The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

I am not trying to put anyone off running a forum, but unless you have a volunteer who knows a lot about server configuration and software, you will discover that on top of maybe $40/month server and domain costs, you will one day find yourself paying $100s and sometimes $1000s in software upgrades/reconfigurations/recovery from malicious attacks etc.

You need to have a business plan that can survive that. I have (as well as my own 2 forums) done such work for other forum owners (sometimes paid, sometimes pro-bono) and I know how the hours can rack up.

You can see why so many forums have folded or gone to the "free" hosting operators (Don't!).

I'm also a long-time member of this UK forum. https://roverp5.proboards.com/
Another of my automotive interests. It's on a free hosting platform (ProBoards) but for obvious reasons, it has nowhere near the membership numbers that AF has, so probably a bit easier to manage. It is subsidised by the club although it isn't restricted to club members, unlike many other club-based forums. And that probably contributes to its success.
But a lot of unpaid work is put in by a handful of moderators from the club and the admin guy who takes much of the responsibility, has his own business and I suspect, like Gerry, that business ends up wearing some of the cost. I know how much effort these guys put in, so I can only imagine how much work Gerry has contributed on a forum so many times larger. It's a real credit to him.
I really don't know what the answer is.

I was introduced to AF in 2004 by my friend markm of DCSI, back when I had 505s and a 406, and my father still drove his 504 TI, which is now in the safe hands of Pugrambo. We had been a French car family since I was a teenager. 403, 404s, 504s, 505s, 406 and two GS Citroens. Dad had also always fancied the DS, but never got one. AF and all you guys have been a massive help to me over the years, particularly during the era of the 406's Lucas diesel injector pump saga. But alas, with the 505s and Dad's 504 gone, the only Pug remaining is my son's 406 HDI. I suspect that it will be the last. I have no real interest in Pugs of the 21st century. And even more so now. I can only justify one classic car, and my P5B is now it. It's kind of like a big 403, with a V8.

So my heartfelt thanks to Gerry and his team of volunteers, and all those members (past and present) whom I have come to know, and all those who have assisted me with technical matters for nearly 20 years. I certainly hope that a way forward for AF can be found, but I also understand Gerry's reluctance to entrust his baby and 2 decades of hard work to others. It is also very generous of him to make sure that it remains as an accessible archive and doesn't just turn off the switch.

Warwick
Warragul, West Gippsland.

Last edited:
I am not trying to put anyone off running a forum, but unless you have a volunteer who knows a lot about server configuration and software, you will discover that on top of maybe $40/month server and domain costs, you will one day find yourself paying $100s and sometimes $1000s in software upgrades/reconfigurations/recovery from malicious attacks etc.

You need to have a business plan that can survive that. I have (as well as my own 2 forums) done such work for other forum owners (sometimes paid, sometimes pro-bono) and I know how the hours can rack up.

You can see why so many forums have folded or gone to the "free" hosting operators (Don't!).
This exactly (y)

Hi, I am one of the administrators of https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum which (in case anyone has not noticed) is a UK based forum with a similar mission to this one. FCF was started (as the Andyspares forum) just one year after Aussieforgs, and the late Alan S (of this parish) was a founding member. We have a strict non-commercial, no advertising policy and are funded by donation. Our user base is quite international, with members in places as far flung as Kabul, Brazil and Hobart. I am a Kiwi who sometimes lives in NZ and sometimes in France.

We are sorry to hear that Aussiefrogs is likely to close, and we would welcome any Aussiefrogs refugees to join our community, or existing FCF members to put up a post.

We have set up a sub-forum for Aussiefrogs members at: https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=55 , the point of this is that by registering and posting there you will create a future point of contact so that you can be found if or when this site becomes inactive.

regards,
Mike (xantia_v6)

Thanks Mike, this sounds like a great solution. I'll post something on the sub-forum when I get home and back on the computer.
Cheers
Alec

Last edited:
...... and the late Alan S (of this parish) was a founding member. .......
regards,
Mike (xantia_v6)
How did I miss this?! When did Alan leave us?

I wish to add my thanks to Gerry and the forum members for helping me when I bit off more than I could chew, when I bought Daphne duLittle DSpecial in 2016. Though I am not often active here (as I spend considerably more time pursuing other interests), I have greatly appreciated the resources of knowledge, help and encouragement I've found within these walls. Thank you all.

Melanie

Ahhh... come on guys....and gals...
All the commentary like its all over...?
If financials can be sorted out for a few years more... then I m sure this can be easily fixed...
Account details... and its done...
Unless there is more to the story...
I m hoping health is good... and its not that...
Money issues are easily sorted...
Still some time before lights out... so can we try and be more optimistic...

Cheers

Dino

Ahhh... come on guys....and gals...
All the commentary like its all over...?
If financials can be sorted out for a few years more... then I m sure this can be easily fixed...
Account details... and its done...
Unless there is more to the story...
I m hoping health is good... and its not that...
Money issues are easily sorted...
Still some time before lights out... so can we try and be more optimistic...

Cheers

Dino
You’d think so. I’ve asked gibgib 3 times now to lay out the current day to day costs of running the forum, with an aim to make an offer to purchase.
I’ve had no answer except I should guess for myself.
I can only assume he really doesn’t want to sell it, nor want to keep running it. Both are of course his right, but fairly disappointing.

You’d think so. I’ve asked gibgib 3 times now to lay out the current day to day costs of running the forum, with an aim to make an offer to purchase.
I can only assume he really doesn’t want to sell it, nor want to keep running it. Both are of course his right, but fairly disappointing.
I don't think you should consider it disappointing at all... I d recommend putting yourself in his shoes...
I don't care to discuss that that does not come freely or naturally...that but without discomfort.
All I know is that I m here to assist financially to a certain level... and I m not the only one...
And it's an offer of assistance without expectations...
I d be curious to know what is needed...
At $100 by 10 members buys as how much time?
But what if it's $50 × 50 members...
All this is I m sure easily achievable....
We just need a green light and maybe some assistance money can not buy... ie. Voluntary work?

Cheers

Dino

G'day,
well, signed on to the Pommie lot today - and looked at my profile here in the process, 20 YEARS, really, doesn't seem that long.... :headbanger"
Bob

geekpeak,
You were not successful during the interview process. Your line of questioning was considered rude & if you were in IT you would already know or have fair idea the answers to any running costs anyway. You are not entitled to make an "offer".
I do not entrust you with our data & the potential direction you would take 'ole AF. Gerry

Voluntary work never works. Look around.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it and I am willing to do so.

I am also sure there are many others who would too, most likely enough to keep things going so I guess the problem lies elsewhere.

I am also sure there are many others who would too, most likely enough to keep things going so I guess the problem lies elsewhere.

Our large yacht club relies on the services provided by volounteers to supply yacht race management on a thrice weekly schedule, including state and world championships on a regular basis. The expertise of the volounteers involved would be hard to match, they are just brilliant, and unpaid. Volounteers who are dedicated and experienced, from my experience, are not only capable, but indispensable.

I disagree...
Voluntary work does work... its people that make it fail.
So... if the right people step up... yes it can be made to work...
I m not stepping up because I m unreliable, lazy, and not that tech savy... hence my offer of a few dollars...
Important thing is for each of us to do what we can...

Cheers

Dino

Our large yacht club relies on the services provided by volounteers to supply yacht race management on a thrice weekly schedule, including state and world championships on a regular basis. The expertise of the volounteers involved would be hard to match, they are just brilliant, and unpaid. Volounteers who are dedicated and experienced, from my experience, are not only capable, but indispensable.
That is one example and I am sure your volunteers are somehow not exactly people off the street. Which we are here. Well, most of us. I mean no idea how a forum is run and whatnot. Gerry is right. If you don't have the know how, no point in trying.

We also volunteer to marshal our own races set up the track and do all the housekeeping and so on at our R/C club. But we're all racers, so we know how to do all that. And the pay is that others are available to marshal, etc, etc when we race. I would hazard a guess your yacht club situation has some sort of similarity to that.

To be honest, I am amazed that such a great resource like Aussie Frogs has been available for free all this time. I was surprised to not have to contribute to the upkeep somehow but assumed the sponsorship spots somehow paid enough and like most I guess just took advantage of the community as it stood. I am happy to start chipping in for whatever can be organised. If I had the knowledge / ability / time to help I would offer that also but sadly not my strong suits. As Dino says there must be at least 50 or more others on here who would also chip in $50 or even $100 PA to keep it all going, but the money aspect is the least of the problems I think. We need to find someone or some people with the IT skills and the personal skills, wisdom and ethics, all which have been contributed for so long by Gerry. This will not be easy but surely we can work it out with Gerry's help.

Well it seems pretty clear with Gerry's response above that he's not ready to let it go.

It's over to you Gerry. Many here are happy and literally asking where to send the cheques too. If you don't want to sell it, but don't want to run it, well it's done.

I suppose now it's clear this thread was intended as a notice, not to generate discussion.

Oh well, thanks for the forum Gerry.

See the rest of you across the oceans on the pommie one.