The Gecko Dauphine !!!

Trolling all the Dauphine site came across the airdam idea I like, maybe with a bit more splitter. Definitely not the middle lights, more like the yellow/red one. And definitely no tail fin.

Airdam Dauph.jpg

Ray

That front spoiler looks to be straight off a Porsche 2.7 RS Carrera, with a few tweaks to fit the dauph.

No doubt it will work very well so you will be OK to cruise at 200kph :drivin:

This one may have more of the Dauphine charm ?. It is not so 2.7 Porsche looking and I think I have a rough mould somewhere if you need a starter.

TRI4C12.jpg

Busta....

That is more the style I am after, With about 50mm of 10mm carbon sticking out as a splitter.

Well done, any broken 2.7 bumpers around ??????

Ray

Ray, well spotted, that one is a bit special, vey low drag and great airflow control under the car when used with a 50mm - 80mm splitter.

The shape should blend in well with the general lines of the Dauphine, lower front panel and the type of flare you are likely to run on the front guards. The air inlet is not too big and the brake duct can be reduced a little to match the size of the Dauph if needed.

I have a rough mould for that front spoiler but dont have any damaged front bumpers. I never hit anone hard enough to damage a bumper, just a minor rub occasionally to remind them I was there and make a little space, all within the rules of course.:wink2:

The bumper to match that spoiler is an old G series 911, the bumpers with the rubber bellows on the sides. I have to check if I have a mould but the actual bumpers are common and worth more as scrap aluminium than most people ask for them.

Second Part of the Body Rebuild :

Now the front part under the bonnet lower lip was not good, but the cover well that joins the front lower body panel to the boot floor was completely rust eaten. It was never sprayed at the factory, and only small parts on the sides and next to the boot floor had a bit of overspray, so they survived. So I took the front lower panel off after making an edge profile on a bit of chip board. Then I cut all the pieces of rusted cover well out. A fresh piece of steel was cut and shaped and tacked in then the profile was matched to my previous pattern. The front lower panel was repaired and then offered up to the cover well and the side panels, tacked in place and the profile was again checked. And the lot was finished welded. It looked very good, so was light primed with spray can.

Now was the task of cutting out the Dauph suspension cross member, and opening up the suspension holes on the side panels. I also moved the access holes for the top control arm pivot pins. Did all the mods and additions for the tandem master cylinder, extra bracing for maybe a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Put mounts on the boot floor to mount an R10 fuel tank, and as I wanted the battery mounted on the LH side, put in a new battery box, and started the mounting frame for the fuel injection pump and filter and carbon canister, on the RH firewall. All the R10 front suspension cross member was separated, and prepared for re-installation. The crossmember had a very damaged under panel, so a new on in heavier sheet was made and welded on, after sand blasting the exposed interior and priming with 2 part etch primer. Then Easter 2014 I put the body out in my "wind tunnel" alleyway outside the main door, and sand/aggregate blasted all the front panels up to the front fire wall, then the next day came in and primed all the area with 2 part etch primer.

DSCN0028.jpgDSCN0029.jpgDSCN0030.jpgDSCN0031.jpgDSCN0035.jpgDSCN0036.jpgDSCN0037.jpgFront Primer.jpgFront Under Primer.jpg

And that is the way it has stood for some time, because of other Projects. I have other small parts that have been done, but they are for other parts of the build.

Ray

I still "lust" after my Dauphine, and reading about it now shows me the work I have done already. But progress stopped at that last post. The enthusiasm is still very strong, even though it has been standing for years.

But then I will admit a R8 Gordini cam and was turned into a memorable project. A A110 1600S came along and is an absolute stunner, and memorable to drive. Then a A110 with very nice R5 Alpine 1400 came along that was and absolute pleasure to work on and get around difficulties. There was a very fancy 807 road motor for a R17 (Twice), as well as making all the gearbox mounts for a 395 5 speed box. A white R10 that was derelict and parked for 10 years. A R8 Gordini engine and gearbox overhaul. And many more small but very important jobs that made other projects progress.

And I am a lucky Fella to be able to work on all this stuff, it has been a lot of fun. But my R10 and maybe some more Dauphine is about to be worked on.

Attachments

• G with Stripes and War Paint 1.jpg
    G with Stripes and War Paint 1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN0229.JPG
    DSCN0229.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 187
  • Steve P sml.jpg
    Steve P sml.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0281.JPG
    DSCN0281.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0235.JPG
    DSCN0235.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 215
  • On the box.jpg
    On the box.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image000000[1].jpg
    image000000[1].jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0707[1].jpg
    IMG_0707[1].jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 195
Hi Peter,
Stop worrying, I have acquired 2 since then and even done a repair on an R8 by swapping the cross member that was very rusted in the center section and collapsed while jacking the car up.

Take Care,
Ray

I still have that r10 front end sitting here Ray and think off the ridiculous cost they wanted to get it to you every time I look at it
We'll be in Yass over Easter, all being well, with a near empty Scenic.... Sounds as if the need has passed though!

The Dauphine has been very patient, sitting in the back workshop, used as a storage space for lots of other parts, inside and on the roof. But a new parth of thinking has taken place. Now the R10 is getting to the finish, planning is in other directions.

A "ground ponder" Dauph is now gone and a good ligh weight cruzer is in order. I have decided A proper "1095" look is the direction I will go, just like the very last of them were built in Europe (France and Spain). "956"cc with Renault competition parts, 32mm twin choke Weber, original style tube manifolds. 4 wheel disc brakes. Koni on each corner. 15" x 5.5J steel wheels (16 centers), mini trims and hub caps.

Colour will be reverse 1093, real Gordini blue, and white stripes,

While I remember, there's a 956 sleeve kit in my cupboard if you need one. I don't think I'll be using it. :)

Why don't you build a real hotrod Ray....big engine, twin DCOE's, flared guards, big wheels, stripped interior, race seats....c'mon, you know you want to!

Why don't you build a real hotrod Ray....big engine, twin DCOE's, flared guards, big wheels, stripped interior, race seats....c'mon, you know you want to!
Too much time and money !!!!! And I have evrything for it including the bits for a big 4 speed.