The new Peugeot 208 has beat 6 other finalists to claim Europe's Car of the Year

Wait a couple of years. The French Government is heavily subsidising their electric car production. France will become a major player in the electric car field.

I remember walking into Peugeot in Mount Gravatt Brisbane and asking the dealer principal about the e208 electric car. He didn't even know about it. I googled it for him and showed him. I knew more about it than him. He said they get absolutely no communication from Peugeot France or Australia. I decided to walk away - so disappointed!!

Salespeople in car dealers very very rarely know about cars, even the ones they're selling.

The Ioniq isn't a terrible alternative if you dont want to stump up a Model 3.

Wait a couple of years. The French Government is heavily subsidising their electric car production. France will become a major player in the electric car field.

And selling them all in markets with government policies that support them. There is a reason electric cars are selling slowly (although picking up, albeit slowly) or not at all in our small and largely irrelevant market.

Fun206,

had a similar experience with a Citroen /Peugeot dealer in Canberra, Fyshwick.
Cowboy rednecks and when the carrier collected the car from them he had a look at a service account on a car
sitting next to mine and noticed how expensive the work was for very little.
All this puts people off from buying anything French.

And selling them all in markets with government policies that support them. There is a reason electric cars are selling slowly (although picking up, albeit slowly) or not at all in our small and largely irrelevant market.
I believe that was the reason Renault chose to withdraw the Zoe from the Australian market.

Fun206,

Cowboy rednecks and when the carrier collected the car from them he had a look at a service account on a car
Old problem. How expensive is it to service an R12? Yet one of the main reasons owners didn't buy Renault again was cost of servicing.

Fun206,

I had some "free services" from Alfa that i got done in Melbourne at Zagames. Oil and filter change, 4 spark plugs, air and cabin filter (down know if they were replaced) and brake fluid change (this definitely wasnt done!!) - $860 :oops: Glad I wasnt paying that bill, although I wouldnt have gotten a dealer to do such simple tasks. I did call them back and tell them their "mechanic" had failed to do the brake despite it being in the invoice.

In the old days there was a certain Renault/Peugeot dealer who undercut everyone on new price but made up on the servicing. In the first "free" service he didn't do things like retighten the head.

Russell Hall,
you have a captive market in Canberra of educated , monied people who expect better than a red-neck as Service Manager.
These people are ideal customers because they give the business money.
Which part don't the garages understand?

For that market we have the Prestige Vehicle approach. Translation of a prestige vehicle is something that isn't competitively priced but will impress the neighbors and the other parents at the school drop off. Prestige Service has a Superior Service Manager who can look down his nose at any customer who questions the excessive service costs and parts prices. Works well with German cars.

So maybe the sale of French cars suffers ?
Viability of French cars even coming to Australia depends on the dealer network.
Not exactly rocket science.

The German makes have shown it is possible to successfully sell cars that are at a price disadvantage to cars constructed in Asia. Although it should be noted that KIA has made a surprising inroad into the French market and outsold Citroen earlier in the year. Most of the PSA models have a price disadvantage in Australia that will probably not be addressed. Buyers must be convinced that the cars provide a superior driving and owning experience. The sales people have to be convinced of that too, be totally over the product and actively promote them. Service has to be faultless. The dealership has to own any problems not the owner. I know so many rusted on owners who put up with poor service model after model until eventually they moved makes. The most valuable customers are those who come back time after time. The attitude must move from being pleased to get a car out the door to looking to selling the next one to the customer. We are looking at nearly 40,000 Peugeot buyers from the last twenty years who are not looking at buying another one.
Look at the way Peugeot was established and promoted in Australia after the war. The product was exceptional but the marketing for years was very effective. I quote Consolidated Motors in Sydney 1926: Peugeot will sell well if they are properly handled. I think it's true today.
Footnote: Dommerson knew how to promote and sell the cars but could never get on top of the service problems. The present importer could do worse than studying his sales approach.

Last edited: