The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)

Unless you are going use a biased magnet system. Or arrange the magnet to "open" the reed when the GB is closed, you may be better to use a mechanical switch.

And reed switches don't like the high inrush current of tungsten filament lamps. a LED lamp would be OK.
Mercury tilt switch

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Agree, it was going to be led, yes the poor little contacts like any mechanical thing do not like to make or break under load. I could isolate it with some electronics and a solid state switch eg FET much kinder to it. Mercury maybe harder to make it work correctly given my experience with the rear door, a bit sloppy these days and its managing a led too. PWM controller next

Agree, it was going to be led, yes the poor little contacts like any mechanical thing do not like to make or break under load. I could isolate it with some electronics and a solid state switch eg FET much kinder to it. Mercury maybe harder to make it work correctly given my experience with the rear door, a bit sloppy these days and its managing a led too. PWM controller next

Why not an arduino? :roflmao:

A micro switch is switch is a switch and is the best and simplest component to use. :wink2:

Arduino, most definitely, mainly for PWM management of dash led bulbs. Also RTC with OLED clock, a surprise coming up guys look out, its in development, will fit standard clock but be colour OLED. Also if I get the energy oil temp, pressure, coolant and then temp mgt of radiator with PWM and the two fans, no two step thermositch for me!

Why not an arduino? :roflmao:

A micro switch is switch is a switch and is the best and simplest component to use. :wink2:

Given the f'wit snapped off the existing switch and left me with crap plastics, mounting it will be harder than making up the alternative.

And this is how it looks now.

To do:

fit lower radiator pipe,
fill with coolant,
fill power steering reservoir,
fix leaks!
Relocate oil cooler

and

go for a drive!

Instruments can wait a bit longer, tacho to fix.

Underestimated the amount of work to do this by a long way.

FU maggot magdick.

USB light in glovebox to see how it looks
IMAG1262.jpg

Bonnet closes - hooray and releases nicely
IMAG1263.jpg

Centered with even shutlines. Starts to look like a car again,, only issue is bonnet is about 5mm hign on passenger side, its hitting the battery!
IMAG1264.jpg

ONce its out I have to wash the house down a bit! Its been an obstacle for far too long.

Tick 1 and 2 off also got a far better rear vision mirror on original mount surprised how easy that was.

Now for next weekend.

What rear vision mirror did you use? Is it to better see the people you leave in your dust...?
James.

Ok here it is, someone had glued up the mount, cleaned it, took mine off and remounted this one, quite easy really. Same width but rectangular rather than the smaller more tapered original.

IMAG1272.jpg

And this is how it looks now.

To do:

fit lower radiator pipe,
fill with coolant,
fill power steering reservoir,
fix leaks!
Relocate oil cooler

and

go for a drive!

Instruments can wait a bit longer, tacho to fix.

Underestimated the amount of work to do this by a long way.

FU maggot magdick.

USB light in glovebox to see how it looks
View attachment 105524

Bonnet closes - hooray and releases nicely
View attachment 105523

Centered with even shutlines. Starts to look like a car again,, only issue is bonnet is about 5mm hign on passenger side, its hitting the battery!
View attachment 105522

ONce its out I have to wash the house down a bit! Its been an obstacle for far too long.

Looking good Matt.... I underestimated a bit also with one of mine... ah well I'll never make that mistake again (or will I?)

What rear vision mirror did you use? Is it to better see the people you leave in your dust...?
James.

That's the plan.

One more thing done today, glued up the black backing to the grill, it now has a reinforced centre pin. to mount better / stronger.

Can't you do some of these smaller jobs AFTER it's registered? We're all dying to see it going!

Last edited:
That was a late evening after work job, the big ticket items are weekends.

Little things weeknights, like the finite state machine for the internal light on, off, decay, delay and decay linked to door lock switch in door or from light plus ignition switch just like modern cars, going to love this convenience!

Thanks for the support too, much appreciated, will not be quite as good as yours though!

Come hell or illegal drive it will be a the French Car day in Brisvegas in a month or two, I could get my self excluded!

Last edited:
No need to be illegal, just get a day permit from QT to move it there and back. I am sure there is a mechanics place around the corner if they need a "valid" reason. :D

Worry not, I wont be.

Adventure today figure out why the bonnet sits high and another discovery. I now know maggot changed my bonnet catch, door trims and fuel cap, wonders never cease.

Kenfuego taught me one good lesson to be more positive so fortune shone, I now know how to adjust bonnets, its latching at the right height, central with the buffers sitting correctly and releasing. Need to straighten bent red trim, repaint cap when car is.

bonnet.jpg

Now with vibratechnics gearbox mount after some effort, started first turn and blew steam, good sign.

Relocate oil cooler, fix tacho, power steering fluid, rego and away I go. July 8th looking good at this stage.

Last edited:
And the other bit of work, time for a resilver of the rear vision mirror, its too retro to let go of, so its apart for silvering.

Careful is an understatement.

mirror.jpg

Update: Even better news, its not the mirror backing its just it needs cleaning, done that and put it back together, after helping a mate buy some car parts online it will be refitted this evening.

Last edited:
I reckon that, in an ideal world, every 205 owner wants a spare dashboard stashed away if they can. If you intend to keep your car then sooner or later you are going to need it!

I think even a new old stock spare would be just as crumbly today as the one in any car, function of how much sun exposure they had. Even if kept away from sunlight and any contact with the atmosphere, i don't think it would be any better. Plastics of the '80s had a problem. I remember back in the day at some point our ski boots started disintegrating like they were programmed all at the same time just like the 205 dashboards. You would just see people on the slopes with one or both completely shattered to tiny shards. I think there was something wrong with the old plastics technology, which has improved immensely since. Someone should start producing repro dashboards with some of the modern plastics. Or carbon fibre, what the heck!