To rebuild or wreck mk3 306gti6

oaksman

Tadpole
I have until a month ago been driving and enjoying immensely 306gti6. Lots of usual maintenance large small done in last 20,000kms .
Clutch flywheel , coil packs new alcantara door skins brakes , just did control arms etc etc. even was about to order the cam and tuning kit when...

Was hit low speed at round a bout damaging bonnet right wing, cracked bumper minor under bonnet damage to slam panel,inner wing front section etc.

Radiator and other ancillaries not impacted.

so repairable.

I keep looking at it in some despair and frustration

While I have listed it for sale 1500

I keep thinking i should repair and keep going.

I realise these in Australia are not that
Common and while not as desirable as 205 GTI which I once owned, I find this all round a better drive.

What’s people’s thoughts on this ?

if anyone has parts in correct DK Grey metallic and close to canberra then I’ll likely do repair.

Otherwise it’s for sale and I’m
Buying a smart roadster

If you don't repair it, nobody will.

Painting will cost $800 alone. Guard, bar, bonnet, trim pieces etc, $1000+. Labour......

As is, you'll get $x00 for it and it will be wrecked.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of $1500 GTi6s getting around that need only a few mechanical repairs and rego.

If you were not at fault, why aren't you able to claim on the other party's insurance?

File a claim on your insurance but give details of the at fault party and evidence of why they are at fault and it becomes your insurance company's problem to chase them.

Id fix it. I have a going one sitting in the shed waiting for me to return to Oz whilst I could have sold it prior to leaving the country. To me their are one of the best looking hatches, along with 205s. And of course the handling... enough said

If you don't repair it, nobody will.

Painting will cost $800 alone. Guard, bar, bonnet, trim pieces etc, $1000+. Labour......

As is, you'll get $x00 for it and it will be wrecked.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of $1500 GTi6s getting around that need only a few mechanical repairs and rego.

I’ll only repair with colour matched panels . Have other cars need painting . This was just a fun fun little car.

Already started to dismantle the affected area. Due to the type angle of hit the rail is straight . Just the top coerced if the Radiator support and very end of inner wing damaged and broken fluid reservoir

School holidays upon me . So it’ll have to sit awhile longer .

Hate wrecking cars, more so if they are fixable , but if cannot locate colour correct panels , may just do it

With insurance that required you to get the
Licence late of the offender.

I’ll only repair with colour matched panels . Have other cars need painting . This was just a fun fun little car.

Already started to dismantle the affected area. Due to the type angle of hit the rail is straight . Just the top coerced if the Radiator support and very end of inner wing damaged and broken fluid reservoir

School holidays upon me . So it’ll have to sit awhile longer .

Hate wrecking cars, more so if they are fixable , but if cannot locate colour correct panels , may just do it

With insurance that required you to get the
Licence late of the offender.
Try contact businesses in the area or review the area for cameras, there could be a chance someone has footage of the license plate. Also who gets crashed into and doesn't get the offenders license plate?

I guess it depends if you want to sink money into a depreciating asset.

And of course if those funds are surplus to your needs. :wink2:

For me, I'd cut my losses and flog it off.

Unless it is going to become a pristine condition vehicle and have some intrinsic value after it's repaired.

My :2cents:

Hi Oaksman,

I have a similar dilema...

After 11 years and 170,000kms together....

I think my gti6 died tonight on way home, pretty sure tensioner or water pump went and cam belt is loose and slipping, same end result as snapped belt :(, will know more when tow home tomorrow....

Whats the motor like? how many kms?

Just weighing up options ATM, assuming motor is OK what $$$ would you be after?

If anyone here is after A GTI6 parts mine just died like Neil Hack’s did. It requires a total engine XU10J4RS swap out or block & sump
repair if you’re super fixy inclined. So if your after parts or a black canvas track day project restore car please call me 0410720782 cheers Peter

If anyone here is after A GTI6 parts mine just died like Neil Hack’s did. It requires a total engine XU10J4RS swap out or block & sump
repair if you’re super fixy inclined. So if your after parts or a black canvas track day project restore car please call me 0410720782 cheers Peter

I can supply a block if someone wants to take on the rebuild.

I have until a month ago been driving and enjoying immensely 306gti6. Lots of usual maintenance large small done in last 20,000kms .
Clutch flywheel , coil packs new alcantara door skins brakes , just did control arms etc etc. even was about to order the cam and tuning kit when...

Was hit low speed at round a bout damaging bonnet right wing, cracked bumper minor under bonnet damage to slam panel,inner wing front section etc.

so repairable.

Common and while not as desirable as 205 GTI which I once owned, I find this all round a better drive.

if anyone has parts in correct DK Grey metallic and close to canberra then I’ll likely do repair.

Buying a smart roadster
I d repair it... becoming rare cars... hell we ve lost two in just this one thread... the way you guys are driving we ll be lucky there is any left in this country by the end of the day...

😉

Cheers

Dino

I d repair it... becoming rare cars... hell we ve lost two in just this one thread... the way you guys are driving we ll be lucky there is any left in this country by the end of the day...

😉

Cheers

Dino
Do you have any pictures of the car? How many kilometers done? Cheers

so repairable.

Buying a smart roadster
Is it car still available for sale? Cheers