The D9 406

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well, here we are again. This time it is the brake lights - they don't work. The light globes are good, and all other rear lights work. No moisture in the rear light plugs and the loom thereabouts looks okay. The fuse is okay. Logically, the most likely culprit is the brake light switch.

Now, I changed over my fair share of brake light switches in various 504s. Even for young folk, it's not much fun laying on your back, etc, let alone when your a 60 something year old. Unless I'm missing something, with the 406, Peugeot seem to have gone out of their way to make it difficult to check the continuity of the switch, let alone remove it.

I don't really expect any words of wisdom, it's more that I'm frustrated.

Having now read Haynes, it seems that to access the brake light switch, you need to remove the steering column. Of course you do! Why design the switch bracket to allow removal or better access, when you can make life really difficult?

Reactions: cjl
All is well. After having again misplaced my trust in Haynes, I delved into the world of YouTube where I found a video of a man who changed over the switch along the lines suggested by Haynes, i.e, removing the steering column. However, I found another video by someone else who changed the switch without removing the steering column.

I also learnt that although the switch looks to be threaded, to screw it in place, it's actually not a screw thread (contrary to Haynes stating it screws in) but just annular rings and, so you just push the switch into place. Also, the electrical plug doesn't have a press tab, it just pulls out.

I had a practice run on the parts 406, laying upside down in the drivers side foot well and managed to remove the brake light switch in a couple of minutes. Climbed upside down in the road going 406 and fitted the "new" switch from the parts car, adjusted it in the out a couple of times to get the right amount of preload on the brake pedal and all is well.

The real game changer was that the switch is not screw in, and that made a big difference to removal and refitting. Although I had to search a bit, YouTube was very helpful. All up, the whole job was done in under half an hour.

Thanks Peter - very helpful. Haven't had that problem yet, but suppose it's only a matter of time....

(Every time I skite about how brilliant my D9 SV is and how well it's going, something else breaks).

Every time I skite about how brilliant my D9 SV is and how well it's going, something else breaks).
For me, it’s almost always the parts that were made in Germany that seem to break. The French made parts are of much better quality.

And I’m being serious.

You could drive a VW with the same age. It might support your theory.