TCR & S5000 - 2021

Looking forward to the new BOP. which gives the Peugeot’s a 30 kgs advantage over the Audi’s. Go Aaron Cameron!

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new BOP. which gives the Peugeot’s a 30 kgs advantage over the Audi’s. Go Aaron Cameron!
Where can I find the detailed BOP updates?
Thanks.
I'm not sure the BOP system is working that well. Recent history has shown the different makes perform differently at the different tracks. I don't think they can find a formula which evens out the cars all the time. And I believe they take into account performance on European tracks, each one different to any in Australia.
It would be interesting to let them run without individual handicaps, but with the control tyres and engine performance control. I'm sure some cars will excel at some tracks, and midfield on others. I think the drivers are making a big difference here. Like Girolamo was it? - in the Honda at Sandown 2019 - ran away with each race, but other Honda's lagging behind.
Interesting though.

Speedcafe today announced the latest BOP as conducted by WSC Group, the global owner of the category.

As I understand it, the changes have been made based on the results of all the TCR results worldwide.

For TCR Australia, there have been adjustments made and reported here-

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/04/28/bop-adjustments-ahead-of-smp-tcr-round/.

The formula seems difficult to understand when we only see the results of our local series.

Maybe a detailed explanation from the governing body as to how the formula for each country is arrived at?

Girolamo in taking a 3 from 3 clean sweep at Sandown showed than the pilot is certainly a factor.

Speedcafe today announced the latest BOP as conducted by WSC Group, the global owner of the category.

As I understand it, the changes have been made based on the results of all the TCR results worldwide.

For TCR Australia, there have been adjustments made and reported here-

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/04/28/bop-adjustments-ahead-of-smp-tcr-round/.

The formula seems difficult to understand when we only see the results of our local series.

Maybe a detailed explanation from the governing body as to how the formula for each country is arrived at?

Girolamo in taking a 3 from 3 clean sweep at Sandown showed than the pilot is certainly a factor.

As you might understand, TCR is a global concept and input from the performance of every vehicle in the various worldwide series are included before any BOP adjustments are made. There are no local BOP's for Australia, or anywhere else! :)

From 2018: file:///C:/Users/luxsa/Downloads/2018_TCR_Technical_Regulations_2018_02_27.pdf

You might not be aware that the governing body can impose or remove weight, add mandated ride height increases and if all else fails they can fiddle with the ECU's (a validated ECU for each model is kept as a reference for each homologated model which can be swapped at any time for one in a competing vehicle) to drop a small percentage of horsepower.

Last edited:
I thought I made that clear? It’s based on global results. Nothing special for each country.

Maybe the DPO Hyundai’s who complained that they lost time in the first and third sectors at Bathurst compared to other brands lost sight that it’s a global parity system?

I thought I made that clear? It’s based on global results. Nothing special for each country.

Just this: "Maybe a detailed explanation from the governing body as to how the formula for each country is arrived at?"

Maybe the DPO Hyundai’s who complained that they lost time in the first and third sectors at Bathurst compared to other brands lost sight that it’s a global parity system?

And as we all know, there's no point in turning up if you are not guaranteed to win! ;)

It’s one of the good things with TCR compared to other categories. The amount of money you bring/spend doesn’t guarantee success.

I don't know, looking at some of the transporters rolling in tonight there is no shortage of money in any of the teams.

Gees there is some gear they come with.

Whenever these "serious" categories come in I'm reminded how SMSP was build for bikes.

I'm going to push my POS next to the Reno team and see if they accidentally install a turbo on it.

TCR Qualifying:

1. Dylan O'Keeffe. - Renault Megane
2. Josh Buchan. - Hyundai i30N.
3. James Moffat - Renault Megane

9. Aaron Cameron - Peugeot 308
10. Jason Bargwanna - Peugeot 308
(9 & 10 may be reversed - just working from memory 😁).

22 cars on the track.
Race 1 at 1.25pm today.

Last edited:
It's been a busy couple of days for me, but here is an update on the weekends TCR racing.

Race 1 - Saturday:
Renaults qualified 1 & 3, but O'Keefe required work on the grid so was relegated to start from pit lane. Moffat flubbed the start but recovered and had a good finish.
How good to see a race with 22 cars, and there are a few more to come during the year I think.

Race 2 - Sunday:
Sunday start was delayed due to fog, Moffat really flubbed the start this time, but he and O'Keefe both finished reasonably well, so were in reasonable positions for the start of race 3. Another good race worth watching.

Race 3 - Sunday:
Close racing but a couple of safety cars making a farce of the race (in my opinion). I reckon with a 15 lap sprint race, if they are going to time limit it, it should have about a 15 minute extension - not 5 minutes. I think 3 full laps were completed, not a good look for the category, and easily amended.

Overall, GRM had mixed results with their Renaults, Peugeots and Alfas - with 7 cars in the event you would expect to at least have some success, and 3 cars in the top 5 in race 3 gave them that, but also with some badly damaged cars during the weekend.

I enjoyed watching it, especially now with the full field of cars, and the BOP seemed to have worked out OK at this track.
Cheers.