their loss either!

Used to regularly check the Lost reports in the Advertiser, but found none. Guess the owners just wrote off the tools in their mind.

Ken
Adelaide strikes again? Wonder whether we know each other....

In the vein of cheap shitty chinese tools...... Rather than dragging the big pump around on the mower trailer ... I grabbed one of these a month or so back.

7ea69872-44fc-462d-ade3-cab6055ecf31.jpg

it works exactly as desribed and is much easier than trying to move the mower around and drag a big hose. Anyway, the kids have finished at school ... and I'm not driving through the bush each day ..... and it bugs the merde out of me looking down the side of the shitbox range rover and seeing all the heavily orange pealed paint where I didn't paint it properly.

Anyway over the weekend (much to boss womens delight) I spent a few hours with 800 grit wet and dry and a bucket of water and run over the shitbox. Lovely and scratchy but now level ........ ish ..... well good enough for a shitbox.

After dropping the sanding pad at least once every five minutes ... and pouring water all over the ground by dippiing the paper into the bucket constantly ..... usually ending up with crap on the paper from the bottom of the bucket etc..... I spotted the "garden sprayer" .... yeah don't call it a poison pump ... that would sound bad :clown: I grabbed the tank and filled it with warm water and a good healthy squirt of dish washing liquid.

What can I say ..... absolutely bloody brilliant. You just keep giving the panel a blast of warm soapy water every few seconds as you sand ..... no scratchyness .... lots of lubrication ... lots of water. You no longer drop the sandpaper ( usually knock it out of your hand against the side of the bucket) and weirdly less water on the ground (as it all mists onto the panel :dance: ).

I wonder if brreathing soapy water spray is healthy for you :clown:

In the vein of cheap shitty chinese tools...... Rather than dragging the big pump around on the mower trailer ... I grabbed one of these a month or so back.

7ea69872-44fc-462d-ade3-cab6055ecf31.jpg

it works exactly as desribed and is much easier than trying to move the mower around and drag a big hose. Anyway, the kids have finished at school ... and I'm not driving through the bush each day ..... and it bugs the merde out of me looking down the side of the shitbox range rover and seeing all the heavily orange pealed paint where I didn't paint it properly.

Anyway over the weekend (much to boss womens delight) I spent a few hours with 800 grit wet and dry and a bucket of water and run over the shitbox. Lovely and scratchy but now level ........ ish ..... well good enough for a shitbox.

After dropping the sanding pad at least once every five minutes ... and pouring water all over the ground by dippiing the paper into the bucket constantly ..... usually ending up with crap on the paper from the bottom of the bucket etc..... I spotted the "garden sprayer" .... yeah don't call it a poison pump ... that would sound bad :clown: I grabbed the tank and filled it with warm water and a good healthy squirt of dish washing liquid.

What can I say ..... absolutely bloody brilliant. You just keep giving the panel a blast of warm soapy water every few seconds as you sand ..... no scratchyness .... lots of lubrication ... lots of water. You no longer drop the sandpaper ( usually knock it out of your hand against the side of the bucket) and weirdly less water on the ground (as it all mists onto the panel :dance: ).

I wonder if breathing soapy water spray is healthy for you :clown:
I though what was coming was that y'all used it to spray paint the Range Rover! Maybe that's next on the honey do list?

I though what was coming was that y'all used it to spray paint the Range Rover! Maybe that's next on the honey do list?

I've already painted it .... a while back. Your average "dodgy doublechevron" job :) I'm not painting anything else until I get a decent spray gun! I was driven batshit crazy with issues due to the old spray gun (and paint thickness due to huge temperature variations when painting).

I've already painted it .... a while back. Your average "dodgy doublechevron" job :) I'm not painting anything else until I get a decent spray gun! I was driven batshit crazy with issues due to the old spray gun (and paint thickness due to huge temperature variations when painting).
So this could be a first!
Firstly spray paint the car, then sand it down for a better finish!
Love what you can do with an old car and get away with. 👏👏👏👏