Tool Talk

Yes, MDF is diabolical stuff and yes there was plenty of dust which is why I spent a couple of hours today vacuuming the shop. No extractor.

Who else buys new tools...... and takes to them with a bench grinder before they are even used :clown:

tatools.jpg

Well my fathers been asking for his long spark plug socket .... I'm certain I've never borrowed it. But that's only 5minutes work to fix either way.

20201027_183354.jpg

20201027_183406.jpg

I just chopped a sparkplug socket near the top and welded a small section of jack handle into it........... All I need now is some nice florescent yellow paint to paint it with (hopefully that'll aid this one to not go walk about)

OK - I will admit it, I will come out and say it: that I am not a fan of Torx fasteners.

I purchased some new tools yesterday a 1/4" drive extension bar and new compact 1/4" ratchet. I thought that I would need them for a job I was planning. I replaced the rear disc pads on my sons Passat, and needed to remove the electric motor and drive that applies the parking brake using the disc calipers. All went well and job finished. But - the drive was held on with T30 Torx fasteners, quite tight. What my frustration is that the T30 Torx driver only engaged an estimated 3mm max into the fastener. There is little holding ability of the driver by the fastener, and you also need to maintain downward pressure to ensure the driver doesn't slip out.

With similar 6 hex capscrews, the Allen key fits into the female head and stays there. I prefer this system. According to the entry on Wikipedia, a similar size Torx can transmit 40% more torque, so I assume this is why it has mostly displaced cap screws.

According to the entry on Wikipedia, a similar size Torx can transmit 40% more torque, so I assume this is why it has mostly displaced cap screws.
And allow a greater angular difference between driver and screw.
I suspect that is the primary reason.

No idea what the quality is like .... bug ALDI currently have 5" grinders for sale for $30 each ....... Wow that is cheap. I've never owned a 5" gridner before .... 9" and 4" yes I've owned.... but the bigger 5" grinders have always been quite expensive!

I bought a new Aldi recipriocating 20 volt battery powered saw Workzone brand recently with a five year warranty, because the previous one still works but sometimes just wont power up when used on its side and of course now out of the five years warranty.

The original one has done a tremendous amount of work and much easier to use than firing up my small Maculloch petrol powered chain saw, and of course I already have a good supply of the 20 volt batteries and chargers so no brainer to buy the new skin while it was on sale.

I am going to pull the old one apart to see why it stalls in that position, and if the fault can be easily remedied. Not very costly either.

Ken

I find 5 inch angle grinders a good size, small enough to hold easily; large enough to do real work. Plus they have the same size hole as larger grinders so you can re-use discs as they wear down. I'm looking for a 7 inch grinder so I can use worn 9 inch discs in it, then re-use the same discs in the 5 inch!

Roger

No idea what the quality is like .... but ALDI currently have 5" grinders for sale for $30 each ....... Wow that is cheap. I've never owned a 5" grinder before .... 9" and 4" yes I've owned.... but the bigger 5" grinders have always been quite expensive!
We are talking bench grinders? Don't bother, had one, no torque would stall sharpening a drill bit. Gave to a neighbour.
Spent just over $100 & get a Renegade from Total Tools product code:RIBG500-8....absolutely terrific & good stones.

I haven't got to know all the sections on Aussiefrogs & until today didn't realize there was a special forum on tool talks. Being taught in the Army we were instructed on how to make tools when the right tool was not available & often not in the system anyway. So over the years I have practiced the art & here is an example incorrectly posted in Technical.

https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...aring-nut-wrench-renault.140831/#post-1676388

No idea what the quality is like .... bug ALDI currently have 5" grinders for sale for $30 each ....... Wow that is cheap. I've never owned a 5" gridner before .... 9" and 4" yes I've owned.... but the bigger 5" grinders have always been quite expensive!

If you mean angle grinder (I can't find anything on Aldi web page), I bought an Ozito 5" angle grinder from Bunnings some years ago, mains power type, it only just does it's job - weakest angle grinder I have ever used - you have to let it built up to speed over a few seconds, then as soon as you apply the load it slows right down, virtually stalls. This was before Ozito became an almost recognized brand. Just saying, maybe you get what you pay for.

Cheers.

We are talking bench grinders? Don't bother, had one, no torque would stall sharpening a drill bit. Gave to a neighbour.
Spent just over $100 & get a Renegade from Total Tools product code:RIBG500-8....absolutely terrific & good stones.

Being somewhat interested in getting a new small bench grinder I checked this out - it is actually from TradeTools and is 8" - but looks OK.
I want to get a small, new (for a nice even grinding surface), maybe 6" bench grinder, mainly to sharpen small drills. I think Ryobi from Bunnings is best value I've seen.
Cheers.

Now I did get an Aldi drill sharpener for little moolah & it is good.
Also Bunnings brand craftsomething? split point drill sets [& there is only one] are good. The same brand sets without split point & replacement stuff are rubbish.
After the Aldi grinder I bought a Ryobi from Bunnings.
The crappy wheels odd bore size were worn out in no time & not readily available @ a reasonable price.
That is when I decided to get the one I talked of previously.
They did have smaller models & some with the correct wheel for drill dressing.
Suggest looking @ Total Tools or Trade Tools for stuff more suited to commercial use & not once a year.
They are not more expensive in the long run & sometimes less expensive to begin with.

If you mean angle grinder (I can't find anything on Aldi web page), I bought an Ozito 5" angle grinder from Bunnings some years ago, mains power type, it only just does it's job - weakest angle grinder I have ever used - you have to let it built up to speed over a few seconds, then as soon as you apply the load it slows right down, virtually stalls. This was before Ozito became an almost recognized brand. Just saying, maybe you get what you pay for.

Cheers.
Interseting. I've bought quite a lot of ozito power X stuff recently .... and its all brilliant (especially for the cost). The cordless angle grinder I use more than the corded ones. It doesn't have the power, so rather htan kicking like a bastard and shattering the disc ... it'll shutdown (the battery tools shut off the power when they overload).

Its like I've turned into a chinese shit battery tool junkee. Last time I was at bunnings I purchased the power X garden sprayer. Way better than dragging the big tank around on a trailer behind the mower. I now have here, the angle grinder, drill, impact wrench, rattle gun, small worklight, circular saw, shop vacuum, sabre saw. For the money, the damn things are incredible.

Interseting. I've bought quite a lot of ozito power X stuff recently .... and its all brilliant (especially for the cost). The cordless angle grinder I use more than the corded ones. It doesn't have the power, so rather htan kicking like a bastard and shattering the disc ... it'll shutdown (the battery tools shut off the power when they overload).

Its like I've turned into a chinese shit battery tool junkee. Last time I was at bunnings I purchased the power X garden sprayer. Way better than dragging the big tank around on a trailer behind the mower. I now have here, the angle grinder, drill, impact wrench, rattle gun, small worklight, circular saw, shop vacuum, sabre saw. For the money, the damn things are incredible.

I should have added - that I also have a more recent Ryobi 18+ cordless 115mm angle grinder and it is way powerful, and consumes the batteries to prove it! Like you I've become a cordless junkie, only most of mine are Ryobi - I think their 18v range with separate skins/batteries came out a while before Ozito's X range, otherwise I would probably be into the Ozitos instead. So once you have the batteries, you may as well get the same brand. Then I got a decent cordless Makita lawn mower (DLM460) which has 2 x 18v x 6.0AH batteries, so I've got a couple of Makita cordless tools now, my favourite - 90° impact driver, very compact, used it drilling in the 'V' corners when building the carport.
And yes, I've also got a weed sprayer (Ryobi) cordless, seems OTT, but geez they are convenient aren't they.

Cordless is the way to go now.

Dewalt are quite clever marketers.
From time to time they offer incredible deals to get you hooked.
I started with a flex volt hammer drill from bunnings,
As cheap as a domestic use brand ....then soon after needed a circular saw. By then i was committed to yellow.
They had another deal recently where the impact driver kit with the 6 amphour flex-volt battery and charger was cheaper than the skin on its own.
Nearly bought their wizz bang leaf blower, but decided before I bought it id try it out for noise... talk about painfull.
Even my two stroke blower is quieter or at least not like a close range jet engine.

jo

About Ozito & Bunnings:
Have a very, very old grey angle Ozito Grinder 240V never missed a beat & cuts really well.
Broken discs mentioned earlier are either poor quality discs or incorrectly used. Price is not always a guide here.

Had a complete set of Ozito battery powered green tools, batteries wore out & one couldn't buy replacements [beat that]!
Chucked in the bin.
Bought a number of Ozito red 18V tools with common battery & charger.
Drill ~Impact wrench ~ Saw ~ Angle grinder for example.
The Ozito/Bunnings 5 year warranty works, just photocopy your receipt or remember what credit card you purchased on.

So far I have had replacements for batteries ~ charger ~ drill ~ indicating they are cheap tools, meant for folks who don't use them.
The red battery Ozito angle grinder works, but has little grunt & I would not recommend.

Bit like Chicom Hi-sence TV's ~ had them forever & a couple of new ones free & installed under warranty.
Eventually the manufacturer seems to have learned & the last 2 are really good plus will beat the warranty period.
A few friends friends bought really expensive Samsung/other brands & had to eat it when they failed after a couple of years.

Last edited:
G'day,

small Bosch blue battery angle grinders don't have much grunt either - unlike the 9" 240v version which 'll rip yur bloody arms off.... :)

cheers,
Bob