The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

family-guy-sinking-ship.gif

It's difficult, this place is only good because of the content we all submit. And without our fearless leader offering any direction to the contrary, well... best start downloading any material you worry about loosing I suppose..

FCF (https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/index.php) appears a solid alternative to stay connected with each other.

Last edited:
Oh non!! Quel dommage!
After joining this amazing site in 2002, I have been absent in recent years due to work commitments, O/S postings etc. Nevertheless, as many members are expressing, the background knowledge & experience available on this site is second to none. Not to mention the camaraderie. I recall the original developer of this site originating from Tamworth, before moving South.

Our family of French cars has just grown by 3, so the absence of this site will be sorely missed.
Au revoir, mes amis.
KJS

People, if you read the original post there is no data loss occurring of content. Where is this coming from? The doors would just be shut, that is all.

There will be an announcement very soon but ideas need to be run past the right people for feedback & opinions. Some of those said people don’t know anything as yet either. It takes time & we still have 4 months to sort it out.

The site will remain static after this date and accessible, but not taking any new content. All email addresses, IPs, private messages (conversations), passwords, will be deleted. Only the main forums will be retained after the transition.

Well confused because of your quote about main forums. Which are the "main forums" that you were planning on keeping? Glad I had the wrong idea.

Regardless, glad to hear there is something else in the works. :)

Last edited:
The members are still around, and for as long as there's a conversation I don't think that this forum will be dead.

The members are still around, and for as long as there's a conversation I don't think that this forum will be dead.
My understanding is that the Cit, Pug and Ren forums will remain as a data base only with no new posts or ability to contact members.

I have to admit, I've been torn over this. So much so, that I've been gradually deleting my posts. I think I'm one of the longest members on here, joining in July 2000. I'm torn for several reasons. Why would the owner not on-sell the product to someone else? If it's destined to be read-only, why should I be part of it? Then I do a backflip and start commenting again, as I help to share knowledge. I think I've deleted up to 2007. Sorry, it's just me but my compass is regularly reading north-south over this one.

I have to admit, I've been torn over this. So much so, that I've been gradually deleting my posts. I think I'm one of the longest members on here, joining in July 2000. I'm torn for several reasons. Why would the owner not on-sell the product to someone else? If it's destined to be read-only, why should I be part of it? Then I do a backflip and start commenting again, as I help to share knowledge. I think I've deleted up to 2007. Sorry, it's just me but my compass is regularly reading north-south over this one.
Please don't delete! This site will continue to be valuable as an archive even if we don't have a live line to the forum brains trust.

That seems like a real shame and an overreaction, especially when your content could continue being a valuable resource in the future. I’ve poured over hundreds of posts and threads and even if new content can’t be added, there is a wealth of information that allegedly will still be available if (hopefully not when) AF should finish up as a forum.

Oh wow! Big news…. And here I am now buying a Peugeot for my kids.

2001–>2022-Member #45

We owe you plenty GibGib and all others behind the scene of AF along with the invaluable “Sharing (of) the Knowledge” along the way. Thanks so much 😎

Thanks to AF, I’ve got some dear and great mates in Sydney and Canberra. These French cars have even helped these mates get through tough personal challenges in life.

Even here in the USA, the aussiefrogs forum is much appreciated! I don't know how I would have restored my 4cv without this forum. As others have said, FB is almost impossible to search and find anything useful. One of the great benefits to forums like this one is the organization of information. Thanks to those putting in the work, and I hope there is a path forward.

This was my reaction too. It was made explicitly clear that my contribution was not welcome.

Interestingly, it's highlighted the extreme flaws in the indexing/search of the forums. It's surprisingly difficult to find all my posts.

I’ll probably just push on with deleting all my posts by Australia Day.

I cannot understand why you wouldn’t want to be part of a read only AF - an ongoing resource rather than a 404 Page No Longer Exists … why you want to stop your sharing, after so long, in that unhappy eventuality and ( given it might not happen ) much less why you are - as is your right - withdrawing your pearls from the public domain already.

Last edited:
I implore everyone not to delete your posts. Particularly the technical ones.
However, I do understand your concerns.

I suppose I'm lucky because after 53 years of family and personal Peugeot and Citroen ownership, and 17 years of AF membership, as of about 9 months ago when my late Dad's 504 TI passed into the safe hands of Pugrambo, there is only one French car left in the family. My son's 2001 406 HDi. And although he enjoys driving it, to him it's basically just a car. So it's been quite a while since I frequented AF almost every lunchtime, either soaking up technical info, or contributing. However, it is EXTREMELY important that this valuable technical resource remains.

I do not know GibGib. I do not know what he is considering, regarding the future of AF. BUT I think I can guess.

1. Along with his loyal band of moderators, he's been managing AF for over 20 years.
2. He has gained no income from it, and his own business has probably suffered financially over the years because of the time AF consumed.
3. The moderators aren't paid.
4. He is probably tired, and needs to retire.
5. Yes, he could sell AF for a good price. It would be a great advertising platform for many businesses.
6. But if he did, he would have to trust that the new operators respected the private information that is stored on the platform.
7. He could do as many have suggested, and set up a contribution scheme and hand over the running to paid moderators.
8. But again, he would have to trust their long-term adherence to respecting members' privacy.
9. Basically he's stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.
10. The only way that he can guarantee the privacy and security that is a hallmark of AF, and retire, is to lock it as read-only and leave it.

And to be honest, virtually everything technical that anyone needs to know about past models is already here to be found.
But what about future models?
Well personally, I'm not really interested in new models from that Dutch company, Stellantis. Or Renault-Nissan.
Unless of course they offer a Peugeot or Citroen badged RAM twin cab ute. Sorry, I meant pickup truck. :)

PLEASE, give the guy the break that he deserves.