Thoughts on this 206 gti? Looking to purchase one.

Iwantafrenchcar

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and just want to see your opinions. Infos below and excuse for my bad english.

I went to see the car today, which has 220k kms on the clock. The car seems clean but the seats have several cracks which I wouldn't bother. The logbbok says the timing belt was done at 215k kms. It seems a good deal but not sure about this dealer because they have some bad reviews on google.

Attachments

• Photo_0714_7a.jpg
    Photo_0714_7a.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo_0714_9a.jpg
    Photo_0714_9a.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo_0714_8a.jpg
    Photo_0714_8a.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 85
That year model GTI has around 100 kilowatts and is more softly sprung than the gti 180 which came out a few years later. The 180 has 130 kilowatts and therefore goes a bit quicker. Check redbook.com.au for suggested second hand values. If the car has been looked after 220,000 kms on the clock should not be a problem. Most serviceable parts are available at reasonable prices from EAI Imports.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and just want to see your opinions. Infos below and excuse for my bad english.

I went to see the car today, which has 220k kms on the clock. The car seems clean but the seats have several cracks which I wouldn't bother. The logbbok says the timing belt was done at 215k kms. It seems a good deal but not sure about this dealer because they have some bad reviews on google.

They engine bay looks ok, and having the timing belt done is good. 206GTIs have an issue with the bushes in the lower control arms - they wear out quite quickly. I have had two GTIs and now have a 180. The 180 has a very high first gear which is hard on clutches and annoying to drive in traffic, so the lower powered version can be a better choice depending on your intended use.

Having said all of that $4999 seems like an awful lot of money. I would have thought more like $2000 for a really good one. Redbook lists the price as $300-$3000.

At 220,000 the car still should have life in it, but there are a few things that will probably happen - alternator and fuel pump may be near end of life. Serpentine belt pulleys and tensioner went on one of mine as well. There will probably be a few peripheral issues like this, but usually the main drivetrain is pretty bulletproof.

Hope that helps your decision.