The Towbars thread...

Ray Bell

Fellow Frogger
There seems to be a constant enquiry for towbars, and frequently there are threads going at the same time.

How about we just have this one thread for towbars for all models?

If you have a towbar for sale, list it on here... if you want one, come check the thread, make contact, or post if there's none available.

It would be important, however, that if anyone lists a towbar on the thread and then sells it, that they should post to that effect.

At the moment, Cruiserman seemingly has two 505 towbars, Peter Stein has one.

Brodie Shields needs one, so there's a match, but distance is a bit of a killer. I tried to get the Peter Stein bar for Brodie the other day, but Peter wasn't at home when I went through. I can get one from Cruiserman on Saturday 27/9 and take to Brodie's son's place...

In the interim, I have a 504 sedan towbar for sale.

I'll ask my brother tonight about Fuego towbars... he's wrecking one in the Blue Mountains... though freight might be the killer.

505 towbars...

Situation now is that I expect to pick up the remaining one from cruiserman in Canberra this week for Brodie Shields. That leaves the one that Peter Stein has still available near Taree.

Ive only got one 505 towbar left now and it is staying attached to my SRBT.

First of all... my brother has not towbars despite having wrecked a few Fuegos. He says he's never seen one, though I know that Bruce Polain used to tow the Wylie Javelin around with his Fuego... they must exist.

Now, still for sale:

505 towbar... contact Peter Stein. Located in the Wang Wauk area.

504 towbar... I have this one, it's in Harden, but can readily travel to Sydney or Brisbane, or Griffith, or points in between some time in the next month.

The Gonz:
Put me down for needing a Fuego towbar. I'm also interested in the cost of having one made up, if anyone's had that experience.
There's apparently a Fuego towbar in a wrecker's at Caboolture.

They want $88 for it... I can pick it up and take it to Tailem Bend in four weeks.

But you must understand this part... I have to know within two days if you want it or not... and by phone please. 0411 280 267 or 0414 85 7721.

Well, nobody called about the Fuego towbar...

Now there's a good 505 sedan towbar available.

Complete with a chrome plated tongue and wiring loom. Owen Wuillemin has it on 9631 1495.

Everything's there including all nuts and bolts. It's also the type that doesn't require the lump cut out of the bumper.

I also still have a 504 sedan towbar to spare.

504 towbars:

There are three 504 sedans at my place: my 80 model, my brother's 77, and an 80 model wreck. The way the towbars fit on each car is different, in the way that it affects how the bumpers sit relative to the body. On my brother's car, there's a gap between the top of the bumper and the body, enough space to run your finger along. On the wreck, the bumper sits very close to the body, there's only a 1 or 2mm gap. On mine, there's a 10mm gap at each end, but in the middle the bumper is actually touching the body. I can't figure out why this is so. All of the towbars appear to be the same design, and don't seem to be bent or anything.

Any ideas?

John

Hmm... just re-read Ray's last post, maybe mine is the type that requires the "lump" to be cut out of the bumper - but it hasn't been cut out.

peujohn said:
Hmm... just re-read Ray's last post, maybe mine is the type that requires the "lump" to be cut out of the bumper - but it hasn't been cut out.

read it again peujohn Ray is referring to a 505 towbar.

Originally posted by peujohn
There are three 504 sedans at my place: my 80 model, my brother's 77, and an 80 model wreck. The way the towbars fit on each car is different, in the way that it affects how the bumpers sit relative to the body. On my brother's car, there's a gap between the top of the bumper and the body, enough space to run your finger along. On the wreck, the bumper sits very close to the body, there's only a 1 or 2mm gap. On mine, there's a 10mm gap at each end, but in the middle the bumper is actually touching the body. I can't figure out why this is so. All of the towbars appear to be the same design, and don't seem to be bent or anything.

Any ideas?

Could it be that some are bolted on under the bumper brackets and some are bolted over them?

Ray Bell said:
Well, nobody called about the Fuego towbar...

Now there's a good 505 sedan towbar available.

Complete with a chrome plated tongue and wiring loom. Owen Wuillemin has it on 9631 1495.

Everything's there including all nuts and bolts. It's also the type that doesn't require the lump cut out of the bumper.

I also still have a 504 sedan towbar to spare.

Hi RAY

I was interested in the 505 towbar I was about to try and fit mine to my executive but if I can find one that doesn't require cutting a piece out of the bumper then that would be even better. Do you know if still available??
Owen Wuillemin in Queensland...I will ring him if I know the area code

Ian Wells said:
Hi RAY

I was interested in the 505 towbar I was about to try and fit mine to my executive but if I can find one that doesn't require cutting a piece out of the bumper then that would be even better. Do you know if still available??
Owen Wuillemin in Queensland...I will ring him if I know the area code

07 QLD all the same area code much like NSW 02 Vic 03 SA and NT 08 etc

Ian, Owen's actually in NSW.

Unless there's some sort of change in my movements over the next week, I would be unable to get that one to you before February 20 or so... would that be all right?

505 towbar

Ray Bell said:
Ian, Owen's actually in NSW.

Unless there's some sort of change in my movements over the next week, I would be unable to get that one to you before February 20 or so... would that be all right?

Hi Ray ... How are you going ? Hope all is ok

I'd like to fit abar that doesn't mean hacking into the deep plastic bumper of the executive...

That would be wonderful if you were in a position to help and I would be happy to pay you for a delivery I don't mind waiting late February sounds fine

Do you want me to ring Owen to determine its availability??

cheers IAN

Ian, things have swung your way!

I've now been given a job to do in Sydney before I go to Brisbane, so I should be able to pick it up and deliver it in about a fortnight.

I will no doubt be talking to Owen, if you're happy for me to do the deal I will organise it and advise if there are any problems.

You will want to put your existing towbar on this thread for sale, I guess? Together with the bumper with the piece removed, perhaps, even if that's on an exchange basis?

505 towbar

Ray Bell said:
Ian, things have swung your way!

I've now been given a job to do in Sydney before I go to Brisbane, so I should be able to pick it up and deliver it in about a fortnight.

I will no doubt be talking to Owen, if you're happy for me to do the deal I will organise it and advise if there are any problems.

You will want to put your existing towbar on this thread for sale, I guess? Together with the bumper with the piece removed, perhaps, even if that's on an exchange basis?

That sounds great Ray...you have my confidence.

Yes, my other 505 towbar can be put up for sale ,the bumper has been bought by a chap in Gladstone but I have his contacts if anyone is interested. He is buying himself a brand new turbo diesel peugeot

thank you very much ...Ian Wells

Now for the bad news...

Sorry, Ian, Owen told me tonight he traded the bumper away in a large swap deal he did for some parts for some of his other cars.

I can call the dealer to whom he gave it if you like, but I suspect he will want top dollar for it.

Better hang on to the one you have until we know what's happening...

There is still the one Peter Stein has at Wang Wauk, I'm pretty sure that hasn't gone yet. It's probably still on the car...

I will e.mail Peter and find out... he actually gets up to Brisbane occasionally on business, you never know... the big thing with him will probably be finding time to take it off. But if I'm going by there some time we might get somewhere...