TCR & S5000 - 2021

Demonstration event at Baskerville (Hobart) this weekend. Have seen various comments that the BOP works well, because although no changes have been made, the roles were somewhat reversed from last week, with Peugeot and Honda at the front and Alfa further back. Just a more "technical" track as they say these days. Driver comments in the video back this up.
The short video link in this article is just edited raw footage highlights, no commentary, but I reckon it sounds great!
https://www.australianracinggroup.c...o-sunday-wins-at-baskerville-tcr-invitaional/

Cheers.

Yes great to see a variety of cars competing for wins track dependant.

First main event (points round) of the year for TCR and S5000 and other ARG categories next weekend 12 - 14 March - at Phillip Island.

Schedule: Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships, Phillip Island:

https://www.australianracinggroup.com/wp-content/uploads/CNRC-PI-TIMETABLE-VERSION-20-03.03.21.pdf

Note bold print on schedule is telecast live on 7Mate. I think more of the event is being streamed on 7Plus.

Not sure how many TCRs running, but they must be getting up to about 20 cars now I think.

Cheers.

(Edit: NEXT WEEKEND not this weekend, thanks pgti6)

Last edited:
TCR to kick off this weekend at the Island. Some new entrants, some with rebuilt or new shells on their cars, some seasoned ex and current Supercars drivers.
Friday practice on Natsoft with live vision Sat qualy & Race 1 on Seven. Sunday coverage will feature races 2 & 3.
Support races well worth parking yourself in front of the box too!
Congrats to ARG for providing the most relevant and identifiable touring car racing seen for many years.

Keep an eye out on the NZ winner-takes-all single race at Hampton Downs Motorsport park where ex BTCC pilot Paul Radisich will compete for the title. The winner gets the opportunity to a free entry to one of the Australian TCR events this year.

A couple of news items:

Bargwanna Peugeots:
https://grmotorsport.com.au/2021/03/09/ben-bargwanna-reveals-one-off-livery-for-phillip-island/

S5000 News:
https://s5000.com.au/news/

Entry lists Phillip Island.
https://www.motorsportaustraliachampionships.com.au/shannons-entry-lists-confirmed/

20 TCR entries including 2 x Renault Meganes and 3 x Peugeots. Looking forward to a weekend of motorsport.
Note 7plus should be streaming Saturdays TCR Qualifying about an hour before 7Mate commences broadcast (7plus scheduled 10.00 AEDT to 4.00pm Saturday)

Full schedule post #24 above.

Cheers.

Rain forecast from 2:00pm this arvo. Should spice things up a bit.
And it did! Worth watching a replay of TCR race 1, wet race, a few big offs but no major damage. 20 cars on track makes good racing. Audi's liking Phillip Island, Mostert in Audi loved the wet, finished 30 seconds ahead of second place, amazing, but most of the field remained in fairly close competition.
Today, Sunday, looking good weather-wise, TCRs up in about half an hour, so an early breakfast for me in Perth.

I am noticing more and more the level of cooperation between ARG events and Supercars, and I think that's great. Historically, Supercars have (IMO) been protective of their brand to the point of discouraging/preventing their teams and drivers from co-operating with other categories, but now there is a lot of cross-over happening. I believe they may be hedging their bets as to what the market will be like in a couple of years, and getting in on the bandwagon.
Anyway, it's great to have drivers like Mostert, Holdsworth, Moffatt on the track, and this weekend we get Dave Reynolds commentating, he's good in a knowledgeable laconic kind of way. And they all say the TCRs are great to drive, so I hope the category goes on to great things, but remains watchable for everybody in terms of cost and accessibility.

Ok, time to sit back and watch a race.

Reactions: COL
********* SPOILER ********

The Audis certainly have the legs at Phillip Island but today's racing has been good.
Race2, Aaron Cameron beat them off the line in his Peugeot and lead for a few brilliant laps, but once they got past the Audis ran away with it.
Race 3 (final), the Audis got away but one spun off on the second corner, and Mostert pulled away a bit in the other. But after a few laps Jason Bargwanna (Peugeot) came through the field and came up to challenge Mostert. With a few laps to go, Mostert had a puncture and Bargwanna stayed in the lead to win the race. 👍
The racing was super close, with many position changes, which is what TCR racing is all about.
From his comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Reynolds get a drive in TCR, the more the merrier.
Watching a replay of race 3 is definitely worth it.

Cheers.

It was a great weekend of motorsport. The Audis had performance to burn over the rest of the field early on. The rain helped some of the rookies show their potential who carried that on into the last race. Tough luck for Chaz in the last race. It’s hard to know if Bargs snr could have challenged Chaz for the win without his puncture but he certainly closed the gap towards the end of race 3. Average lap speed for Fri quali times was 101 mph. The commentary seemed genuinely excited for the GRM Peugeot win. After having looked at most of the cars at pre season testing at Winton last year the Peugeot Sport factory built cars were a cut above the others I looked at-Vukovic Renault’s, JAS Honda’s, the Alfa’s (can’t remember who builds them) and VW.
looking forward to Bathurst next up.

That’s a good point with the cross pollination of Supercars drivers now competing and raising the participation over the competing categories once resisted by Supercars. I think fans would rather see drivers excell across a range of categories. Was it Nic Percat who said he had no interest in running in a FWD race car? I think as the category builds with its relevance to what’s on offer with small bore, turbo charged pocket rockets that manufacturers produce and sell to meet emission targets, his comments will show his ignorance to modern motorsport.

That’s a good point with the cross pollination of Supercars drivers now competing and raising the participation over the competing categories once resisted by Supercars. I think fans would rather see drivers excell across a range of categories. Was it Nic Percat who said he had no interest in running in a FWD race car? I think as the category builds with its relevance to what’s on offer with small bore, turbo charged pocket rockets that manufacturers produce and sell to meet emission targets, his comments will show his ignorance to modern motorsport.
I saw today, that S5000 have been invited to run as a support at this weekend's SANDOWN Supercars meeting. What is the world coming to?

I think that Mr Warburton having had a foot in each camp may have something to do with it. All good anyway.

The S5000 field is still too small to make for good racing IMO, but some of the racing last weekend was actually quite good.

I look at Supercars as our premium category, world class, but I look forward to the day when we can have a day of tourers with Supercars and TCR supports.
(Edit: And after a couple of years maybe the roles will be reversed - I mean do Aussies really want to watch Mustang vs Camaro racing? Maybe the TA2 category might satisfy that need, but at the moment, although I have always loved V8 racing, the TA2s just seem to be cruising around. At least TCR has a bit of noise and urgency about it).

Cheers.

(Edit 2: Sandown not Bathurst).

Last edited:
I saw today, that S5000 have been invited to run as a support at this weekend's Bathurst Supercars meeting. What is the world coming to?

Cheers.

Bathurst??, I thought they were at Sundown this coming weekend?