Timming belt 405srtd

LuLu

Fellow Frogger
Hi I am unable to find when my timming belt was changed so I best get it done to save expensive damage costs.Could someone tell me what a fair cost to have the job done, I have also been advised to have the watepump replaced at the same time is this needed? thanks as always I get great advise Cheers LuLu.

around $350 for the belt job

how many km's has the car done ?

i have stated this a few times so please forgive the repetitive nature of this but the water pump needn't be changed unless it is leaking or is suspect as they do last a lot longer generally than 80k

but do change the belt because if it goes you will be up for either a new head or maybe just a camshaft

camshafts have been known to break when the belts let go

Lulu, I have a 406 and the cam belt is due to be replaced on mine. It was suggested to me that the water pump gets changed at this time (if required) as it can then be rolled into the labour costs when replacing the belt. Therefore, if the water pump is looking a little seedy, it would be worth replacing it in the long-run to save a few $$.

While I'm on the topic of cam belts... My car's done 73,000km and is a bit over six years old. According to the manual the belt should be replaced at 120,000 or every six years. I've read the horror stories about what happens when the belts snap, and am wondering if this job can wait until the next service at 80,000, or should I make this a priority now... Am just a tad worried, as I don't want to tempt fate...

Liam Wishart said:
Lulu, I have a 406 and the cam belt is due to be replaced on mine. It was suggested to me that the water pump gets changed at this time (if required) as it can then be rolled into the labour costs when replacing the belt. Therefore, if the water pump is looking a little seedy, it would be worth replacing it in the long-run to save a few $$.

While I'm on the topic of cam belts... My car's done 73,000km and is a bit over six years old. According to the manual the belt should be replaced at 120,000 or every six years. I've read the horror stories about what happens when the belts snap, and am wondering if this job can wait until the next service at 80,000, or should I make this a priority now... Am just a tad worried, as I don't want to tempt fate...

if the water pump is ok then leave it be
i have known them to be left on the car if they have only been weaping a little and last all the way through to the next belt change without dramas
if the worst comes to worst and it needs to be replaced at around 60k+ down the road then it's no biggy as it's getting close to a belt anyway

as for leaving a belt and not getting it done 6 years i'd be very worried

peugeot state every 4 years or 80k for all their cars

they used to have 120k on the diesels but they found that 120k was too far heance we know that they can break things like camshafts or rip out the carriers and destroy the head (read big $$$$)

my advice is don't wait, get the car in now and get it done

my father was lucky as he went 7 years and even then only one person at the dealership mentioned it and he was in spare parts not the service department

he now keeps check to make sure when the time is up he gets it done, i think he is getting his done every 3.5 years to be safe

Lulu,
I have just had the timing belt replaced in my 405 SRI.
At the same time, the belt tensioner was replaced.
The cost, including parts, labour and GST, came to just under $500. (There was other work, including replacement of stepper motor and water pump - yes it had to be replaced at the same time as the timing belt - which added to the labour cost).
Certainly get the water pump checked, but don't feel pressured into replacing it unneccessarily.

dbc said:
Lulu,
I have just had the timing belt replaced in my 405 SRI.
At the same time, the belt tensioner was replaced.
The cost, including parts, labour and GST, came to just under $500. (There was other work, including replacement of stepper motor and water pump - yes it had to be replaced at the same time as the timing belt - which added to the labour cost).
Certainly get the water pump checked, but don't feel pressured into replacing it unneccessarily.

50$ for the belt, 2 hrs work, 1 grazed knuckle, several bad words and half a dozen beers at the end of it, new timing belt, new serpentine belt, all done.

cruiserman said:
50$ for the belt, 2 hrs work, 1 grazed knuckle, several bad words and half a dozen beers at the end of it, new timing belt, new serpentine belt, all done.

Cruiserman,
I thought you said in a previous posting (January of this year) that changing the timing belt was a horror job, taking about 4 and a half hours first time you tried it.
Does it get easier with practice?
Daniel

dbc said:
Cruiserman,
I thought you said in a previous posting (January of this year) that changing the timing belt was a horror job, taking about 4 and a half hours first time you tried it.
Does it get easier with practice?
Daniel

About 2 hrs for the timing belt dont mention the serp belt. Yes it would get easier with practice, I had an overnight stop in mine as it got very dark. It is certainly a less than pleasant job (hence the bad words) but not out of the realm of a reasonable back yard spanner turner.