The "Blue Danube"

Well, 48 hours later and Daffy's premonition hasn't come true... Not one mirror attachment photo? I need at least one! Come on...

and then the left hand drive gremlin struck again (I think...): the mirrors I got from the Germans are the wrong way round I think... If I am not wrong, the longer stalk goes onto the left hand drive passenger side, the shorter one on the driver side - but with the version I have purchased that would mean the adjustment screws are upwards, which looks crap and is wrong. Bugger, not sure what next... Get new ones? Modify them somehow? Have to think a bit more about that... Ideas welcome...

image.jpg

Not much done this weekend otherwise: a few hours fiddling with the braces and light adjusters. I think I got it right, but will need to fiddle with the adjustment now to align the headlights.

image.jpg

Any errors anyone can spot? The confusing number of springs and pulleys needed a bit of mucking around, but I think I got it now...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tested all the lights at the same time, blinkers and the horns... Had the blinker and ancillary light cables mixed up, but after correcting that, all worked correctly bar a blown parking light bulb - and the horns. After checking earth and voltage I pulled them both apart again and realised the the vibrating plate was too tight because the multi-layered gasket fell apart early on. So I made up my own gasket to increase the gap and voila: two working horns again!

Here another question: got new rubber mud flaps for the bottom of the front fender, but they would touch the bottom of the door if I installed them where they go and maybe even catch.... Again: would anyone have a photo how they are to look and where the single rivet (top left of the photo) is to be attached to? There is no spare hole in the chassis to rivet it on...

image.jpg

And one more: I have this M5 nut/speednut left over... Any idea where that should go?

image.jpg

More next weekend, back onto the bloody door locks and adjustment...

Sven

That bit with the screw the wrong way up? Get used to it. I went through all that, and that's how they are. The left is longer with the convex.

Wow Sven your car's pretty. Are you ever going to be able to bring yourself to drive it? I couldn't take it out on the road.

I am starting to get worried about that Lasya! I am sure in the beginning I will be watching the weather forecast, but once she has been in he rain or even (sacrilege) on dirt roads again I will have to suffer seeing the car getting grimy again. But it would be a shame to not use it.

Thanks on the mirror screws: so you are saying the screw head should be downwards, but there is no way to achieve that? Thrown down the gauntlet....

Here another question: got new rubber mud flaps for the bottom of the front fender, but they would touch the bottom of the door if I installed them where they go and maybe even catch.... Again: would anyone have a photo how they are to look and where the single rivet (top left of the photo) is to be attached to? There is no spare hole in the chassis to rivet it on...

View attachment 84888

And one more: I have this M5 nut/speednut left over... Any idea where that should go?

View attachment 84889

More next weekend, back onto the bloody door locks and adjustment...

Sven

Couple of pics that may help Sven. . .

attachment.php

attachment.php

That caged screw clip may be on the lower A pillar for fixing the cover shield under the guard?

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Front sill rubber.JPG
    Front sill rubber.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 778
  • Front sill rubber2.JPG
    Front sill rubber2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 820
Almost there!

I am getting to the end I think, most of the new parts boxes are empty, not many nuts and bolts are remaining (and either don't fit or don't match... Ooops). Have been pestering the trimmer, but he still hasn't received the fabric yet, so the Citroen meet on the 3rd of July is starting to look at risk. That would be a bummer, would be a great first outing. Well still 3 weeks to go...

Have been playing with the mirrors... Stupid things. I think the LHD gremlin struck again: I installed the mirrors the "right" way and now both screws are facing upwards - not as pretty as I would have liked it...

image.jpg

The drilling of the holes is always nerve wracking.... What if the drill slips? So, with the support of tape and going up in size, the holes went in Ok. A dab of primer and paint will protect it.

image.jpg

Bloody iphone... No wise cracks about having the mirror installed upside down (or... Screw does now face downwards...)... :D. The quality of the mirrors is also questionable, not the best chrome/stainless steel... But still looks better than the previously installed non original mirrors.

image.jpg image.jpg

After the mirrors I had to get back to the not shutting doors... Looking at the striker plate it became clear that my filing caused the issue. A trip to Mark's place and I returned with 5 striker plates. Yes, all also worn, but at least I could test my theory that it was not the door adjustment, but the striker plate: picked the best ones and.... VOILÀ- the doors shut! Not easily yet, but at least they locked into the second stage.

image.jpg

So a quick check of the Franzose website: yes, they have replacement ones, but on back order. So once they are available again, I will order a new, drivers side set. And that should be the end of the non-locking door saga...

image.jpg

So I spend the day adjusting panels again... It is better now, but the gap between the front and rear door is still a couple of mm too large. Ok for now though....

had a new spare wheel strap in the box, so attached that... No instructions and I never had one, so I am assuming this is the right way round?

image.jpg

And attacked the front door bottom mud flaps... Thanks to Chris' photos I think I got them right now... Silly design though, but hey: French after all...

image.jpg

Another neat little job was to install new interior light covers: nice, new, shiny ones. They have a round cover, my original ones were triangular... Different age / build year again?

image.jpg

But looks nice... And after fixing one of the door switches they even worked....:D

image.jpg

Played with the replacement carpet set... The pieces seem to fit sort of ok, but I am not impressed just slapping them into the boot. I think the visible edges need to be edged on the sewing machine. The bottom square should remain loose anyway I would think? A job for next weekend maybe... I like the shiny new black boot, so gluing poorly fitting carpet onto it doesn't really appeal... We will see...

image.jpg

And then the final piece: the badge. Used double sided foam tape. A bit of back and forth of where the badge should go and ... Stuck on. Beautiful- finishes the car...

image.jpg

Can never have enough close ups...

image.jpg

Finished? Almost... Waiting for the interior, a few more bits and bobs, but almost good to go back onto the road. Looking forward to driving it again after almost 10 months of restoration...

image.jpg

Sven

Good news on the door strikes Sven :wink2:

Fingers crossed for your upholstery, would be good to see the car at the Qld Grand Display :headbang:

I think you may have the tyre strap upside down so the part you have fixed to the left should be on the right and vice versa
:confused:

attachment.php

Love to see how the car looks without the whitewalls (naughty sorry) :clown:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DS Tyre Strap.JPG
    DS Tyre Strap.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 769
Love to see how the car looks without the whitewalls (naughty sorry) :clown:

You know what... I am starting to get a bit peeved about the strange brown stain that builds up on the white walls during the week and is a pain to get off... And the car hasn't even been on the road yet. So your mental jinxing might prove successful after all :D!

You know what... I am starting to get a bit peeved about the strange brown stain that builds up on the white walls during the week and is a pain to get off... And the car hasn't even been on the road yet. So your mental jinxing might prove successful after all :D!
Hi Sven, try spraying engine degreaser onto the whitewalls, I know it sounds strange but try it on a small area first, you'll be amazed how it will remove stains from the tyres.

Well, a quick update...

Not a lot more to be done except the interior, so have been at the trimmer, collecting my carpet roll to double check the colour to the sill vinyl and the seat fabric again.

You can see the small square swatch in the background - that is the current, dirty carpet colour... a lot darker and browner, so I think the grey will lighten up the foot wells quite a bit more. It also goes well with the sill grey and the blue fabric choice. He promised to do the door cards this week, ready for install next weekend and then the seats - to be ready latest end of June - am suspicious he will get it done, but we will see!

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

Finished the doors as well, with new vapour barriers glued in place and new plugs, ready for the door cards.

IMG_3938.jpg

And then I found a puddle under the front of the car... :(. Luckily it was only wiper wash water... but pointed to a leaking pump. Now, after pulling it a apart I tracked the leak back to the little rubber grommet/O-ring.

Here the million $ question: Would anyone know where to get one of those? I know I can buy a new pump, but I like the look of the original pump, so it would be nice to keep it, for the sake of a tiny rubber seal...

Maybe someone has an old pump that failed, but still has a good seal?

IMG_3936.jpg

Here a close up... anyone?

FullSizeRender.jpg

The rest of the washed out weekend was taken up by assessing the fit of the carpet set for the boot - seems to be quite good on closer inspection, so I decided I will put it in (even though it covers up my nice shiny black paint). But the fuzzy sisal backing / edges irked me, so I got some edging tape and glued it on, then ran across it will the sewing machine (photo soon). Looks neater and will stop fluff in the boot... :D. No one wants fluff in the boot...

Will also try Chris' degreaser trick on the white walls. Cleaned them again and added trim protectant this time - lets see if that stops the stain. Silly things...

Anyway, almost there. Let's hope the trimmer does a good job on the door cards this week.

Sven

Sven, are the black vinyl discs on your door interiors new or were on before respray? Need to source a set,

you're almost there lucky duck!

Hi Sven,
'O' rings are available in almost micron step increments. Try https://www.ludowiciseals.com.au/. as a start.They are a tried and tested product (ignore one space shuttle issue) but don't measure your existing seal, measure the recess and gauge your 'O' ring to fill that recess and induce 20% compression of the 'O' ring after assembly. The other issue is selecting the correct material but you should not have too many problems there.

Typical, I took a closer look at the photo AFTER I posted this. :disappr: It does not look like an 'O' ring.

SF

I've been meaning to get back to you Gill uses "Multi-use cleaning eraser" It's a four pack that comes in a purple and blue box. They're small white sponges that bring them back to white beautifully.

Only one week to go... Will she be ready?

Cutting it close... Only a week to the Brisbane meet next Sunday. Not sure the car will be ready as I am still waiting for the seats and carpet... They have been promised, but it is cutting it fine. Anyway, it will be what it will be.

In the meantime I decided to install the boot carpet. The pieces seem to fit ok, so i got on with it...

image.jpg

First I edges the main pieces with the visible edges, so the fuzzy sisal doesn't show.

image.jpg

The edges near the boot entry needed a slightly more flexible edging... My wife had some lace left over (as you do :wink2:) which did the job just fine!

image.jpg

The rear cover was the first to be glued together. Spray glue both sides worked a treat, but man... It showed: once the pieces are stuck, they are stuck... No moving post placement. A WARNING for the next pieces...

image.jpg

Sadly I had to roughen up my beautiful black paintjob first and started with the bottom sill pieces - certainly a two man job. Started on the bottom and the front, then prayed that the rest fit and folded up ok. Except a slight gap on the front, all went well.

image.jpg

The vertical pieces were a pig of a thing to attach as they needed to not only fit on the front, but also around the top bootlid brace and then slide under (remember you cannot slide the pieces, just prod and push them under the bootlid frame pieces) the left and right hand boot lip carrier strips...

one ended up a little off, but that was covered by the boot light switch - phew! :blackeye:

image.jpg

But I think it has come up pretty well in the end. I left the bottom piece loose for now, might glue it on later or not at all for better cleaning.

and although the seat aren't ready yet, the door cards are - yes, the fabric isn't original, but I really like it! The white vinyl, with the blue fabric and the original door pockets and bottom pieces are a great match with the bleu platinee external colour! Very happy!

image.jpg

With new plugs and a bit of friggin' around the first card clipped in nicely and is sitting properly in the recess of the door. I must however wonder what the point of the plastic inserts is... The top halves of each door has just a hole that the clips clip into - and I found them to have a much neater and more solid fit than the plastic plugs. So why not make them all just metal holes..?

image.jpg

And the panels fit neatly -here a view from the side... Had to stand the car on its end...

image.jpg

More of a close up of the sewing and the fabric - love it... Cannot wait for the seats!

image.jpg

Front door cards also in place.

image.jpg

Almost ready - can you see it yet...:spy:

image.jpg

Well, might still see some of you next Sunday... Lets hope for the best, maybe with only one seat...

hey, is anyone able to help with that buggered windscreen wiper washer seal? (Photo a couple of posts earlier), or do I need to buy a whole new pump? Anyone?

Sven

Sven, are the black vinyl discs on your door interiors new or were on before respray? Need to source some.

Oops, sorry, forgot to answer: they were on the doors originally, cut from the same vinyl as the sills or boot lining. They are about 7 cm diameter and three per door. Not sure whether you can buy them, but they are easy to be cut from any old vinyl lining. They are about 5mm thick.

hope that helps. Sven

Thanks Sven, I noticed the material is dissimilar to the floor lining, ( I kept what was still good off original) so I'll just use that!

The vinyl was a different pattern and darker I thought. More like a rear shelf stuff but anyway.

It's not like anyone is going to see it. ; )