Tie-rod end warning.

jimby

Tadpole
I noticed my 307 "Oscar" that I'd bought recently had a torn boot on the LH tie-rod end, no drama thinks I, I'll replace it and the ball joint which also had a torn boot. Well I have to warn everyone that the factory in France must dip the threads in a corrosive bath before fitting them, for me a seemingly simple job became a job from hell and I figure all our cars will be affected. Make sure you're feeling fit and have a hoist if you're going to tackle the job, don't be surprised if any shop you approach is totally booked out for the next decade.
On the positive side it's unlikely any wheel alignment shop has altered things from the factory setting, which I see as a bonus as I see wheel alignments in a similar vein to machining brake rotors, just a profit leader for shops.
Bear in mind I'm a frail old man now and I really struggle but I think Peugeot created a special hell for us owners of RHD cars, both sides of Oscar were as stiff as buggery so I figure ALL Peugeot's are the same.

Done a heap never had a problem

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

If the boot was torn, it is not impossible to suspect water ingress, which would explain the corrosion and fusing of the tie rod in its threads. If it was salty water, it doesn't even need much or too much time. In a week it will be welded solid.

If the boot was torn, it is not impossible to suspect water ingress, which would explain the corrosion and fusing of the tie rod in its threads. If it was salty water, it doesn't even need much or too much time. In a week it will be welded solid.

Any ingress would only be to the ball area. At least from what I've experienced there's no danger of them ever coming adrift.