Technical advice

dmccurtayne

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Over the past few weeks I’ve seen a lot of posts asking for help and parts advise but not giving a description of the vehicle ie just saying 206 is not enough.
Some people on here give great advice and are very helpful but nothing is more frustrating than having to ask what year what engine etc ( and sometimes not getting a response) And for some of us with a bit higher knowledge base a vin would be great don’t forget nobody can do anything with your vin and it is stamped on the windscreen of most cars for the world to see.
This below is a perfect example of a good description

I have a 2011 308 Sportium HDI Auto, with the RHR motor. It has done 74,000 KM's.

With that info you will get your answer within a few replies or at least won’t have to waste time or get frustrated with standard replies.

I’m not trying to be rude but I do like helping the people on this forum but find having to go back and forth a bit tiring.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this could be made a sticky. . .

It's not just applicable to the modern cars but also our classics. At the very least make, model, year and location - information that could have offers of help or parts to get you up and running.

Cheers
Chris

Over the past few weeks I’ve seen a lot of posts asking for help and parts advise but not giving a description of the vehicle ie just saying 206 is not enough.
Some people on here give great advice and are very helpful but nothing is more frustrating than having to ask what year what engine etc ( and sometimes not getting a response) And for some of us with a bit higher knowledge base a vin would be great don’t forget nobody can do anything with your vin and it is stamped on the windscreen of most cars for the world to see.
This below is a perfect example of a good description

I have a 2011 308 Sportium HDI Auto, with the RHR motor. It has done 74,000 KM's.

With that info you will get your answer within a few replies or at least won’t have to waste time or get frustrated with standard replies.

I’m not trying to be rude but I do like helping the people on this forum but find having to go back and forth a bit tiring.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

And I can guarantee that David will help you whenever he can, as I have experienced that first hand!

And I can guarantee that David will help you whenever he can, as I have experienced that first hand!
+ 1, even when i got my vin wrong!

You’re off a little there it well could be a RHH but a bunch of RHR early 2010 cars had sportium spec and sold as 2011 compliance nevertheless it was take as a example copied from a post early that week.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

So, here I go, asking for some Technical Advice as best I can.
This year I have finally taken the plunge and added two C5s (proper hydractive citroens) to the stable, complimenting my steel-sprung Cits.
The most recent purchase is a 2011 X7 with VIN VF7RDRHHML567815 with 120K kilometers on the odometer.
The other day, on the driveway at home, it presented me with "THIS".
191641_BungAppear1small.jpg191641_BungAppear1small.jpg
Some time spent investigating images of the DW10CTED4 engines had me believing that it belonged in the centre of the harmonic balancer, so I jacked her up and took off the driver's side wheel, and did my best to put it back where it belonged.
How long it stayed where I had put it is unknown. Maybe 5 metres, or maybe a whole day involving 150 kilometres of driving. Anyway, it was BACK on the driveway on Monday!
The car seems to drive fine without it, so how important is it that THIS goes back to where it WAS, and why do you think that it has decided to "leave home" and refuse to go back? Did I not push it back the right way, or is there also some clip-thingo missing which would otherwise hold it in the proper place.

Second question is... where in the Brisbane-Gold Coast zone of the planet would I find a mechanic who knows these engines (I also have a 2009 with a DW10BTED4 version - 144K kilometers VIN VF7RDRHRJ54049636) but doesn't work for a Car Yard?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Am not fully confident that the pics that I think that I attached will be there!
Time will tell.
Thanks in advance.
Jez

Last edited:
It’s only really a dust type cover don’t worry about it you can used silicone to stick it in but I’ve always left them out because that happens, well done figuring out what it was, it’s just that I’ve done a thousand cam belts but never seeing one before [emoji106]

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

What did you pay for the 2011 one

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

$7K... from a dealer.
Salesman said that it had been traded on a KIA.
Maybe because it was June 30th, but I think that I got a bargain!
Seems a beautiful car to me, but she doesn't seem to go as hard as the 2009 version... when she is supposed to have 20% more power.
Anyway, thanks for your advice. That thing surely looks like a dust cover, but it may now become a 'shelf ornament' = dust collector!
Cheers!
Jez

$7K... from a dealer.
Salesman said that it had been traded on a KIA.
Maybe because it was June 30th, but I think that I got a bargain!
Seems a beautiful car to me, but she doesn't seem to go as hard as the 2009 version... when she is supposed to have 20% more power.
Anyway, thanks for your advice. That thing surely looks like a dust cover, but it may now become a 'shelf ornament' = dust collector!
Cheers!
Jez

It should be night and day with the rhr odd

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

If possible, it could be practical to allow space on the profile column left of here - under the photo for example - for a few car data. Then a contributor’s vehiclistic background is easily identified. They have that on other fora.

Christian

Advice needed please- recently removed the pipe assembly with pistons from '57 DS 19 gearbox but didn't realize the shims were different thickness- does anyone know the order of these washers!? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 279
Hello all just picked up a set of resolfin wheels for my C4
they came with that ridiculous security bolt that I want to replace for four normal ones

My question is are all of the C4 alloy wheels using the same wheel bolts ?.
thought Id ask the brains trust before I frequent the wreckers

Hi, new member and first post. be kind. :giggle: I have a 2005 C4 VTS coup, petrol, done 160,000k. Got cheap but have repaired clutch, new rotors, drive belt, software update and now runs realy well, a joy to drive. Just one issue is the revcounter disply is blank untill the car gets warm. We live in Queensland, so after 30min in the sun it blinks on and off a few times then comes on and stays on. Before I start pulling the dash panels apart I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix might be?

Hi, new member and first post. be kind. :giggle: I have a 2005 C4 VTS coup, petrol, done 160,000k. Got cheap but have repaired clutch, new rotors, drive belt, software update and now runs realy well, a joy to drive. Just one issue is the revcounter disply is blank untill the car gets warm. We live in Queensland, so after 30min in the sun it blinks on and off a few times then comes on and stays on. Before I start pulling the dash panels apart I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix might be?
How did you go?