To sell or keep

JohnTh

Tadpole
I have a decision to make and need the sage like advise of my fellow members. I am contemplating selling my Mi16. I have had her for 12 years and fully restored her. But I am not using her enough and its a shame to see her siting in the garage. But... everyone who I talk to tells me they are appreciating in value and become hard to find. Its a lovely car and such fun to drive. I don't want to sell in haste and repent at my leisure as I have done with many other cars and motor bikes over the years. That said, last year I sold my 85 Mercedes 380 SEL and its now in a classic car display in the Sunshine Coast. Went to a great home as it were.

What to do .. What to do?
John

unless you need the money, I would keep her - 'twood be sad to see an old friend 'go' if you don't have a very good reason

and try to use the lil' baby a bit more often - say, the occasional hillclimb?

BP

Why the question? Sitting in the garage is an owner induced ailment. Drive her more. Or is it because being restored you don't want to take it out every day? I would just drive the thing into the ground then restore it again and so on. It's one of the last good cars made by engineers for driving rather than accountants for selling. Drive it. Yes, even in events. Leave her stock and see what you're made of. Then drive it home.

Wish I still had mine.

Series 1 or 2, by the way?

Why the question? Sitting in the garage is an owner induced ailment. Drive her more. Or is it because being restored you don't want to take it out every day? I would just drive the thing into the ground then restore it again and so on. It's one of the last good cars made by engineers for driving rather than accountants for selling. Drive it. Yes, even in events. Leave her stock and see what you're made of. Then drive it home.

Wish I still had mine.

Series 1 or 2, by the way?
Ah more sage like advice. You are right its my fault she sits in the Garage. The only modification I have done is to put on lower profile ( modern rims and tires. I keep the other for shows. Perhaps I should put in my Will to one of the Grandsons .

Reactions: COL
The other thing to factor in is whether you actually have the room to keep the car, or whether releasing it would free up room and resources for something else that you've always wanted and would use more.

I sold my absolutely immaculate, low mileage 205 GTI Classic for $14,500 a few years ago. A similar car just sold in a matter of days on Carsales for $40k. So I feel stupid for selling mine when I did. But the fact is, I didn't have room to keep the Classic plus build my 16V conversion at the same time. And when you compare it to, say, how much house prices have gone up in the interim, the $25k that I've missed out on isn't really that big a deal. And I may be wrong, but I don't think the Mi16 is ever going to go up as much as the last of the 205s.

So, if you've got the room to keep it I'd say put the Mi16 on classic rego and just keep it there for when you want to drive it. But if it's stopping you from getting something else that you'd enjoy more, then just move on. An Mi16 may well go up in value soon, but not by so much that it really matters in the grand scheme of what we can do with our lives...

The other thing to factor in is whether you actually have the room to keep the car, or whether releasing it would free up room and resources for something else that you've always wanted and would use more.

I sold my absolutely immaculate, low mileage 205 GTI Classic for $14,500 a few years ago. A similar car just sold in a matter of days on Carsales for $40k. So I feel stupid for selling mine when I did. But the fact is, I didn't have room to keep the Classic plus build my 16V conversion at the same time. And when you compare it to, say, how much house prices have gone up in the interim, the $25k that I've missed out on isn't really that big a deal. And I may be wrong, but I don't think the Mi16 is ever going to go up as much as the last of the 205s.

So, if you've got the room to keep it I'd say put the Mi16 on classic rego and just keep it there for when you want to drive it. But if it's stopping you from getting something else that you'd enjoy more, then just move on. An Mi16 may well go up in value soon, but not by so much that it really matters in the grand scheme of what we can do with our lives...

Hi Richard,
I have the room and I restore Motorcycles for resale as a hobby so nothing claiming my attention.

I took her for a spin in the hinterland yesterday and reminded my self of the reason I love her. For example:

(1) Designed in Turin by Pininfarina, engineered by Sochaux’s finest and elected European Car of the Year.

(2) The legendary engine being directly derived from Peugeot’s Group A Rallye car that won 2 Paris to Dakar.

(3) Endless power delivery right throughout the rev range and pumping out 120 kilowatts in a car that weighs just over 1,000 kilograms.

(4) A complete aero kit including the underbody.

(5) independent front and rear suspension with anti-roll bars, three channel Bendix anti-lock-brakes, ventilated disc brakes, power steering, sports bucket seats, leather sports steering wheel, driving lights.

(6) Peter Brock headed a three-car team of Peugeot 405 Mi 16 entries that tackled the Bathurst 12 Hour cementing the “Pug” with an attitude in Australian racing history.

You are right about the sale price. There was a nice one sold in Sydney a few weeks back at a classic car place. It went for $14k . However, you still see them advertised for 5k or less. There is one in Tasmania for $2500 on Ebay , rough but salvable, would cost to much to get her up here to Qld. Mine owes me 18k all up after the engine rebuild and the full body respray (original colour) but you never get the money back.
I think I will just hang onto her.

I remember doing a drive Brisbane to Melbourne with my dad when I first had my licence. Going up Cunningham's Gap a then new Mi16 tore past us in the Fairmont like we were standing still. Made a big impression on me. I thought it was just gorgeous.

The Mi16 ticks all the boxes for all people. It looks very pretty, it is comfortable on long drives for four adults, it has great speed, power, handling and fuel economy. What is not to like? Not sure there is another car that measures up past or present. I just don't understand why people don't hang on to them. Either way, they'll be very rare soon enough around here to make an event from seeing one on the road.

The Mi16 ticks all the boxes for all people. It looks very pretty, it is comfortable on long drives for four adults, it has great speed, power, handling and fuel economy. What is not to like? Not sure there is another car that measures up past or present. I just don't understand why people don't hang on to them. Either way, they'll be very rare soon enough around here to make an event from seeing one on the road.
Absolutely Right. I have not seen one on the road around here other than mine. I did hear of a chap that had 3 in a shed locally.

I remember doing a drive Brisbane to Melbourne with my dad when I first had my licence. Going up Cunningham's Gap a then new Mi16 tore past us in the Fairmont like we were standing still. Made a big impression on me. I thought it was just gorgeous.
Mine still turns heads Richard. I get young folk coming up and asking what it is, how fast is it and telling me how nice she looks. Our local Peugeot distributor raced one up until a few years ago. The thing I like is putting my foot down and waiting for her to get to 4000RPM ( which does not take long) then she hits her powerband and you still get pushed back into the seat. She will rev forever.

Yeah don't be daft, hang on to it ya dork! :p

Hi Richard,
I have the room and I restore Motorcycles for resale as a hobby so nothing claiming my attention.

I took her for a spin in the hinterland yesterday and reminded my self of the reason I love her. For example:

(1) Designed in Turin by Pininfarina, engineered by Sochaux’s finest and elected European Car of the Year.

(2) The legendary engine being directly derived from Peugeot’s Group A Rallye car that won 2 Paris to Dakar.

(3) Endless power delivery right throughout the rev range and pumping out 120 kilowatts in a car that weighs just over 1,000 kilograms.

(4) A complete aero kit including the underbody.

(5) independent front and rear suspension with anti-roll bars, three channel Bendix anti-lock-brakes, ventilated disc brakes, power steering, sports bucket seats, leather sports steering wheel, driving lights.

(6) Peter Brock headed a three-car team of Peugeot 405 Mi 16 entries that tackled the Bathurst 12 Hour cementing the “Pug” with an attitude in Australian racing history.

You are right about the sale price. There was a nice one sold in Sydney a few weeks back at a classic car place. It went for $14k . However, you still see them advertised for 5k or less. There is one in Tasmania for $2500 on Ebay , rough but salvable, would cost to much to get her up here to Qld. Mine owes me 18k all up after the engine rebuild and the full body respray (original colour) but you never get the money back.
I think I will just hang onto her.
You definitely answered your own question.
She’s a keeper, exquisitely crafted to be driven and enjoyed.
😍

DO NOT SELL THIS CAR! Still regret not buying an Mi16 S1 some years ago.

Its pretty simple really, its obvious that you love this car and have a long relationship with the car.

So if you have the budget to register, insure and maintain the car and a suitable place to store the car when not in use just keep it.

All you need to do now is try and find some time to drive it, maybe leave the daily at home and drive the Mi16 instead.

Keep the thing, drive the thing, enjoy it as one of the last cars built with the priorities in the right order. Cars like the Mi16 will never be built again.