The elusive 203 distributor spring has been found!

Dano

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
1712306255184.png
(The one on the right is the reproduction)

For some years now, a fellow frogger and myself have been searching near and far for one/couple of these. It is the spring used to tension the ignition advance control cable/lever on 203 distributors. A few weeks back, while looking at a bunch of 203 motors a friend was given, it was noticed that one of them still had the spring attached. The rest is history as they say. A small number have been reproduced by a local spring manufacturer.

If you are interested in purchasing one, send me a PM. I’m asking $10 for each (Cost Price) plus postage.

Cheers,

Dano

1712304797747.png
1712304828097.png

Would just love to know how they fit and where … Pete will probably need two

Would just love to know how they fit and where … Pete will probably need two
Hi Steven,

by design or lack thereof, the spring is a loose-fitting item. The spring was manufactured/designed in the torsion format. That being, to fit them, the two small legs are required to be squeezed together to help insert it into place. The side with the small flat/straight piece is the primary holding side. When the tension is released on the spring legs, the curved end presses against the collet (?) flange, The collet is held into place by a bolt which is inserted through the base of the clamping plate. It can spin on the non-threaded section of the bolt.

1712380720172.png

To be honest, I am not sure how the straight leg is secured. I don’t know if there is a small hole in the main distributor bracket arm or it is simply clamped into place between adjusting cable and the machined locating groove. Next time I'm in the shed, I'll find the mounting bracket and have a look. I’ll get back to you.

Either way, it is a pretty flimsy way of holding a spring into place. When I found it on the before mention engine, it literally feel into the palm of my hand, when I was feeling around in the semi-dark to see if one was there. I am also assuming, that is why they are so rare or hard to find. If you did not know it was there and or not paying attention, it could easily fall out and you would be none the wiser.
Cheers,

Dan