The Towbars thread...

Hello,
I've just purchased a Tag branded towbar from a wrecker for a Peugeot 308 T9 (post 2014). The part number is PEU717. An internet search looks like it is the previous version of a Brink towbar with Part No. BR-573700. It's complete with all the bolts and electrical wiring harness but obviously didn't come with any fitting instructions. I've found the installation guide for the Brink towbar online, but they are only a series of pictures, with no supporting text. Would anyone have the instructions for either version?
I'm particularly looking for a template to trim the right amount off the bumper bar to fit the tow hitch receiver, so I don't butcher it. Any help appreciated.
Hatch or Touring ?

I have the cutout template for the Peugeot 308 T9 Touring if that might help ?

Cheers

Justin

Reactions: COL
Hatch or Touring ?

I have the cutout template for the Peugeot 308 T9 Touring if that might help ?

Cheers

Justin
It's a Touring. That would be fantastic. Could you could scan it and email it? I'll PM you my email address.

It's a Touring. That would be fantastic. Could you could scan it and email it? I'll PM you my email address.
Here ya go - I printed it to scale, but you can probably get away with measuring and marking it.

Hope that helps !

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• Peugeot 308 T9 Touring towbar cutout.jpg
    Peugeot 308 T9 Touring towbar cutout.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 40
has anyone fitted a tow bar to a peugeot 4008 AKA mitsubishi ASX ,Im presuming they would be the same ,are there any issues getting the electrics working ,as my last experience whith a 307 wagon was a bit complicated ,the wiring was there but had to be conected up in the glove box and engine compartment , ,

2013 308 wagon tow bar

It appears that there are 3 different tow bars available.

Hayman-Reece make one with the square socket but not surprisingly according to a comment in this thread it is inclined to scrape over gutters etc.

Best Bars in NZ make one that Peugeot dealers in Aus sell. It has the shallower rectangular socket so the ground clearance is a bit better.

There is a Euro style one on a wreck at Maidstone VIC on FB MP at the moment but the tongue and tow ball seem to be an integral forging so it would not be suitable for fitting a bike rack. Can anyone comment on how these tongues attach to the bar? Am I right about a bike rack? Thanks, Hugh

most bike racks i have seen go in a hayman reece square socket or under a threaded tow ball

2013 308 wagon tow bar

It appears that there are 3 different tow bars available.

Hayman-Reece make one with the square socket but not surprisingly according to a comment in this thread it is inclined to scrape over gutters etc.

Best Bars in NZ make one that Peugeot dealers in Aus sell. It has the shallower rectangular socket so the ground clearance is a bit better.

There is a Euro style one on a wreck at Maidstone VIC on FB MP at the moment but the tongue and tow ball seem to be an integral forging so it would not be suitable for fitting a bike rack. Can anyone comment on how these tongues attach to the bar? Am I right about a bike rack? Thanks, Hugh
The Best Bars system on our T7's Tourings worked very well - the low profile tongue meant it rarely scraped and was easy to replace and remove.

Contrast that to the silly Best Bars system on our T9 touring which scrapes EVERYWHERE ! Just when you think the bar is quite low, the 'tongue' comes down underneath it vertically - instead of out horizontally - to make it even lower and scrape more. Not only that, but it's a pain in the rrrr's to fit as you need to hold the weight of the tongue vertically, line up a hole that's completely blind, and insert a pin by feel.

Cheers

Justin

people are always asking us for towbars. Here is what we have in stock today

2008 P308 Hatch stock number 0067005
2007 C5 Sedan stock number 0058239
2008 C4 Hatch stock number 0066676 SOLD
2012 Megane Hatch stock number 0058369

Call us if your interested.
French Connection
34 King St
Airport West Vic

Last edited:
If anyone is chasing a 308 T9 or DS5 towbar, Continental Cars in Sydney have these three towbars. These 308 bars are not currently available from Peugeot, so used would be a faster and cheaper option than waiting for a backorder to arrive.
Speak to Gaspare 02 9759 9850 (Mon-Fri) or e-mail parts@continentalcars.com.au to work something out with him.
I'm mentioning the current List price on the towbar without any wiring just for reference.
I would think local pickup is the preferred option.

1 - 308 T9 Hatch Used Part# 9160515 ( Not suitable for GTI Dual Exh ) Current List $935 + GST
2 - 308 T9 Tourer Used Part# 9160521 List $688 + GST.
3 - DS5 New but a little weathered from poor storage. No wiring. Part# 9160423 List $656 + GST.

The used wiring harness should be available for both the 308 towbars but isn't for the DS5. I'm told it is possible to use a generic wiring kit instead and that would be cheaper than ordering a factory harness kit. Wiring obviously isn't necessary if you only want the towbar for a bike rack.

1712922867194.png
1712923113903.png