The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

The forum is wonderful and should be shaped to something that is enjoyable for members but also manageable for Gerry and the mods. I'm on another big forum which like AF in the past has suffered some down time etc and struggled with moderation. Part of life.

When that sort of thing happens they have a Discord chat group, which has sort of evolved into the more day to day, how's your day/news/ off topic area rather than polluting the forum of searchability and technical info.

It only takes a second to create a group there so if you guys want to take your off topic chat there it might make the forum easier to manage. I created a quick group in case anyone wants to trial it. Works well in a browser but good mobile app too. Less insidious than facebook.

https://discord.gg/DPuM8hevfJ

And to be fair the decision is Gerry's alone.
Yes, that is true in the sense that Gerry owns, and as I understand it largely funds, the Forum. However, it is true too that Aussie Frogs has become a vibrant community and in some sense the Forum is owned, and much valued, by that community. On that latter measure surely the AF community does deserve some say in the future, or not, of Aussie Frogs?

Ian.

no. the community is far from epiphytic but the host proposes to leave the archive up for posterity, for which we should be thankful. to expect anything more is unreasonably 'entitled'.

<snip>
Some of you are fully freaking out about the close pending. Just reminding you that it’s over 7 months off & I’m pretty sure we will come out the other side ok & stronger.
Having said all the above, there’s a very workable solution afoot already, but awaiting an outcome.

Gerry</snip>

Settle petals, trust your fearless leader :deal: :cool:

So... what is the future of the forum?

Way I read it is all will be revealed in the fullness ( see G’s previous ) of time, apart from which it’s commercial in confidence. As I already said - hope for the best and prepare for the worst, also enjoy it while it lasts …

aussiefrogs will be closing to new forum posts from January 26th, 2022.

This will make it a clean 22 years of service to the Australian French car community.

The site will remain static after this date and accessible, but not taking any new content. All email addresses, IPs, private messages (conversations), passwords, will be deleted. Only the main forums will be retained after the transition.

There will be a link prominently placed forwarding visitors to another forum elsewhere (not affiliated) that is either currently existing or is to exist, that current members here could be found again.

Gerry – aussiefrogs.com
Seems I may have arrived a little late to the party?

If, indeed, AF closes, then surely using the UK site is the answer. At the moment it is (for my taste) boringly focused on modern frogs (understandable given the rarity the of old stuff) but, with an inundation of posts from AFers, that would change.

The site layout is similar to AF & who cares where the server is?

cheers! Peter

I've had a look and it's nothing like aussiefrogs which has a breadth and depth of French car topics seen nowhere else in English. For the those interested in older Peugeots aussiefrogs would rival amoureux 203- 403 for information. The English site has a different direction and feel.
There are e magazines like David Vaughan's Country Motor Australia that carry historical articles. That's the sort of place I will send historical pieces.

I've had a look and it's nothing like aussiefrogs which has a breadth and depth of French car topics seen nowhere else in English. For the those interested in older Peugeots aussiefrogs would rival amoureux 203- 403 for information. The English site has a different direction and feel.
There are e magazines like David Vaughan's Country Motor Australia that carry historical articles. That's the sort of place I will send historical pieces.
So what? Once inundated with AFers & threads begun & contributed to by them it would be fine. That there are threads one finds boring is fine (so has AF) so long as it also has threads one likes.