The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

Gerry, How much to buy the place?

Everyone, I'm thinking we just need to form a volunteer committee, (meet via Zoom etc) organise some funds, start a membership structure and purchase the burden from Gerry?

Unless there is a single Elon Musk around us whom wants to get in first?

Or Existing Reno / Cit / Peugeot car clubs... make Gerry an offer?

Gerry, How much to buy the place?

Everyone, I'm thinking we just need to form a volunteer committee, (meet via Zoom etc) organise some funds, start a membership structure and purchase the burden from Gerry?

Unless there is a single Elon Musk around us whom wants to get in first?

Or Existing Reno / Cit / Peugeot car clubs... make Gerry an offer?
Hardly an Elon Musk, but I've PM'd my interest in buying. I got a bit of a response, but not a very comprehensive one.

To my mind, the current server costs will be very important to any discussion about sale price. It has been shown over the years (the big crash, the more recent go slow and resources exceeded situation) that there have been times that it has been under resourced, but I don't dare guess what they are. So at this point, I don't know if I should be thinking 10's or 100's (or more) per month.

Many people here have suggested various methods of subscription or support which could be implemented.
There is no doubt that the Aussiefrogs IP has a value, which is intrinsically tied to the membership base and it's willingness to keep expanding the discussion. It would a real shame to lose it.

Last edited:
I’m new here but will happily pay $100 annually for a sticker to put on my Pug. The information and entertainment is unquestionably worth at least 30 cents a day.

We need a clever accountant to help get aussiefrogs on the Register Of Cultural Organisations under Subdivision 30-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.

Promoting ...craft... design.... movable cultural heritage.... Reference the Roland Barthes essay in the application; arty types love a good dose of semiotics.

Then Gerry (or whoever takes over) can derive a not-for-profit income as administrator and we can all get tax deductions for throwing money at AF. I’ll pay $2 for a sticker and $98 for a tax deductible donation 😁

Does anyone know what the Hon Paul Fletcher drives? As minister for communications, cyber security and the arts he would be signing approval on the application.

It’s community radio festival time in Melbourne. Twice a year there’s a two week funding shout-out, but the broadcasters take money anytime. PBSFM and Triple R live off subscriptions, donations and volunteer labour from the faithful but still accept freeloaders as valuable to the community. Subscribers get a car sticker and are eligible for % discounts from business sponsors.

Also Facebook is the work of Satan. Don’t go there. If you delve into the fine print of the t&c you'll find a clause to the effect that any photo / post can be used / altered / reposted by FB without further permission. Same for Instagram...

I don't want to lose what we have here, but it is Gerry's right to do with it what he wishes.

It seems to me we need 4 things to be able to keep AF going:

1. Administrator power to run a functional forum;
2. Money to pay for it;
3. Moderator power to keep it nice;
4. Gerry's willingness to transfer it.

The first 3 things do not have to come from the same people. My feeling is although in some ways it would be cleaner for a single person to own AF, we might be better with a co-operative structure. I would buy shares and be willing to be involved in the governance.

Roger

This last page, we seem to be getting a nice structure developed. I think some kind of financial support can be organised. I feel the next step is a "internet smart" operator or group, that can keep a watch on infiltration of rubbish and rogues. And it needs support and advise from financial, tax and legal people.

It seems this is a sort of foundation that Gerry has been doing on his own.

Ray

Aussiefrogs my introduction to Peugeots and French cars in general is definitely the most valuable, informative and enjoyable internet car group I've been involved with. I really hope that the forum can be transferred in whole to another entity or sold off to some group so it can continue. Amazing work to all those involved in creating and maintaining this group, thank you!

I’m new here but will happily pay $100 annually for a sticker to put on my Pug. The information and entertainment is unquestionably worth at least 30 cents a day.
I have a whole stack of AF car stickers.
How many do you want to buy??

Jo:tongue:

I should complete my sentences before posting.

I’m new here but to provide funding support for the continuation of an active aussiefrogs forum I will happily pay $100 annually for a sticker to put on my Pug.

Though $2 for a sticker and $98 for a tax deductible donation to a registered not-for-profit cultural organisation still sounds better.

😜

I don't want to lose what we have here, but it is Gerry's right to do with it what he wishes.

It seems to me we need 4 things to be able to keep AF going:

1. Administrator power to run a functional forum;
2. Money to pay for it;
3. Moderator power to keep it nice;
4. Gerry's willingness to transfer it.

The first 3 things do not have to come from the same people. My feeling is although in some ways it would be cleaner for a single person to own AF, we might be better with a co-operative structure. I would buy shares and be willing to be involved in the governance.

Roger
I've ran a couple of forums in the past and can tell you it is a rather big commitment/knowledge and needs admin/moderator input on a daily basis to keep points 1 and 3 going. Actual costs are not that high but if there is no income then the owner is always expected to foot the bill as members come and go..... We have tried membership fees in the past but that simply didn't work long term. One of the forums I am currently an admin and moderator for, costs AU$ 455.40 a year to the web hosting provider plus a few hours a day of work. The amount of scammers and hackers trying to get into forums these days is enormous. I am banning 20 or so a day and they still try to get in. Those wanting to take over should realize it's not a short term commitment. Still leaves the main question though; point number 4 above. If a current owner wants the forum dormant then it's his/her choice and I congratulate him for keeping it running for that long (y)

Hi, I am one of the administrators of https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum which (in case anyone has not noticed) is a UK based forum with a similar mission to this one. FCF was started (as the Andyspares forum) just one year after Aussieforgs, and the late Alan S (of this parish) was a founding member. We have a strict non-commercial, no advertising policy and are funded by donation. Our user base is quite international, with members in places as far flung as Kabul, Brazil and Hobart. I am a Kiwi who sometimes lives in NZ and sometimes in France.

We are sorry to hear that Aussiefrogs is likely to close, and we would welcome any Aussiefrogs refugees to join our community, or existing FCF members to put up a post.

We have set up a sub-forum for Aussiefrogs members at: https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=55 , the point of this is that by registering and posting there you will create a future point of contact so that you can be found if or when this site becomes inactive.

regards,
Mike (xantia_v6)

Thanks for the life boat Mike. (only just found out your place existed).

Willingness to pay for the forum to stay alive here too.

Unfortunately I have no idea what running a forum means, but I imagine at some point you really have to pay someone to do Gerry's job. I have no problem with that.

Anything but facebook.

Another website I have witnessed go through a similar transformation was Luminous Landscape. I think they charge now something like 1 dollar a month? Something like that. It's not a forum, but it does have a forum section plus many articles written by professionals and it is now run by Kevin Raber, an Australian photographer. Maybe that is a good model.

Last edited:
Willingness to pay for the forum to stay alive here too.

Unfortunately I have no idea what running a forum means, but I imagine at some point you really have to pay someone to do Gerry's job. I have no problem with that.

Anything but facebook.

Another website that I witness go through a similar transformation was Luminous Landscape. I think they charge now something like 1 dollar a month? Something like that. It's not a forum, but it does have a forum section plus many articles written by professionals and it is now run by Kevin Raber, and Australian photographer. Maybe that is a good model.

I'm not sure if we have the user base with members coming an going as they buy/sell cars. The land rover forum if you have a look is a good example. They would have a very large membership base to work with though

http://www.aulro.com