Ticking from my 205

airj

Fellow Frogger
Hi

I have a 89 205 gti 1.9.

When i accelerate i have a ticking noise coming from the engine, before you can only hear the ticking noise at high revs.. but now it will just keep ticking and ticking and ticking when i'm driving :( and the acceleration isn't as strong as before :(...

I believe it is going to die soon :(.. there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust tho! i don't know what it is.. can anyone help??

G'day.
Ticking sounds from an engine can be simple faults like a crack in an exhaust manifold or a leaking flange on the exhaust or lack of engine oil,pinging or bearing failure in altenator,water pump or idler bearing's,get a mechanic to look at it quick.
Chuck.

Get it checked asap...when was the last cam belt replaced? mallet could be water pump or cambelt tensioner. Check oil and coolant levels. Engine noise will increase if either are low....even if not down to a critical level yet. Rock on head_ban

Thanks!

I took it to a mechanic and they fixed the problem i was having. But it is now back to the stage where at high revs it will have this pinging noise.. it is so annoying and it really affects the performance..

Does anyone know what this pinging noise is?

Oh, i don't know when the last cambelt was changed. I got the 205 around 2 months ago and i havin't really changed anything, i believe i will need to get the engine seriously looked at.

What type of fuel are you using?

I have an 88 205gti that always like to drink the expensive stuff - it pings alot if I use regular unleaded.

I just use regular unleaded... premium is abit too pricy! and it doesn't look attractive .. so i guess if i want no pings.. i should use premium?

from my knowledge of high performance french cars it is almost imperative you use premium or better still optimax if available i'm in tassie and unfortunately we can't get optimax but i put standard unleaded in my axgt and it didn't like it much at all
try premium for a couple of tanks and see how you

I have an 89 405 Mi16 and have found it makes little difference !

You have two choices, you can run standard fuel and retard the timing by a few degrees which will basically render the engine a slug,,,,,or you can run the good stuff. I have found Mobil 8000 to be better than Optimax.....sometimes pinging on Optimax. Make sure you find a good fuel station and stick to it. There are some really crappy fuel stations out there. I filled up with high octane ULP at the mobil on Oxford St Paddington, I pulled out onto the street and the car started stalling and lost all it's power. Bang some ocatne boost in and it ran a little better. In short, don't compromise your bang juice!!!! head_ban
If you're short for bucks, at least alternate Hi to Low octane. <a href="mailto:simfit@iprimus.com.au" target="_blank">simfit@iprimus.com.au</a>

Hi thanks for everyones advice, anyways i just started using Mobil 8000 and what do you know! i can tell that it is running better then before. The pings aren't as loud as before.. sounds like they are slowly going away?!?!