The Great Alpine Contest - Bob Watson

bazzamac

Fellow Frogger
Just finished reading Bob Watson's book about the history of The Australian Alpine Rally 1921-2021. Not much mention of Renaults apart of course from his winning R8G in 1970. However, the first rally in 1921 did mention a 13.9hp Renault winning the Open Class 'A" driven by C.B Kellow of Kellow Falkiner Pty Ltd of Russel Street Melbourne who imported Renault chassis and fitted bodies. I have no clue what model Renault it was apart from the fact that it had 13.9hp. There is an ad in the book on page 9 with a picture of the car that perhaps is a clue.

1632968100261.jpeg

Reactions: COL
Nup - that was built in 1927 - 6 years after the first Alpine rally. The car in the ad doesn't have the large Losange on the bonnet nose.

The car in the ad also has the earlier style coal scuttle bonnet...........

that's a weird coincidence, just finished reading an article in latest restored cars magazine on late Australian motor racing identity Ms Joan Richmond. while working Renault Australia Richmond in early seventies Ms Richmond drove a 504ti and was one of our customers,i still remember her coming in and asking if she could borrow Bob Watsons 504rally car while hers was being serviced. unfortunately at the time for her our service manager, Ian amsing at the time i think had to inform her that the car was unavailable.just a bit of a laugh at the time that a lady around early seventy of age wanted to give a rally car a spin ,obviously myself and other workshop staff not realising her experience as a race car driver, even competing in Monte Carlo rally in 1930,s... him

Coincidentally I’ve been UV mapping 3D car models for the livery of Bob Watson’s R8 and R16 in the past few days.
I might have to model some of the oldies and maybe the speed record vehicle.

gawd didn,t do spell check again..... jim
Autocorrect is a bitch. Just as you hit send, you spot it!

You can go back in and edit the original post using the edit post button (if you are the author of course).

that's a weird coincidence, just finished reading an article in latest restored cars magazine on late Australian motor racing identity Ms Joan Richmond. while working Renault Australia Richmond in early seventies Ms Richmond drove a 504ti and was one of our customers,i still remember her coming in and asking if she could borrow Bob Watsons 504rally car while hers was being serviced. unfortunately at the time for her our service manager, Ian amsing at the time i think had to inform her that the car was unavailable.just a bit of a laugh at the time that a lady around early seventy of age wanted to give a rally car a spin ,obviously myself and other workshop staff not realising her experience as a race car driver, even competing in Monte Carlo rally in 1930,s... him
Great story.... Thanks.