The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

Thank you for founding this group and to everybody who has supported me in my CX project, particularly David Southwell. I have set up a mew forum here to enable support to Australia's French car community to continue. Things may be a little rocky at first but let's see how we go.

https://aussiefrogs.tribe.so

Please share this link with your colleagues and ask them to join.

Last edited:
Beyond the financial requirements of running this site I imagine there's a fairly heavy time requirement of the people involved. I'm sure we could raise enough funds to keep af going, either with donations or subscription.

However, apart from the members of aussiefrogs, it is the "management" that makes this place what it is. If we were to continue, with different people at the helm then a certain amount of change would invariably happen.

The only other forum I'm a member of is lfgss (London fixed gear and single speed) They have survived without ads but do use affiliate links and donations. Although numbers probably play a part as there is a much larger user base.

Maybe over the next 6 months a way forward can be found.

Thank you for founding this group and to everybody who has supported me in my CX project, particularly David Southwell. I have set up a mew forum here to enable support to Australia's French car community to continue. Things may be a little rocky at first but let's see how we go.

https://aussiefrogs.tribe.so

Please share this link with your colleagues and ask them to join.
I have signed up to your new forum, looks like I have to verify my email which I will do later.

So sad, it is such a marvellous place in which to spend time and is so very useful practically. Thank you to all the workers who have been involved over the years.

It is sad to hear that AF is closing as I have extensively used the many many years of know how and knowledge from the very generous members on this site. I would not hesitate to say that without AFs my projects would never have been completed - so it will be a very sad day indeed. At least we can still access (for the time being anyway) the many years of accumulated reference material, but it won't be the same.
Good luck and thank you for generously hosting this site all these years.

"Renault in Australia" was a good site until Tap-a-Talk took it over. Now it is all adds. Surely it is possible to keep A/F going as is. I don't know what work is required to run such a site but surely there are people on this site that have the ability. The Landrover site works on sponsorship from members. Just as was suggested by some one else on here with Gold, Platinum,Silver members.

Hi Gerry :)
I am sorry to hear that AFs is finishing. I have enjoyed the ride for quite a lot of years and information exchange and also the robust discussions(sometimes more !!). Hmm thanks for the site and I imagine it has been difficult and involved a lot of effort to keep it afloat. The new forum layout worked well with lots of tweaks by yourself and others that put in the time and effort. Cheers. :cool:
Possibly you are moving on to a new stage in your life and i wish you well. I will investigate the new site as it is revealed and see where it goes, possibly another enjoyable good ride to somewhere also.;)
Jaahn(john)
PS I would be amenable to a paid subscription to support AFs or an equivalent quality forum. I would not move to Facebook.

Sad news. Aussiefrogs is the one of the very few sites I visit every day. So many interesting opinions and so much expert advice, all given freely and (mostly) cheerfully. Like others, I'll be happy to contribute towards upkeep, but I'll also understand if it's past being fun for the management.

Thanks for choosing to shut down on Australia Day. Would have been stressful if we only had till Bastille Day to find a lifeboat.

Have fun,

Rob.

Oh, its sad news to hear that Aussie Frogs will come to an end.
The time, effort and money that's been put into it has made the forums a wonderful place to share French car experiences with other enthusiasts.
Thanks to those who have worked so hard over the last 22 years. Your efforts have blossomed a wonderful community.

Robert

I think a discussion with GibGib and the management team needs to happen before people go off creating new forums. There is already an Aussiefrogs Facebook group which is pretty active https://www.facebook.com/groups/10181680435 although not as organised as this site.

It may be worth reaching out to the Peugeot, Renault and Citroen car clubs of Australia as they may be able to donate the time and resources to keep this site running.

In regards to offering to help, Happy to throw cash at this, (someone offered a subscription model of 20/50/100, I think that's a good start) and happy to donate time managing spam / backups etc etc.

Gerry there appears to be a lot of good will to keep this place up and running, do you care to speak in detail as to the realities of this place staying live? Assuming you'd want to hand over?

- Hosting costs ($4k a year?)
- Backup / site management (10h a week)
- User / Posting admin (20h a week)

Is that close to what you have been doing?

No way it should cost anything like that.
It's free! But as I said it costs $10per month to keep the ads off it.
Now I don't know how many subforums you can make on these but all you'd need to do to replicate what we have is make a master forum with the menu and each subforum would be a link from there. That way you could do one for each marque and one for chat and sales and any other that you wanted to add later.
Thus if you did have to create several just multiply $10 by that number.
Appoint a moderator for each sub forum so they get all the emails from scammers and real folk.
Jerry could probably stay on board with the key forum if he wished and that one wouldn't have emails for new applicants so the work would be almost non-existant.
The only thing that happens that might be an issue is once a topic gets to 50 pages long the forum automatically archives it and starts a new one under the same name, but I doubt we have many threads that long apart from one about Jokes.

Wow, this comes as a real shock. Aussiefrogs has been part of my life for over 20 years, even during the dark days when I didn't own a Frog.

Thank you Gerry and others for your tireless devotion, I really hope we can find a way to keep the forum alive in some form or other. As other have said, I'd be happy to pay a subscription fee, if that would make it more viable.

I think a discussion with GibGib and the management team needs to happen before people go off creating new forums. There is already an Aussiefrogs Facebook group which is pretty active https://www.facebook.com/groups/10181680435 although not as organised as this site.

It may be worth reaching out to the Peugeot, Renault and Citroen car clubs of Australia as they may be able to donate the time and resources to keep this site running.
I agree. this site is fine. Lets investigate other possibilities to keep it going as is. I pay for the Landrover site and rarely look at till I have a problem where as I check A/F 2 or even 3 times a day, a annual donation would be acceptable to me, it's cheap entertainment. It also provides help when help is required.

Boo hoo.

How do we keep data so the black hole that was godaddy doesn't get revisited?

Many Thanks Gerry for running such an excellent forum. It has been my major connection with the world of Citroen Classics as distance makes it very hard to attend CCCV meetings. I guess all things change and all things come to an end eventually.

Very, very sad.
I have always wondered as to how Aussiefrogs "operated" and what kept it going. What a way to find out.
Nevertheless, big thank you Gerry and others that have made it happen. If it will help, love to make a financial contribution.

As usual, it went prematurely, I was going to add, Aussiefrogs has certainly kept many, many French vehicles on the road. Without it, regretfully, I believe that it will / could lead to the demise of many French vehicles world wide.

John

Last edited:
And here I was checking out Frogs for sale in the view of getting another one.....and I find out it is soon to be over....it's been interesting to say the least. I don't want to buy an old pommy car, (puddles of oil and rust....I just could not take it)...