TCR & S5000 - 2021

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
It's on again after a "blank" year. Plenty of action happening behind the scenes, a couple of Supercar drivers taking part in the first event at least.

The Renaults have been upgraded for 2021, I believe larger engines (they were previously running 1.8L in a 2.0L category, I believe).

Looking like a good race meeting coming up this weekend and Australia Day at Symmons Plains, Tas.
Various categories including TCR, S5000, TCM, TransAm, and more, all now under the wing of ARG (Australian Racing Group).
If you are in Tassie might be worth trying to get a ticket, they are not expensive.

https://www.australianracinggroup.co...lains-raceway/

TV & Streaming:
Free-to-air on Ch 7mate, 3 hours each day on Mon 25/1 and Tues 26/1.
And an extra 3 hours each day streaming live on 7Plus.
(Well, that's how I understand it)

Looking forward to a full year of TCR myself - it's a great category.

Cheers.

Great work!👍
Thanks for the heads up.😎

I’m keen to see the Renaults again in the TCR category. The rest of the weekend‘s programme looks very watchable (without the hype of the V8 series which is mainly on pay tv, apart from 6 races, I read)

The Renaults have been upgraded for 2021, I believe larger engines (they were previously running 1.8L in a 2.0L category, I believe).

Have you got some info on the engine capacity increase?
I cant find anything to confirm that.

Have you got some info on the engine capacity increase?
I cant find anything to confirm that.

My usually excellent memory may have let me down here. Going back to an Auto Action article June 2020 (which I can't copy or link to), it states roughly that the new 1.8L engine is that used in the Megane RS, previously the TCR engine was a bored out 1.6L Clio unit (to 1.8L). New engine gets more power and should be more reliable. I think I have seen a more recent article stating they are running a bigger engine, and knowing it was previously 1.8L I may have jumped to the conclusion it would be a 2.0L. Sorry about that.

It was meaningful for me, in that when I went to the Sandown meeting Sept 2019, I was lucky to be given a personal tour of GRM facility the next day by Barry Rogers, and they really are good friendly people. During the tour there was a Megane TCR bare engine on the bench, and it looked TINY, he said it was a 1.8L, and I wondered why they would even contemplate running a 1.8L engine in a 2.0L category? I rationalised that it may be one of those engines that has better power/weight ratio, and some engines are just designed stronger and suit competition better, with lower capacity. Plus it is a controlled max power output category, so if you can get the performance with the lighter engine, why not? Anyway, it looks like it may still be 1.8L so let's all hope it is even more competitive this year.

Only link I can find:
https://www.touringcartimes.com/202...ort-unveil-updated-renault-megane-rs-evo-tcr/

Cheers.

My usually excellent memory may have let me down here. Going back to an Auto Action article June 2020 (which I can't copy or link to), it states roughly that the new 1.8L engine is that used in the Megane RS, previously the TCR engine was a bored out 1.6L Clio unit (to 1.8L). New engine gets more power and should be more reliable. I think I have seen a more recent article stating they are running a bigger engine, and knowing it was previously 1.8L I may have jumped to the conclusion it would be a 2.0L. Sorry about that.

It was meaningful for me, in that when I went to the Sandown meeting Sept 2019, I was lucky to be given a personal tour of GRM facility the next day by Barry Rogers, and they really are good friendly people. During the tour there was a Megane TCR bare engine on the bench, and it looked TINY, he said it was a 1.8L, and I wondered why they would even contemplate running a 1.8L engine in a 2.0L category? I rationalised that it may be one of those engines that has better power/weight ratio, and some engines are just designed stronger and suit competition better, with lower capacity. Plus it is a controlled max power output category, so if you can get the performance with the lighter engine, why not? Anyway, it looks like it may still be 1.8L so let's all hope it is even more competitive this year.

Only link I can find:
https://www.touringcartimes.com/202...ort-unveil-updated-renault-megane-rs-evo-tcr/

Cheers.

One would suspect that the TCR 1.8L engine would need to be the same spec as the Alpine GT4 1.8L to be producing a reliable 350 bhp (approx.) Was the Vukovic Megane RS released before the Alpine GT4? That may be why a bored out Clio 1.6L was used?

TCR field has been set at 18 cars for Symmons Plains.
This link for info, also TV and 7Plus streaming times:
https://tcraustralia.com/2021/01/22...egfGSMbIeKIRrXShEUt6C4fQo1lqc_3klaYEp-QkD8rlw

And here are a few gratuitous TCR photos from my visit to Sandown Sept 2019 (just to revive the memory!):

(First pic is by a pro photographer friend of mine, others are my photos).

DSC_0277_reduced.jpg
IMG_20190921_130353119_red.jpg
IMG_20190921_130508629_red.jpg
IMG_20190921_130532861_red.jpg

And the Peugeot at The Bend in November 2019:

P1120248_reduced.jpg

Last edited:
I have just noticed in the TCR entry list, there are now 3 Peugeots on the grid, in addition to the 2 Meganes. No VW Golfs as yet, but I think they are still around.
So there has been a few more cars come into the country since the 2019 season, which bodes well for increased fields later this year. If they can get 25 cars on the grid, it will be great to watch.

Tasmania - Symmons Plains.

Monday's TCR race was fairly processional, the Alfas dominating this event. Previous fast cars, Hyundais and Hondas, further back, possibly from BOP (Balance of Performance) weight penalties, or just suiting the track. Renaults disappointing to me, running midfield even with their promise of better power.

But Race 1 today, different story! Alfas still up there but Cameron in the Peugeot 308 made a super start and was in front by the second corner, then led first half of the race, until some problem slowed him towards the end, and he fell back. Both Renaults got camera time from causing accidents, and the race was full of incidents, great to watch. Jordan Cox (Alfa) got to the front and then started setting lap records each of his last few laps.

Race 3 to come at 3.25pm (AEDT) - looking forward to it.

Jordan Cox (Alfa) got to the front and then started setting lap records each of his last few laps.
If they apply BOP, I can't see how setting a lap record after lap record is a smart strategy, I would have thought bit of sandbagging might be better approach if one is aiming for the title

Last edited:
If they apply BOP, I can't see how setting a lap record after lap record is a smart strategy, I would have thought bit of sandbagging might be better approach if one is aiming for the title
I see your point, maybe it's a matter of getting the points while we can. I think (but not sure) that the BOP is based on performance of ALL cars of that make across the world series. Something is different, the Alfas were midfielders in 2019. And where are the Hyundai's? Maybe Will Brown's driving was the difference - which is what makes it hard for BOP, the driver factor.

I see your point, maybe it's a matter of getting the points while we can. I think (but not sure) that the BOP is based on performance of ALL cars of that make across the world series. Something is different, the Alfas were midfielders in 2019. And where are the Hyundai's? Maybe Will Brown's driving was the difference - which is what makes it hard for BOP, the driver factor.

The BOP is a world wide formula applied to all makes and models that have been approved as TCR competitors. The sudden changes of fortune we are seeing in Tasmania are undoubtedly due to the track suiting the holistic envelope of certain cars that have not previously been at the forefront. As long as there are a good mix of tracks in our own TCR series we should see different winners on different tracks, but given this is the first time TCR has been run at Symmons Plains the results have yet to be fed into the big bad TCR BOP computer...............

I found this explanation of the BOP's :- https://tintopguru.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/tcr-talk-explains-bop-and-compensation-weight/

and the more recent changes to BOP's:- https://www.racetechmag.com/2020/06/tcrs-new-bop/

Edit:-

and if you can't get to sleep, there's the :- https://motorsport.org.au/docs/defa...egulations---28_01_2020.pdf?sfvrsn=88a3d687_6

This 5 minute video wraps up the Tuesday TCR races well. Plenty of action here. In the last minute, big accident on second last corner, brake disc shattered on Bargwanna's Peugeot.

Cheers.

I missed race 2 on Tues. In the highlights package Aaron Cameron did a blinding start to lead by turn 1, what caused him to drop back to last by race end?

I missed race 2 on Tues. In the highlights package Aaron Cameron did a blinding start to lead by turn 1, what caused him to drop back to last by race end?
I was watching, but didn't really pick up what happened. He is the one in the highlights stuck in the pits for a while, frustrated banging on the steering wheel. Shame because he had a great start.

Thanks guys. The 11:00 am telecast start caught me out!

I was watching, but didn't really pick up what happened. He is the one in the highlights stuck in the pits for a while, frustrated banging on the steering wheel. Shame because he had a great start.
Just checked on his FB page. Mechanical problem stuck in 3rd gear. He compliments his crew to get it fixed for race 3, where he climbed to 8th from 15th.