The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

Have some more fun identifying the cars in King's Cross.(cnr Darlinghurst Rd and William St)

Hilman Imp?
Center pillar area looks a bit wide, the Imp only has a slim body coloured door frame in this area. The C pillar on the Imp is also quite "slender" compared to it's peers. The one in the photo looks a bit too bulky.
I was thinking it's 4 door, either that or it's a 2 door that has a wide, body coloured B pillar.
I said Mk2 Cortina earlier, my phone lacks enough definition but I think maybe the wiper arms are laying the wrong way for a Cortina?

No, it's nothing like AF.
You seem to miss my point. What it is now & what it might are two different things. The core ingredients of AF are its threads. Any AF thread could be present on the UK site without change. So, what is lost?

I agree with 4cvg - FCF is a busy forum, with a lot of discussion about issues with modern Pugs, Cits and DSxs (almost nothing on Renaults, but a surprising number of Xantia threads), but those that do document a project of some kind can develop quite a following.

Since just about any topic discussed on AF would be acceptable on FCF, I can't see why it would be so difficult for any of us to start or contribute to a thread of interest - there's just more "less interesting" threads to be ignored while finding the interesting ones.

One issue that I've noticed - I feel FCF mods are less tolerant of thread hijacks, or just wandering off-topic - mind you sometimes a bit more discipline might not be such a bad thing...

You seem to miss my point. What it is now & what it might are two different things. The core ingredients of AF are its threads. Any AF thread could be present on the UK site without change. So, what is lost?
So I could run an extensive 203 thread with pictures or something like the French Cars in German service thread I'm running now? Or the extensive history of Canada Cycle I put up here? There's nothing like that on there, a sterile environment for modern vehicles. AF is unique and you will find things here that do not exist elsewhere.

Last edited:
In a word - yes. As an example, have a look at Zelandeth's thread on FCF (Zel's Fleet Blog - etc. etc.). This is a 330+ page account (with over 48,000 views) of one person's cars and his repairs and restorations to them, lavishly illustrated with good quality photos throughout.

Others comment occasionally, but this is mostly all Zel's work. He does deviate into accounts of other hobbies (eg. early calculators, computers etc.), work space reorganisations etc., but it's mostly about the cars. By no means all French, they are nonetheless interesting and include a 2-door Jaguar XJ-S.

Of course keeping AF open is obviously the better alternative...

Last edited:
Yes, and the HD was replaced by the HR in '66.
My dad bought a new HD Special Wagon in '65. The tailgate rusted completely through in less than one year!
I doubt any HD taxis were still on the road after.... say '68.
What year model is the Renault?
Everyone knows HD = Hastily Designed and HR = Hastily Revised !

Cheers

Justin

I agree with 4cvg - FCF is a busy forum, with a lot of discussion about issues with modern Pugs, Cits and DSxs (almost nothing on Renaults, but a surprising number of Xantia threads), but those that do document a project of some kind can develop quite a following.

Since just about any topic discussed on AF would be acceptable on FCF, I can't see why it would be so difficult for any of us to start or contribute to a thread of interest - there's just more "less interesting" threads to be ignored while finding the interesting ones.

One issue that I've noticed - I feel FCF mods are less tolerant of thread hijacks, or just wandering off-topic - mind you sometimes a bit more discipline might not be such a bad thing...
As with with this site, the FCF forums contain the topics that members post... The emphasis on Citroen and Peugeot related topics is an artefact of the origins of the forum and the interests of some (historically) prolific members. The PSA parts-number lookup service that we now provide seems to have reinforced that, but there is no editorial bias against Renaults or older vehicles.

We do have a policy of discouraging off-topic discussion in the technical forums, particularly in discussions posted by new users, but we almost never delete such discussions.

We are watching with interest any developments here, and I would not like to see this community fragmented, nor the historical archive lost.

As with with this site, the FCF forums contain the topics that members post... The emphasis on Citroen and Peugeot related topics is an artefact of the origins of the forum and the interests of some (historically) prolific members. The PSA parts-number lookup service that we now provide seems to have reinforced that, but there is no editorial bias against Renaults or older vehicles.

We do have a policy of discouraging off-topic discussion in the technical forums, particularly in discussions posted by new users, but we almost never delete such discussions.

We are watching with interest any developments here, and I would not like to see this community fragmented, nor the historical archive lost.
Thanks Mike.

Does anyone have a contact for the OP ?

I would be interested in taking over and financing the running of the site.

Mitch
Greetings & salutations. Go to the first post of the thread & that's the owner/creator of AF. A conversation with Gerry would be the path forward.

I hope that things pan out.

Just a newbie here, and I'm so happy to have found AF. Sad to hear a move is afoot (from an historical perspective), but very glad to see it's merely a relocation :)

aussiefrogs will be closing to new forum posts from January 26th, 2022.

This will make it a clean 22 years of service to the Australian French car community.

The site will remain static after this date and accessible, but not taking any new content. All email addresses, IPs, private messages (conversations), passwords, will be deleted. Only the main forums will be retained after the transition.

There will be a link prominently placed forwarding visitors to another forum elsewhere (not affiliated) that is either currently existing or is to exist, that current members here could be found again.

Gerry – aussiefrogs.com

Does anyone have a contact for Gerry?

You can PM him (easiest), or else use the standard internet sources.

If you
Does anyone have a contact for Gerry?
Go back to the very start of this thread. It was started by Gerry, aka gibgib. You can then message him.

I'd suggest, if you have not already done so, re-read the whole thread. There have been several overtures suggesting assuming future responsibility for AF. None seemed to attract Gerry's approbation. So too, some messages have made vague suggestions of a brighter future for AF it we would all just be patient ... but no details emerging, as yet.

Ian.